Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

quick breakdown of the Skins Boys game

GiantsFanMan

Well this game should be intresting to say the least. Both teams are coming off much needed come from behind victorys. Both teams will also be fighting for there playoff lives. With the loser season most likely being done. The pressure is clearly on the Cowboys with the Redskins being at home, and the skins having won the first match. So in my best SportsCenter voice lets break it down!!

Redskins O vs Cowboys D

Both teams like to run the ball, but I can not see Portis having much success. The Cowboys sport the 10th best rushing defense in the NFL, and are only getting better as this young defense plays with each other more.. However injurys at CB may prevent them from leting SS Roy Willaims play near the line of scrimmage. In the passing game Santana Moss must have a huge game in order for the skins to win. That should not be a problem see how poorly the Cowboys secondary bin of late. Mark Brunell also has to do a better job of protecting the football.

Cowboy O vs Redskins D

The Cowboys will continue to run the football, and they will continue to fail to do a good job at it. The Cowboys O-line is decimated by injury and just can't get a push. The Redskins linebackers should shut the run down easy. As a team Dallas averages a pathetic 3.3 yards a carry. Thats good for 5th worst in the NFL. Fortunely for the Cowboys the Redskins will not be able to take advantage of the weak Dallas o-line in the passing game. The Redskins have there own problems on the D-line and need there linebacks to get a pass rush. Bledsow is a veteran QB who must take advantage of the Blitz when the opportunity presents itself. The Skins young CB Rogers is coming on strong and could be a difference maker.

Special teams and Intangibles

The Cowboys have major question marks in there kicking game, but John Halls not much of a improvment for the Redskins.The punters for these two teams are equally bad. Both teams cover fairly well, but the skins have the advantage in the return game. Two of the top ten head coaches of all time square off. So no ones likely to out coach anyone and both squads should be more then ready.

Prediction

Home field rules in these type of games. Redskins in a tight one 17-14.

If past history is any indication, Mark Brunell will get intercepted or he will be hit and fumble. The Cowboys rush Roy Williams and nobody on the Skins seem to be able to block him. There will be losts of blitzing because the Skins have great difficulty handling Cowboys blitzes.

If the Redskins cannot get to Drew Bledsoe then a repeat of that first game will be likely but WITHOUT the 2 long lucky passes to save the day. Remember, without 1 Portis run and 1 TD return by Brown, Brunell got the Redskins a fat zero in the TD catagory this week.

I am going to be surprised if the Redkins can beat the Cowboys on Sunday but I will be shocked if Brunell has a good day. Has nothing to do with being a good fan or bad fan...it has EVERYTHING to do with past history. Brunell has not been good this year and the Cowgirls have a history of whippin' the Skins.

I am going to be surprised if the Redkins can beat the Cowboys on Sunday but I will be shocked if Brunell has a good day. Has nothing to do with being a good fan or bad fan...it has EVERYTHING to do with past history. Brunell has not been good this year and the Cowgirls have a history of whippin' the Skins.

Have you watched much this season? "Brunell has not been good this year?" Brunell basically stunk today (I appreciate him overall, and am certainly no hater) and he has been in an increasing slump since Tampa Bay. Prior to that by evidence of any impartial eyes, almost all stats, and 90% of analysts opinions, he was playing very well this year.

But you're right, the discrepancy between your remark and reality is not about being a good fan or a bad fan. That said, lady :) , no one can question the reasonableness of your skepticism about the Dallas game. We will just have to hope that we can rise to the challenge. :dallasuck

Big BIG differencemaker for our D: Carlos Rogers. Since our blitzing success is predicated on good corner play, and we happen to have two good corners playing, all our wild fantasies about Bledsoe domination will come true THIS Sunday. I just hope Mark does not lose the game for us. Outside of that, I think we can win this one by 10.

Well this game should be intresting to say the least. Both teams are coming off much needed come from behind victorys. Both teams will also be fighting for there playoff lives. With the loser season most likely being done. The pressure is clearly on the Cowboys with the Redskins being at home, and the skins having won the first match. So in my best SportsCenter voice lets break it down!!

Redskins O vs Cowboys D

Both teams like to run the ball, but I can not see Portis having much success. The Cowboys sport the 10th best rushing defense in the NFL, and are only getting better as this young defense plays with each other more.. However injurys at CB may prevent them from leting SS Roy Willaims play near the line of scrimmage. In the passing game Santana Moss must have a huge game in order for the skins to win. That should not be a problem see how poorly the Cowboys secondary bin of late. Mark Brunell also has to do a better job of protecting the football.

