Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

9-7 and still make playoffs???

willmb5

the vikings, falcons, and cowboys all have tough schedules. if we beat the cowboys but manage to lose 1 of the final 2 games, we could still be alive, but we MUST beat the cowboys. say we beat the cowboys but lose to either giants or eagles, we finish at 9-7

vikings (8-5)- pittsburgh at home, @ baltimore, chicago at home.

I can easily see the vikings losing all 3 of these games (baltimore almost beat denver @ denver despite another pitiful kyle boller performance). lets just give them a benefit of the doubt and say they finish 9-7

falcons (8-5 (assuming they hang on against the saints))- @ chicago, @ tampa bay, carolina at home.

suck in cold weather, so Ill assume they lose at chicago. tampa will be tough, and carolina just killed them. i can see them losing out as well, but again Ill give them the benefit of the doubt and say they win one. that's 9-7.

cowboys (8-5) - @ washington, @carolina, st louis at home.

heres the kicker. lets say they lose to us. this would CRUSH that team in a profound way. then i think theyd lose to carolina and beat st louis, putting them also at 9-7.

SO. basically, the skins HAVE to win this week at dallas. its a must. this scenario assumes that either the bucs or the panthers, whoever doesnt win the nfc south, will get the 1st wildcart slot. this is a VERY plausible situation. the reason the skins would get in at 9-7 is that we have a great conference record (7-2 right now and would be 9-3 if we finish 9-7) so we would win the tiebreaker over the other teams. for me, and this would prolly make me madder than ive ever gotten, is if we beat the cowboys, lose one of the final 2, go 9-7 and the cowboys win the last two, go 10-6 and make it in. i would probably commit suicide. so theres the complex situation where the skins get in at 9-7.

obviously we cant count on this. i say we go the easy route and win out, 10-6, almost ensuring fully a spot in the playoffs

I agree with this. I didn't intend to bring it up untill after next weeks game. Basically, after this week we'll see how much of a longshot this is. So, I though I'd wait for it.

Here's what I'm hoping for the next two weeks, and I don't think it's that terribly delusional

Week 15

Redskins beat Cowboys

Bears beat Falcons

Steelers beat Vikings

Cheifs Beat Giants

Week 16

Redskins beat Giants

Tampa beats Atlanta

Carolina Beats Dallas

Then in week 17 we'll be playing for the division, but if we lose we can still get a playoff spot provided the bears also beat Minnesota.

Plus, if you're watching the game(I am) you know that New Orleans is by no means out of this game.

alright but say we lose to the cowboys, what has to happen for us still to get in?
I don't even want to think about it. Let's just say things would get rough. I'll put up a scenerio only if it happens, but you're not gonna like it.. I haven't even worked out that possibility, just because it's too unpleasant.

Let's just say, this game can be considered "must win." There were discussions earlier in the year about which games were must win, but I think that this game fits that description more than any game we've played in the past 5 years. I don't think you'll find a single knowledge person who doesn't call this "must win"

The Falcons will make the playoffs. Mainly because they have a QB. Dallas will make the playoffs, mainly because they have pass rushers. New York will make the playoffs mainly because they have pass rushers(as in 2 double digits ends). And Tampa will make the playoffs because they also have a pass rush.

The Redskins and the Vikings are going to miss out. Mainly because neither of these teams have pass rushers or great QB's. This thread is a clue to what the skins are going to need in order to get to the playoffs next season.

alright but say we lose to the cowboys, what has to happen for us still to get in?

we cant lose to the cowboys. if we do we'll 99% sure be out unless we win the last 2 and dallas loses their last 2 and the other scenarios play out. way too much would have to happen

9-7 can get us into post season contention. But I'd rather for them to be 10-6. As Coach Gibbs stated, we can't worry about what the Falcons, Vikes, and everyone else is doing. It's logic that the team focuses on what they must do, and let the rest take care of itself. God willing, if it's meant to be, we'll make the post season.

