Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many calories a day to lose weight?

Bugs'

your saying you can't lose weight if you don't exercise? Not trying to be a prick but that isn't true. If you want immediate weight lose you pretty much have to exercise, but if you go from 5000 to 3500 calories a day and continue the same lifestyle over time that person will no doubt lose weight.

I never said you wouldn't lose weight... re-read my post. But speaking from experience, I have never seen "significant" weight loss, in myself or others, unless you factor in exercise.

After that, the SECOND thing you should do is exercise. More if you already do some.

Limiting calories will work short term, but it wont sustain unless you stick to that amount.

Exactly. Losing weight isnt about what you injest, its about what your body does with it. If you are active, your body burns calories as fuel instead of storing them as fat. In theory, if you are sitting around all day, then your body will store calories as fat in hopes that one day you get up and do something. See, your body even wants you to go for a jog. Dont fight it.

First of all I was at 250 summer of 2004 and now Im at 190 as we speak. I dont know exactly how many calories to intake, but I can give advice..Tell him to follow these easy steps and the pounds will fall off and stay off ok..here we go..

1. First thing in the morning he needs to drink 8oz. of water then go for a 20 minute walk.[The body burns more CALORIES first thing in the morning]

2. Then eat breakfast? only after the walk. Ex: Bowl of Raisin Bran with 2% lowfat milk with a little bit of honey, and a glass of juice.

3. Have a schedule at 9am eat breakfast at noon eat lunch, at 3pm eat a snack and at 6pm eat dinner. Times can fluctuate according to his schedule, but he needs to eat every 3 hours it speeds up metablism. Up top is just an example. [He will never feel hugry if he eats like this every 3 hours]

4. Never eat anything after 7pm!

5. He does not need to count calories, he needs to eat less fast food or unhealthy products like chocolate bars and etc. Also if he drinks soda thats a big no no..he can eat whatever is healthy if he wants a salad he needs to add lemon juice on it no dressings, if he wants seconds he can he can eat as much as he wants as long as its healthy. If hes like me he will lose weight cause hes cutting out the bad foods and especially the soda. That soda alone in a year he can lose 10 pounds just off not drinking soda.

6. Should drink lots of water, if hes thirsty he needs to drink water, juices are good only in the morning because they contain lots of sugar..[if he wants juice orange juice is good it has lots of vitamin C and cranberrie juice is great cause it makes you go to the bathroom and cleans you out]

7. Needs to eat lots of green vegetables and fruit, plenty of protiens like meats and eggs and carbs, but the carbs not past lunch time.[For the first month he should eat nothing, but soup for dinner]

8. Needs plenty of sleep and at least 6 hours of excersice a week.

9. Should go for a 20 minute walk after dinner instead of sitting on the food and going to bed.

10. Also should drink a hot tea right before going to sleep it cleanses out the body and helps you relax to get a good night sleep.

For the last thing he needs to go to the bathroom at least once a day, Im talking about the #2..this might sound gross, but if his crap floats then hes losing fat, if it sinks to the bottom of the toilet then hes eating to many carbs and he needs to reduce that k and for the #1 the more times he goes the better once his urine is clear and not yellow then hes drinking enough water throughout the day.

Well hope that helps , but it definately works Ill post a pic of me now and a pic of me then when I find one k, Im no Jared, but this worked for me he should at least give it a try!

Guess we can call it the "DONT EAT SO DAMN MUCH DIET"...lol! :laugh:

Alexandre Daniel aka KING LEO! i.p.emwink.gif

I went from 280 to 210 by doing the following:

1. No Fried Foods

2. No late night eating

3. Only drink on weekends

4. Slowly worked my way up to burning 3500-4000 calories per week via treadmill and elliptical machine, more so the elliptical especially in the beginning because its easy on the joints.

5. Modified my program if I got bored, example exercise bike, playing basketball (at least 3 games of running...no cherry pickin)

6. No Buffets, too tempting

7. No fast food

8. Limited my calorie intake to 2000 a day

9. The days that I really did not feel like working out I made sure I did

because to me thats your body resisting change

10. Avoided eating large quantities of bread.

11. Ate a lot of vegetables (especially leafy green)

12. Avoided high quantites of red meat

13. Learned to take home "doggy" bags if I ate out instead of cleaning the plate every time

14. Lowered my beer intake, I mean thats 300 calories a pop I can drink a little cognac and get buzzed faster

15. Last but not least set a goal or "carrot" for your self...in the beginning mine was to back into to shape so I could play semi-pro football, then it switched to getting in shape for my wedding, then it switched to trying to get "cut up" like Roy Jones (by then I was down to 220 so trying to get 6 miles a days was possible, Now I'm just trying to stay in shape so I can play ball with my son and "push him"...he's 2 so I'm set for a while..lol

You...err I mean he can do it.......this is coming from I guy that absolutely HATED running all through high school and college....dumbest attitude I could have ever had. Not to ramble but cardio is the biggest key....I mean you dont see heavyweight sprinters, heavyweight cross country runners, or heavyweight soccer players....

