Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did we throw it deep at all???

wshngtn1

I don't recall a single downfield shot or even any relatively long balls. I know we were going to try it once when Farris was wide open down the field, but Brunnell didn't throw it up. I'm not sure I understand why we don't try it a couple of times a game. I know Moss is probably always doubled and Jacobs couldn't seperate from the dbs when we threw it deep to him 3 times in that one game, but we have to take some shots....What gives?? I think Brunell is scared to throw the ball to anyone until after they are wide open for a second or two. We will need to take some chances in the Dallas game, because they will bring the dang flea flicker no doubt.

We threw it once on a busted play where Brunell rolled to his right and flung it up there and Moss caught it out of the endzone.

Oh yeah, that's right. It looked as if he was throwing it away..again...but it was closer than expected. I guess one is better than none.

I'm still perplexed how Gibbs has 3 WR's with 1000 yds seasons. The play calling looks nothing like Gibbs's style of play calling. Even if the weapons aren't like you had previously you still have to try to keep teams honest. Correct me if I'm wrong here..but I don't remember so many short pass plays called all the time like we are doing now.

Why is he so damn scared to open that playbook up? The pass protection is pretty good to allow longer routes to develop. I'm confused.

I'm still perplexed how Gibbs has 3 WR's with 1000 yds seasons. The play calling looks nothing like Gibbs's style of play calling. Even if the weapons aren't like you had previously you still have to try to keep teams honest. Correct me if I'm wrong here..but I don't remember so many short pass plays called all the time like we are doing now.

Why is he so damn scared to open that playbook up? The pass protection is pretty good to allow longer routes to develop. I'm confused.

I think the difference is personel. It's easy to open up the playbook when you have multiple wr with the abilities of Clark, Monk and Sanders. Other than Moss, we are limited.

The bottomline is that the ball control/smashmouth approach gives us the best opportunity to win football games. If we decide to drop Brunell back and throw the football 40 times or so with this WR core, we are going to get killed.

I think we have a few plays in there, I think the problem is Brunnell. He never drops back, finds a guy and fires. Instead, he drops back, looks..looks..looks..then scrambles or tosses a ball to the fans. He always seems to hold the ball too long - even on boots sometimes he comes awfully close to the sideline. We need more routes like that fade he threw to Moss on the right sideline a few weeks back (very similar to the first R. Sanders TD in SBXXII). Get the snap, drop back, throw.

Archived