Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Slant

GatorEye

I'd like to throw out a new theory. No one here was realistically predicting a 16-0 season. Isn't it just possible that Pittsburg might be better than us? I mean I'd certainly like to think we're better than every team in the league, but let's face it - at this point we aren't.

Perhaps we're an upper middle of the road team right now. The sky isn't falling like some are saying. Let's face it - we're playing against playoff teams and the defending Super Bowl champs in preseason. I know he's one of the greatest coaches around, but perhaps we should give SOS a little more time before we expecting to be running up and down the field on some of the best teams (and the best defensive teams) in the league. I know Carolina isn't in this group, but SF and Pittsburg are, as well as Tampa and the Pats, so we should keep that in mind in the next few weeks.

At least this is what I'm telling myself. :D

Who says we're not going 16-0? :D Just kidding, but I find it funny that opposing fans are suddenly doing an about face and saying, "get used to it 'Skins!" Had we ran up 50 on Pittsburgh, they would have said "Oh, it was a preseason game, they weren't going full speed, blah blah blah."

Had that game been in the regular season, we would have been crushed. But it wasn't in the regular season, so it doesn't effin matter.

Orangskin, if Kordell had stayed in the game, I honestly think we would have won. I have never thought he was anything more than a gimmick QB and last night was no different. If Batch had started on the other hand.... it would have been a LONNNGG night.

Notice that our starting defense handled their offense relatively easily until Kordell was knocked out.

it is very difficult to tell how good teams are going to be from one season to the next.

I don't think the Steelers are going to regress to 8-8 or 9-7 but I don't think they are going to be 13-3 either.

They DO have strong lines on both sides of the ball and are one of the few teams that in a regular season game CAN exploit the weaknesses of the Redskins on the interior OL and with size at DE where Smith, Powell and Jackson are undersized.

That said, the Redskins made enough mistakes on their own which were not caused by the opponent to cloud the outcome of the starters vs. starters matchup in the first quarter.

The Redskins turned the ball over 5 times in the first 35 minutes and were behind 27-7. The Steelers scored 20 points on those turnovers, which neatly accounts for the point differential to that point of the game :)

Other than the normal knicks and scraps that come with body contact sports, (NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, Boxing), and the fact it's now coming down to who do you keep, the Skins DL should be fine. Of course Gardener would have an impact, but Carl Powell, like Ladarias Jackson, Chris Doering, Danny Wuerffel , Derrius Thompson, and Gellispie, only helps to reassure us, we now have some depth in the key spots once before with question marks.

I would have thought the expextation WOULD be at least 8-8 and only the really appreciative and knowledgeable fans would understand that. Yes it being Spurrier's first year in the NFL would count for something, but it doesn't have the impact that many had thought (Lions and Tigers and Bears,oh my). Not even.

SS is special and you'd be ignorant to it, if you looked at some predecessors and slapped their jive a** label on him. Won't work.

The record won't tell you about the man. It's the way he does his thing and gets the players involved in it.

Did Pittsburgh lay down the law. In some ways, but then again, by far this was a game where the coaches acknowledged they seem spacey or letting up after a few reps. I believe they (players) saw what it was going to be like in the regular season and said to themselves, they'd rather save the monster effort for then. Sure they played, but the level they will show in the regular season, is nothing like you've seen in a while. I guess, if you've coached on their level, you could easily see what's coming. For most of us, we have to piece together the puzzle, that only SS will complete before opening day kickoff, then that puzzle (roster) and how he and Lewis uses it, will match perfectly.

The record could even be at a point where many would say maybe he aint what we thought, but remember, the lessons from the past and remember, that SS IS a BALL COACH. Not a commentator, prima dona, slick talker, naysayer, clueless, barker, or mad scientist or even Chuckie. He's patient, intelligent and soon some will say, genius.

Lewis clearly saw what he didn't like and addressed it. He is very aware of safety and the need to get the players on one page, but then again, here's a good consolation for you, he was talking about his depth players, more so. Sure he didn't like the runs, but ALL great defenses have given up big plays (just not consistantly). How many times did our O send them back on the field (without points on the board??). Ok, so see, we weren't keeping pace in other departments as time went by. These are things coaches can see, but fans may not.

Redskins 11-5

I watched the whole game at the sportsbar.....When it was the ENTIRE full STARTING squads, the score ended up being 7-0. Then the starters were kind of spread out to where we would have Wilkinson in on the line but the other 3 lineman would be 2nd/3rd stringers. If you watch the game, the Steelers never really established a running game at all until we started pulling out our starting defenders. I am not trying to say we are as good as the Steelers, just that I feel we can COMPETE with ANY TEAM in the league, maybe not beat them in a playoff game, but we can COMPETE.......Remember, the Steelers are one of the favorites to come out of the AFC this year, if not win it ALL~!

IF we can finish 9-7 with the tough schedule we have, that should be a major victory for all Skins fan. I think the year after next, there coudl be a possiblity of scoring 50 in quite a few games. SS will improve the team this year but in the next two, we will probably be high scoring contenders.

I believe given this is SOS first season we will go 9-7 because we do have some difficult teams to play this year.

We will be competitive, not like the Norval, and Schott days where basically we were over matched and gave up when the going got tough!

Looking forward to a successful season and a 12-4 in 2003!

Archived