Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

biggest coaching regret since norv left?

skinfan2k

i honestly believe that firing marty was fine, but i believe the skins should have given the head coaching duties to marvin lewis instead of the ole ball coach. he is a great players coach and it seems thought the city of cincy loves him. I truly believe the skins would be a contender like the bengals currently are. The defense of the skins was good under lewis and he needed to make a few adjustments to make a playoff caliber team. Strong running game and a strong defense could have been a great start.

Ummm...check out Stephen Davis's numbers. We we would have Stephen Davis of 2004 and 2005, not the Stephen Davis of 2000. He has hit that wall that many running backs hit in their 30s.

Yes, he has. But Stephen Davis would be a monster in Gibb's offense, more so than Rogers, Riggins, and Riggs were. Do you know how I knew Spurrier was going to fail? In the NFL you have to use the personell you have to the best of teams ability and he didn't do that. In 2002, Stephen Davis was our best offensive player, but Spurrier chose to pass the ball and run draw plays rather than just run the damn ball. So, in doing that he failed Stephen and he failed himself as well.

If Snyder hired Marvin Lewis he would have been fired after one or two years. He wouldn't have been given adequate time to turn things around. This is the NFL it takes years to build a winner not months and Synder is just finally realizing this. That's why he hired Gibbs, to build a winner not buy one.

easily losing marty and hiring SS.

what a debacle.

the thing i'm excited for now is that Dan Snyder is obviously going to stick it out with Gibbs. by doing so, hopefully, he'll see that teams do better when they have continuity throughout several seasons. maybe this will help us in the years following Gibb's tenure, and that is, him not firing on a two year basis......

....unless it's anyone who's last name is Spurrier.

Seriously now... Already making inferences about Gibbs. All those bad seasons over the past decade, he comes in with a broken up team and has only had 2 drafts/free agencies to turn this team around, and if you think theyre not on the right path considering how close just about every game (minus the giants game) has been. Look how far we progressed from one year ago. 'Nuff said.

He knows how to build championship teams, and thats what he is doing. This team is still under construction

Oh, and yes Hiring Spurrier was a bad idea.

We are much better this year than last year, that is fact. Our mistake was thinking that Gibbs would take Spurrier's, Schottenheimer's, and Turner's players and make them winners like he did with Pardee's players. Having five head coaches in five seasons(2000-2004) would make the task more difficult. Having to learn new schemes and then unlearn them every year also hurts the team. Gibbs is doing a great job. Offensively, we are one pass receiving running back out of the back field away and big receiver away from being the kind of offense that got the job done when Gibbs was here before.

I think the worst decision/regret since Norv is hiring Spurrier. The dude was a total flake. Everything seemed so loose when he was here, like he was figuring it out as he went. He sucked for two years, then he just left...dude should have never came out of college coaching.

I liked Norv

I have no opinion of Marty

Marvin Lewis wouldn't have gotten good results here

I love Gibbs, but I think he needs more fire...

Spurrier was worth the gamble. He'd have been either great or a total flop. Marty had lost the team and then lost every meaningful game that mattered after somehow scratching back to .500. The team mutinied on him and with the same coaching cast would have probably been a middling to losing team again. Spurrier was a shot at greatness. I applaud them for rolling the dice. It didn't work out, but it was worth a shot.

I liked Norv. Marty would have been effective if it werent for Banks/George @ QB. Spurrier was a joke - Danny Awful, paying homage to Michael Jackson w/ the Black Glove. The real question is, what is going to happen w/ G. Williams in the off-season??? Does he stay? The Lions need a coach and so will the Pack. Denny Green maybe hitn' the pavement. Mike Tice is probably out even if those friggn 'Vikes take our Wild Card spot. Or, how about this, say we make just fall short of the playoffs, Gibbs feels good about the 'Skins progress and decide to go to the front office and Mr. Williams comes to the forefront!??!?!

Huh? What about them apples?

:cheers:

Archived