Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting inside Early;The "X" vs RFK

Sloberknocker

One thing I think we have to start doing as fans is showing up in force during the warm-ups. It seems to me, as we are missing an oppurtunity to help the team get ready to play. I have noticed, especialy for the NFC East games, a lot of the opponents fans getting there early and cheering during warmups. I know it doesn't seem like much but thinking back to RFK during the "glory years" there were many more people who got there early to watch warmups. I remember an atmosphere the stadium had and hour or two before the game, there was a "buzz" that you could feel (not just from the beer) I think the players pick up on that. I remember one time at RFK, I was standing at the fence at the far end-zone, screaming at Wilber Marshall to get "jacked up". He was pacing back and forth in his own world. I didn't think he was paying ant attention, but before he went back to the locker room he turned to me and my brother and growled like and animal!! I just just about pissed myself! The look on his face was priceless. They do feed off of our emotion.

Maybe the players are different now but I took notice of the comments made after the game that mentioned the fans who made the trip to Arizona and how it inspired them. It seems that while we are all outside eating and drinking or sitting in traffic, our opponents are getting psyched up either by their own fans or from a lack of ours. The Skins always seem to start slow and I know Parcells would like to capitalize on that. Maybe if we can get a couple thousand more people in there early we can get these guys jacked up early. The last few years have made me sick to see how the "boys" acted when the come here. The taunt the crowd, the think they own us. We should at least have almost every seat filled for kick-off.

This is the playoffs. This is not the Rams or Card in September. NFC East with meaning in Dec. This is a chance to knock Dallas out of the playoffs. My feeling is, if you want to eat and drink, do it early of stay home. This is what the "Squire" envisioned when he built it. Its game time....

I agree that fans should arrive early. It means a lot to have the stadium full at kickoff. I also think fans need to be back in their seats after half-time. Although, I don't know how this would work (Maybe taking potty breaks during TV timeouts instead of everybody-go-at-once at halftime might help).

I think another factor is Metro access. I know RFK had a lot less seats than FedEx and am not sure how many parking spaces were available near the stadium. It seemed to me that a lot of people took Metro to the games at RFK, and those people really had nowhere else to go other than inside the stadium. But it was more than that. Riding all the way from your stop in VA or MD with a train packed full of Skins fans, then crowding onto the escalator and onto the sidewalks for that walk to RFK......there was just that buzz of excitement that helped you get jacked up. I don't think you can get that same feeling on a shuttle bus from the Addison Road site. There are a few Metro stops (Morgan Blvd and Largo) that have been open for a year and are within walking distance of FedEx, but are a lot further than the Stadium/Armory one was and thus don't know how much it gets used.

I agree that people need to start getting inside the stadium earlier. Pack the tailgate up early and allow for time to get through security. I think the fact that the Dallas game was moved to 4:15 should help matters this week.

Archived