Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The offense.... it's Brunell.

Die Hard

Going into the game, I made a concerted effort to watch our receivers (particularly Jacobs) to get to the bottom of the problem of our anemic passing offense. There are something you can see at the game - and on the sidelines - that you cannot appreciate on TV (ie. wide receiver patterns and coverage).

Given the "general" blame that has been spread (pass protection, defensive pass protection - double coverage, Jacobs' lack of talent, etc)... I figured it was a worthwhile focus.

Here's what I noticed. If I was going to place blame on ANYBODY about our passing offense... I'd put it on 2 things:

(2) Joe Gibbs. Not so much playcalling... but play design. The passing routes of our receivers are basic. You see any slants? Crossing patterns? Picks? Isolating matchups? Never.

Our receivers line up and run simple in-routes, out-routes and go-routes. As a BIG surprised yesterday... Jacobs single 7-yard completion was a comeback route. The same route he ran when he dropped (ie. defensed) the second time.

Yesterday, the Card defense yesterday was PRIME to attack via the passing game. Almost 70% of the game they were in 1-deep coverage. Corners playing man and 1 safety deep providing coverage over top.

Do you think they were rolling the safety to Moss? Nope. Common misperception.

Defenses have found "keys" in our passing game. It seemed they were always correctly rolling the saftey to the correct side.

Cornerbacks are playing 10 yards off of our receivers and turning and playing the go-route all the way. That's why our receivers aren't getting behind anyone.

(1) Mark Brunell. You want to stop him? Roll coverage to his throwing side.

Watch Brunell. He's very uncomfortable in the pocket. He won't stay in there long to deliver a pass or let pass plays develop. That's why he's running the ball.. or rolling out for passing and completing passes underneath.

We could have had Brad Johnson for nothing if we wanted a QB who will prioritize the check-downs.

He doesn't even look at the opposite side of the field... even when there's single coverage out there nearly 60% of the time. Moss and Jacobs each rotated to Brunell's right side... way outside.. and drew single coverage. Brunell didn't look their once.

It's a shame... but Mark is using half the field. And the defense is playing zone in between the hashmarks and the sidelines. That's why even if the Redskins player catches the ball... he's met immediately by defenders and taking hits. No YAC yards.

And 2 of Brunell's interceptions yesterday were literally thrown to a spot were our receivers weren't. Not even close.

Brunell is done.

We are going to get killed by the Cowboys.

And 2 of Brunell's interceptions yesterday were literally thrown to a spot were our receivers weren't. Not even close.

Tis true. Even watching the tape, the pick on the goal line you can see there was NO WR anywhere near Rolle. I'll give Brunell this much. On the earlier pick by Rolle, Brunell chased him down & made the tackle.

Guest amaprius

I think you are right....but I am one of the biggest detractors of Brunell.

That is one of the worst signings ever....we should learn to trade when our old guys get popular.

Ramsey could have led us to this record.

Let Campbell play and get experience...our season is over anyway.

Campbell might even win a couple of games and keep us at 8-8

We arent a very good offensive team thats for sure...And we are even farther handicapped by the fact that our coach insist on playing the absolute worst QB to ever dawn a Redskin uniform....But lets at least play the game. We may even get lucky again.

Going into the game, I made a concerted effort to watch our receivers (particularly Jacobs) to get to the bottom of the problem of our anemic passing offense. There are something you can see at the game - and on the sidelines - that you cannot appreciate on TV (ie. wide receiver patterns and coverage).

Given the "general" blame that has been spread (pass protection, defensive pass protection - double coverage, Jacobs' lack of talent, etc)... I figured it was a worthwhile focus.

Here's what I noticed. If I was going to place blame on ANYBODY about our passing offense... I'd put it on 2 things:

(2) Joe Gibbs. Not so much playcalling... but play design. The passing routes of our receivers are basic. You see any slants? Crossing patterns? Picks? Isolating matchups? Never.

Our receivers line up and run simple in-routes, out-routes and go-routes. As a BIG surprised yesterday... Jacobs single 7-yard completion was a comeback route. The same route he ran when he dropped (ie. defensed) the second time.

Yesterday, the Card defense yesterday was PRIME to attack via the passing game. Almost 70% of the game they were in 1-deep coverage. Corners playing man and 1 safety deep providing coverage over top.