For the last thing he needs to go to the bathroom at least once a day, Im talking about the #2..this might sound gross, but if his crap floats then hes losing fat, if it sinks to the bottom of the toilet then hes eating to many carbs and he needs to reduce that k and for the #1 the more times he goes the better once his urine is clear and not yellow then hes drinking enough water throughout the day.

....uh oh, I'm eating too many carbs :laugh:

Never heard that one before...good stuff King Leo!!!

For men you multiply your body weight by 12. In your case, 285 x 12= 3420. That is the number of calories your body will use a day wiothout any activity. When you burn 3500 more calories than you consume, you'll lose a pound.

For women you multiply body weight by 11.

I previously lost a lot of weight on a doctor supervised program and kept it off for a few years, but gained it back after I had major back problems. But I am starting the program again on January 18. Here is the link to the site:

http://www.hmrprogram.com/

I did the program with 2 other friends and we each lost around 5 lbs a week. It is a tough diet, but works fast and you are forced to go to class every week where they teach you a lot of nutrition information and a doctor runs blood work on you every other week.

http://www.hmrprogram.com/

I did the program with 2 other friends and we each lost around 5 lbs a week. It is a tough diet, but works fast and you are forced to go to class every week where they teach you a lot of nutrition information and a doctor runs blood work on you every other week.

Man, i remember when I wrestled, our coaches thought it would be a good idea to make us go to nutrition classes every other week. Ghey gave us info like the stuff on that website. We just took the information they gave us on the "healthy" way to lose weight and corrupted it to fit our needs, which was how to cut as much weight as physically possible in the least amount of time.

My record for cutting weight in one week was 9 pounds......this is with already having almost no body fat and weighing 127 pounds.

I also lost 3 pounds in 6 hours once.

• 7 months later...

I'm currently 300 lbs and want to get down to 190-195 a year from now (weight I wrestled and played football at in high school). Are the following realistic goals, if so, any tips on what I need to eat/do in terms of exercise on each phase of the journey? I know the pounds will be tougher to remove the closer I get to my ultimate goal weight, so I have myself losing the most in the first 2 months and then tapering off.

August 31: 275 lbs

September 30: 255 lbs

October 31: 245 lbs

November 30: 235 lbs

December 31: 230 lbs

January 30: 225 lbs

February 28: 220 lbs

March 31: 215 lbs

April 30: 210 lbs

May 31: 205 lbs

June 30: 200 lbs

July 31: 195 lbs

Hey, I've been waiting for a thread like this! I'm sure my husband won't mind me sharing these before and after photos. He first tried the South Beach diet but it is far too restrictive so he has been keeping his calorie journal on www.calorieking.com and it's great! He does about 1400-1700 calories per day and it helps him eat in moderation instead of starving himself. So far he has lost 55 lbs. at a rate of about 2 lbs. per week. The neat thing is, it hasn't really felt like a diet -- he has just made better decisions. We take frequent walks so that he gets some physical activity.

Torrance_Then_Now-Small.jpg

A few simple observations:

Do what you can sustain over the long term. Your friend didn't get fat in a few months and so loosing weight too quickly increases the chance of failing. Making simple changes that aren't alien to you will be most likely to be maintained.

Cutting out bad calories, such as soda, sugary foods and replacing them with healthier foods is a start. A can of soda a day equates to close to thirty pounds a year.

Getting in regular exercise will make a huge difference; again it should be something that you enjoy and will sustain. A regular modest daily walk taken over the course of a year will burn many more calories than running for a few months. And you will be less likely to get hurt if the activity is new to you.

I find if I haven't exercised in a long time or watched my diet and want to loose weight, I easily loose a pound a week just by running three or four times a week and eating healthily most of the time. A pound a week isn't a lot, but over the course of a year you would loose fifty pounds. Again, gradual and sustainable is the way to go. Unless you are facing a serious health crisis, making radical change such as picking a different diet on seriously restricted calories may not be something you can stick with.

Archived