As Coach Gibbs stated, we can't worry about what the Falcons, Vikes, and everyone else is doing. It's logic that the team focuses on what they must do

Unless if you're a player, the Gibbs comments you're refering to weren't meant for you. If I saw Mark Brunell on the streets and he was thinking as much about Giants - Cheifs game as much as I was, I'd be worried. I highly doubt he cares if the fans come up with every playoff scenario imaginable.

Well, that's the fun part of being a fan. You can dream, you can play with the Redskins in Franchise mode on Madden, and you can cheer on your team in real life. But realistically, a true fan looks at things from the perspective of how his/her team is looking at things. As a fan I don't want to be dissappointed, so I look at it how Gibbs looks at it. A true fan keeps the same mental attitude that his team has.

exactly. believe me, i think we almost have to go 10-6, and thats what i want as bad as anywone else. this is just a completely hypothetical situation that i bounced around because im home for christmas break before every1 else and im very, very bored.

actually k dawg, if u read the scenario, its not over if we go 9-7. i do agree that we need to go 10-6, but we still COULD potentially make the playoffs, but it would require help, which is why this is what we call a "hypothetical" situation. but yeah 10-6 would be great

I don't even want to think about it. Let's just say things would get rough. I'll put up a scenerio only if it happens, but you're not gonna like it.. I haven't even worked out that possibility, just because it's too unpleasant.

Let's just say, this game can be considered "must win." There were discussions earlier in the year about which games were must win, but I think that this game fits that description more than any game we've played in the past 5 years. I don't think you'll find a single knowledge person who doesn't call this "must win"

Every Dallas game is a "must-win", whether we're 0-15 or 15-0!! :D

If we don't go 10-6 it's over. If we get to 10-6, we're in UNLESS Tampa doesn't win their division and finished 10-6, they hold the head to head tiebreaker with us.

Actually, if we go 10-6, and Tampa goes 10-6 but doesn not win their division, we'll still hold the tie-breaker over Atlanta, Minny and Dallas, assuming they all finish 10-6 as well. I don't think its unreasonable to say that they will all lose at least one game, considering their schedules. I don't think any of them can do it. Also if the Giants lose to us, and lose to KC or Oakland, and we win out, BOOM the division is ours. Booyaka booyaka!

My worst-nightmare scenario is that we take care of Dallas and New York at home, New York loses to KC or Oakland, and then we go into Philly and....LOSE. You never know what's going to happen in Philly...even with their squad depleted as it is. Of course the Dallas and NY games come first, so I'm not even thinking about the Philly game quite yet. :)

IF we BEAT Dallas:

My season is complete right there... (The be all and end all of the season)

We are getting our injuries at the wrong time and the ups and downs would make it very hard to compete in the playoffs so a 1st round/2nd round kickout would be Great!

but to get TWO lunches out of the guy I've had to buy lunches for 5 years......

I can't wait.... I'm starving for a win.

Don't think 9-7 is good enough 10-6 might be streching it

We definitely need help either way, but we need a whole lot less help if we go 10-6 than if we go 9-7...

It really all depends on what happens this weekend. I believe the Chiefs can beat the Giants, and if they do and we beat the Turds....we're in the driver's seat from there. Thankfully the remaining three games are division, so if we win out, our division record will be 5-1, beating New Yorks' 4-2 record.

IF we BEAT Dallas:

My season is complete right there... (The be all and end all of the season)

True -- we'd guarantee a non-losing season AND we'd have swept Dallas. Whatever happens from there is gravy!

We are getting our injuries at the wrong time and the ups and downs would make it very hard to compete in the playoffs so a 1st round/2nd round kickout would be Great!

but to get TWO lunches out of the guy I've had to buy lunches for 5 years......

I can't wait.... I'm starving for a win.

If we can pull together and sweep Dallas, and then split the last two games and go 9-7 and not go to the playoffs, you still have to call the season a success. We'd have finished with a 4-2 division record, a winning overall record for the first time in 6 years, and we'd have swept Dallas. And we'd be content with the knowledge that the team was one or two pieces away from dominating the entire NFL.

BRING ON DALLAS!!!

Archived