Do you think they were rolling the safety to Moss? Nope. Common misperception.

Defenses have found "keys" in our passing game. It seemed they were always correctly rolling the saftey to the correct side.

Cornerbacks are playing 10 yards off of our receivers and turning and playing the go-route all the way. That's why our receivers aren't getting behind anyone.

(1) Mark Brunell. You want to stop him? Roll coverage to his throwing side.

Watch Brunell. He's very uncomfortable in the pocket. He won't stay in there long to deliver a pass or let pass plays develop. That's why he's running the ball.. or rolling out for passing and completing passes underneath.

We could have had Brad Johnson for nothing if we wanted a QB who will prioritize the check-downs.

He doesn't even look at the opposite side of the field... even when there's single coverage out there nearly 60% of the time. Moss and Jacobs each rotated to Brunell's right side... way outside.. and drew single coverage. Brunell didn't look their once.

It's a shame... but Mark is using half the field. And the defense is playing zone in between the hashmarks and the sidelines. That's why even if the Redskins player catches the ball... he's met immediately by defenders and taking hits. No YAC yards.

Brunell is done.

We are going to get killed by the Cowboys.

Yep Brunell had a bad day...not as bad as some want to believe..

Gibbs is an execution coach...he does not use the element of surprise as much as I like..but he believes if your the best..you'll go out there and execute..

This team is still learning that they can win even if the other teams defense guesses right..

I'm sorry..but this could quite possibly be the best team in the NFC..

toughest schedule.

7-2 in the conference

2-1 in the division...3 to go 2 of them at home...

the Skins play physical friggin football! not the pansie crap Parcells is pulling to get a win..there is a difference...

when you couple that with officiating this team receives from the league week in and week out..it's a friggin miracle just to be where we are considering how much of this game is toughness, confidence and momentum..

we got 2 out of the 3..not bad....

I'm damn proud of the Skins this season...considering what they are up against week in and week out.

now lets play SMASHMOUTH FOOTBALL!!!!!!

I would have to think Gibbs, Breaux and Musgrave HAVE to come up with something new (or not been used much this year) to put Dallas in a Stupor.....

Sadly, I've been waiting for said plays to show up and they haven't.

Hopefully, Portis, Cooley, Moss and somebody else have their A games ready.

I still think we can beat Dallas.....something (gut feeling) just says, we'll win this one.

After that--- who knows.

You're a bad fan :silly:

2 questions though.

1- Is it possible you caught Brunell on a bad day, or have you noticed this before?

2. You mention man coverage on go routes, and zone coverage preventing YAC. Which is it?

3 obervations:

1. If teams are indeed keying on go routes, it would seem a comeback is the ideal play call.

2. Gibbs has always had a reputation for extreme simplicity in play design and offense. His genius, at least historically, was timing and setting up opponents with one play over and over, lulling them to sleep, and then changing it up. This is true in the passing game and the running game.

3. I would be weary of making observations about our passing offense after 3 interceptions. If I were coach I would scale things down tremendously, and keep it simple. ESPECIALLY if our run game was churning out yards. Why take risks?

Oh yah... and concerning the Dallas comment... we certainly might lose the game (and we can certainly win it, too), but I'm a little surprised that you of all people would say that we will get crushed. Who has 'crushed' us so far this year? I can think of 1 team.

Who has 'crushed' us at home? Nobody.

Why would Dallas be any different?

Well.. Time for our defense to win us a game!

Remember, this is a Cowboys team that only scored 13 against us the last time we played them. They only scored 10 against the Giants two weeks ago.

This will be a hard-fought game that can be won on defense. If Brunell can manage the game and avoid stupid mistakes, the 12th man should help us pull out a victory.

I don't have a whole lot of faith in Brunell either right now, but I like what I see from Portis and from the offensive line. We may not score a lot, but we can score enough to win, and we can control the ball enough to keep the our defense off the field.

:dallasuck

i have been saying this all along, but maybe when you say it people will recognize. he never looks to a second receiver or go through his progressions. thats why i think dallas will have no trouble shutting down our offense. defenses only have to play half the field . dallas will be bringing safety blitzes all day cause brunell cant beat them. i know people are gonna say then santana is gonna get open but if you see his 2 td's against them the first game dallas was in the prevent defense. i also think brunell is finished . and wish we would stop wasting valuable time with ramsey or cambell. i do think ramsey would be better for now but want to see cambell get his bumps and bruises out. i dont want to see brunell anymore . he cant even manage a game.

