Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The offense.... it's Portis (and the O-line)

DjTj

In Die Hard's "it's Brunell" thread, I posted an analysis of Brunell's last 7 games compared with his performance last year:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1941203&postcount=440

It doesn't look good at all, but I still think that the 2005 Redskins is offense is much improved over the 2004 incarnation. The difference has not been Brunell, who has become the exact same QB that stunk it up last year. Earlier in the season, the difference was Santana Moss, but recently, it has been Portis.

I'm not asking what's wrong with our offense, I'm asking what's right with our offense - and what's right is the running game. Through 13 games last year, Portis was under 4 yards per carry, he had only scored 5tds (and would score no more), and we only had 4 wins. Right now we already have 7 wins, and here are his stats:

Portis 2004 (13 games): 298car 1173yds 3.9ypc 5tds

Portis 2005 (13 games): 275car 1184yds 4.3 ypc 8tds

More importantly, Portis has stepped it up over the last 7 games, when the passing game has been faltering. Here's a comparison of Portis with Brunell, with Ramsey, and in the last 7 games:

Portis 2004 (Brunell games): 184car 741yds 4.0ypc 2tds

Portis 2004 (Ramsey games): 139car 505yds 3.6ypc 3tds

Portis 2005 (last 7 games): 152car 640yds 4.2ypc 5tds

Portis wore down a bit towards the end of last year, but this year he seems to be getting stronger as the season goes on. Brunell has been bad lately, but our running game is keeping us alive. Hopefully we can ride Portis to three more wins. :dallasuck

If he can continue his 7 game tear we will be in good shape. Lets give credit to the o-line as well. Many people jump on their backs, but hey are asked to do a lot of things they aren't meant to. Dockery should never be pulling because he is 6'6" 330 some odd lbs. Jansen and Samuels are both strong mothas. THomas and Raebach seem to be good all around but better in a power running game. When portis busted that last carry to finish off the arizona game it was the strength of our linemen that pushed him through. THey need to go out there and manhandle the cowpukes.

Interesting.

The thread this one is modelled after is fast approaching 500 responses and 6400 views.

This one slid quietly off page one with 2 and 75.

Apparently, the same phenomenon that makes the nightly news a 30-minute breathless blitz on the demise of civilization is alive and well on our humble little football message board. :)

Interesting.

The thread this one is modelled after is fast approaching 500 responses and 6400 views.

Apparently, the same phenomenon that makes the nightly news a 30-minute breathless blitz on the demise of civilization is alive and well on our humble little football message board. :)

Controversy is more fun.

But in all fairness, this thread was posted at 2 am. Die Hard's was posted a little before 12. The amount of people going to sleep between 12 and 2 is probably large. :)

Now in response to the original post... This team has been ridiculously up and down. Early in the season, I was cringing when we ran the ball, and happy when we were dropping back to pass. Now it's vice versa. Hopefully we can get both on track at the same time for once.

It's been my observation that "Player/Coach X SUCKS!" threads take flight no matter what time they're posted, brother. :)

True, but you have to admit that there was some good debate in that thread, much more so than in the "Fire the entire staff and Snyder too!!!!" threads.

Personally, I miss the threads describing how we would:

- Trade the #5 overall pick and Samuels for the #1 pick

- Trade Portis for Ricky Williams

- Sign TO (just kidding, there was nothing entertaining at all about this one)

Not passing judgement on the merits of the arguments made here, btw.

Just holding up to the light the incredible disparity between interest/participation in threads where the underlying premise is that something sucks, as opposed to that something's rockin'.

Somewhere, alien military research zoologists are reading this stuff and deciding that when the time comes to invade Earth, all they have to do is show up and speak in positive terms. By the time anyone pays them any attention, they'll have already won. :)

Hopefully we can ride Portis to three more wins.

By process of elimination, we have to hope so.

Our coaching staff has worked on the running game and it does seem to be improving. I'm sure they have worked equally hard on the passing game, but it seems to be headed south.

In the Arizona game, Gibbs gambled and made a fourth and two to keep their TD drive alive. If we are going to pound the running game from here on out, I'd like to see more of that. We don't have the firepower to be conservative with our playcalling.

On a sample size of two threads? ....tsk....tsk

No, not based on a sample size of two threads.

Based on the experience of several years of posting and moderating among this very crowd and inspired, in this instance, by two mirror threads with numbers so stark it seemed a shame to waste the opportunity.

But I do appreciate your kind effort to introduce some clearly needed controversy to spark the thread ... :)

Interesting.

:notworthy you post the truth

Interesting.

Just for that I have to make a post.. because I just can NOT fall victim to this phenomenon!

But yes.. it's been intresting watching this years offense continually morph based on the health and welfare of it's players!

On a side note.. did you know our WORST running game actually came against the EAGLES.. where as a team we ran a putrid 2.96 YPC?!?!

Archived