Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How many calories a day to lose weight?

Bugs'

Ohhhh Fuuuudggggeeee.....your cutting me off from wings aren't you?!? Damn man' date=' it's not me its a friend![/quote']

:laugh: No my friend... "your friend" can splurge every now and then... But I will talk to you about what I did....

For a guy your size, you can likely eat 2000 calories a day and still lose weight. Don't try to cut down to like 1000 or you will be hungry as hell.

2000 is a pretty good amount to keep you satisfied. You might not be "full", but you won't be having hunger pains.

1500 and 2000 calories are good for many....but for a 285lb man.... he would suffer some serious hunger pain. It takes almost over 4900 calories a day to maintain that weight for someone with a relatively sedentary lifestyle. Any decent diet that will result in long term weight loss should take off only take off 1-2 lbs a week. Don't starve the poor man!

3500 calories eliminated/burned = 1 lb of weight loss....

Bugs' - you need to start this after the season...errr...I mean your FRIEND needs to start this after the season. I was 30 pounds lighter last Spring than this fall. 1,500 calories plus exercise is my advice. You may be hungry the first week but it will get better. Sart increasing calories when you lose weight to see what amount causes weight gain. Try not to yo-yo like me! Tough to do during tailgating season...5,000 calorie tailgate is killing me!!

:doh:

Lot's of threads on weight loss. Check the search feature.

The very FIRST thing you must do is figure out why you are overweight. I suggest the journal approach in which you keep a detailed account of everything you eat and the amount of activity you do for a week.

After that, the SECOND thing you should do is exercise. More if you already do some.

Limiting calories will work short term, but it wont sustain unless you stick to that amount.

Guest sith lord
Lot's of threads on weight loss. Check the search feature.

The very FIRST thing you must do is figure out why you are overweight. I suggest the journal approach in which you keep a detailed account of everything you eat and the amount of activity you do for a week.

After that, the SECOND thing you should do is exercise. More if you already do some.

Limiting calories will work short term, but it wont sustain unless you stick to that amount.

I used to be overweight. Believe me, you know why you're overweight. In my case, it was eating 3/4 cheesehamburgers at one sitting. But I do agree with your third point about your calorie intake.

I think 1500 calories a day would drive my friend to suicidal ideation.....he just told me he is up to around 1200 calories today at 3:10pm and he is hungry as sin...he would search for previous threads on this but that is partly why he is fat, he's lazy :silly:

Guest sith lord
Bugs, you...er, your friend can have a cheat day during the week. Make it sunday!

Exercise is really important, too.

Trust me, cheat days can ruin the entire week of dieting. But I admitt, I'm guilty of this.

exercise is the absolute key..... you may lose some weight by dieting, but you really won't see that huge of an improvement unless you diet and exercise....

your saying you can't lose weight if you don't exercise? Not trying to be a prick but that isn't true. If you want immediate weight lose you pretty much have to exercise, but if you go from 5000 to 3500 calories a day and continue the same lifestyle over time that person will no doubt lose weight.

I think 1500 calories a day would drive my friend to suicidal ideation.....he just told me he is up to around 1200 calories today at 3:10pm and he is hungry as sin...he would search for previous threads on this but that is partly why he is fat' date=' he's lazy :silly:[/quote']

Poor dude.....everyone is throwing up these diet links when I think the link you need is http://www.papajohns.com :laugh:

If you want to losing weight, do it slowly and you have a higher chance of keeping it of. Decrease about 300 calories a DAY (not meal), and then add exercise into the equation.

All this means is maybe not grabbing those 2 beers, or that extra helping at dinner time. If it's possible to exercise, this can cut down your appetite by itself. Depending where you work, you can add a simple thing as walking, too, instead of say staying at a desk/table all lunch break.

It all depends on how active he is. I've also heard that every displaced 10,000 calories is equal to roughly 1 pound on the average person. It's pretty unscientific, but it sort of make since. Kind of like how you can tell if your dehydrated by the color of you pee.

To lose a pound of body weight - not water, you must lose approx 3,000 calories.

Archived