Its time for Brunell to earn his paycheck in a big way. Earlier in the season he proved he could win the game with two bombs to Santana... now its time to step it up again.. he's had good games against Dallas.. lets hope the trend continues..

Brunnell put the team in a situation where he HAD to win it with two bombs. Had he played even bad and not horrible the first 56 minutes of the game he could have been running the clock out the last 4 minutes.

Wow, very good post. Adds more detailed evidence to what I have been complaining about. What really surprises me though is the reciever routes. Sounds like Gibbs isn't even trying to vary things. The lack of slants is especially surprising. Actually I distinctly remember in both the Chicago and 49ers games when Ramsey was in, he completed a nice slant to Moss for a big gain against the Bears, and his only completion against San Fran was an 8 yard slant to Kozlowski.

Why does Gibbs run slants with Ramsey, but won't with Brunell???

Brunnell put the team in a situation where he HAD to win it with two bombs. Had he played even bad and not horrible the first 56 minutes of the game he could have been running the clock out the last 4 minutes.

And came through.. all these negative posters.. if a boxer gets pounded for 12 rounds and wins by KO.. he's won. If a baseball team goes 9 innings, and wins it in the bottom of the 9th.. they've won. The same goes for football. You'll seem way to sensitive, pointing out all the flaws.. Why not see something positive, seeing the team unite, and pulling for them the crush Dallas..

And Brunell threw two amazing passes.. if he'd done it in the first quarter, second, third, earlier in the fourth.. it doesn't make a bit of difference! We're 7-6, with a chance to get into the playoffs.. and too many of you ponder the what if's.. woulda coulda shoulda crap.. no team is flawless.. no player has great games every week.. But these guys have won 7..

Lets make Dallas number 8

During preseason I was very excited about our offense because it really looked like Gibbs had made serious changes to the offense and it was geared more towards Ramsey's strengths, and toward getting the ball downfield and creating big plays. As soon as Brunell took over, Gibbs went back to running the same basic offense as last year. The only difference is better talent, and a few extra wrinkles, but thats it.

:whoknows:

2. You mention man coverage on go routes, and zone coverage preventing YAC. Which is it?

2 receivers.... 1 to the left (Brunell's good side).. 1 to the right.

The receiver to the right has man-coverage.... the receiver to the left has a corner.... with the safety covering overtop.

And the linebackers are dropping into zone coverage in the middle of the field.

The left side of the field is convoluted. That's why you see people catching tipped passes.

The right side of the field... the receiver enjoys man coverage. Brunell just never looks there. For whatever reason.

its been proven that in the national football league, you dont need a great quarterback to win. the skins running game has been much better as of late, and the defense is starting to play much better. if the defense and running game are great, we dont need brunell to make great plays. other than last game he has been very efficient passing the ball, not throwing too many picks. so if he doesnt turn the ball over, and we run the ball effectively we'll be FINE. if dallas shuts down our run, we could be in a little bit of trouble though. cooley and royal need to step up big in the passing game this week

Ouch.

And this news comes from a moderator of the Official Message Board of the Washington Redskins. I'd call that a candid post.

By way of corroboration, Doc Walker, on his radio show, has said that David Patten had been getting open all year, yet Brunell simply wasn't throwing the ball his way. Not so good.

Still, the Cowboys rushing defense is giving up 4.4 yards per carry, so all is not lost. Let's hope Portis has a big day.

i think coach wants brunell to start again next year also. what is it with them 2. i dont understand his loyalty with boonell. how is it coach lifted the yellow jersey off of rypien in practice cause of his fumbles and benched jay schraoder just before the playoffs and he wont sit this guy. i dont get it. ramsey would definately give us a spark and actually did really well down the stretch last year. and in my opinion the reason ramsey wasnt that great this year in preseason was cause he knew gibbs altimately was looking for a reason to put boonell back in the game. and ramsey is the kind of guy that wants to be wanted and plays better when the people aroungd him believe in him. its was like a girlfriend that you were looking for her to slip up just one time so you could dump her.

Archived