Cowboy O vs Redskins D

The Cowboys will continue to run the football, and they will continue to fail to do a good job at it. The Cowboys O-line is decimated by injury and just can't get a push. The Redskins linebackers should shut the run down easy. As a team Dallas averages a pathetic 3.3 yards a carry. Thats good for 5th worst in the NFL. Fortunely for the Cowboys the Redskins will not be able to take advantage of the weak Dallas o-line in the passing game. The Redskins have there own problems on the D-line and need there linebacks to get a pass rush. Bledsow is a veteran QB who must take advantage of the Blitz when the opportunity presents itself. The Skins young CB Rogers is coming on strong and could be a difference maker.

The Cowboys have major question marks in there kicking game, but John Halls not much of a improvment for the Redskins.The punters for these two teams are equally bad. Both teams cover fairly well, but the skins have the advantage in the return game. Two of the top ten head coaches of all time square off. So no ones likely to out coach anyone and both squads should be more then ready.

Prediction

Have to say this looks like a fairly knowledgeable assessment of the upcoming game. I have to admit i differ on one point though - and that is the strength of the cowboys run defense. I go back to the Philly game -- against a team that was HORRIBLE at running the football Dallas gave up some pretty good chunks to Westbrook. Last week they give up 115 to Tiki. Now this week? All they do is surrender 143 yds and 3 TDs to Larry Johnson? Excuse me if I am not overly concerned with the defense that Parcells admitted got "Manhandled" by the Giants O-line. I think we can run - and run successfully against this team. Other than that, I agree with your post and think it will be a close, very intense game. The biggest key I can come up with is our ability to pressure Bledsoe without blitzing. If we can do this at all, we will have at least two picks in the game and should win by 10.

Redskins 20 Cowboys 10

Have to say this looks like a fairly knowledgeable assessment of the upcoming game. I have to admit i differ on one point though - and that is the strength of the cowboys run defense. I go back to the Philly game -- against a team that was HORRIBLE at running the football Dallas gave up some pretty good chunks to Westbrook. Last week they give up 115 to Tiki. Now this week? All they do is surrender 143 yds and 3 TDs to Larry Johnson? Excuse me if I am not overly concerned with the defense that Parcells admitted got "Manhandled" by the Giants O-line. I think we can run - and run successfully against this team. Other than that, I agree with your post and think it will be a close, very intense game. The biggest key I can come up with is our ability to pressure Bledsoe without blitzing. If we can do this at all, we will have at least two picks in the game and should win by 10.

Redskins 20 Cowboys 10

Did not even think about that... the run defense may be more hype than reality as of now. Good stuff.

I think The Redskins have an excellent chance at home. They are excellent at home, in the conference, and in the division. I am optimistic.

It bears mentioniing, however, that The Redskins have not swept The Cowboys since 1995. . . If they do, it will be the first time in 10 years. This team would do much to endear themselves in the eyes of 'skins fans if they could pull it off.

Redskins 20 Cowboys 10

I agree, I think Portis will have a big game on Sunday because the boys will be so worried about Moss torching them again and open up running lanes. I think Thrash will also be back which will also help out the running game by keeping the Dallas D more honest.:2cents: Go 'Skins, sweep the 'Boys!! HTTR

:dallasuck

Well, one of these teams has lost 5 games and the other has lost 6. You don't have to look to far to flaws on both of these teams.

If Bledsoe plays the way he did this week and Brunell plays the way he did this week, the Cowboys win this one in a walk. But Bledsoe has had problems on the road, and you never know which Brunell will show up.

The problem the Cowboys have on defense is how do they stack the box to contain the Redskins' running game, and still provide deep help on Moss? They probably can't, but maybe they can pressure Brunell enough to make it very difficult for him to hit Moss deep. I keep waiting for the Cowboys D to put it all together and pitch a shut-out, but they're actually giving up more points and yards in the last 3 weeks than they were in October and the first couple of games in November.

When the Cowboys have the ball, they will have to stick with the running game, and take some chances down the field. But the Redskins D is so unpredictable, you never know if they're blitzing 8 or dropping 8 into coverage. If the Cowboys guess right, its a big play. If they guess wrong, well, they better have their punt coverage in order.

These teams are closely matched enough that special teams and turnovers should loom large in this one. I have no idea what the score or the outcome will be, but I'll guess 24-13 Cowboys.

The Cowboys have major question marks in there kicking game, but John Halls not much of a improvment for the Redskins.

Everything besides this made sense. Hall is a reliable kicker. He's 11 for 13 this year with his only two misses being one on the 40+ yard range and one in the 50+ yard range. Plus dude is 6'3 240, so he can make a game saving tackle if need be.

Everything besides this made sense. Hall is a reliable kicker. He's 11 for 13 this year with his only two misses being one on the 40+ yard range and one in the 50+ yard range. Plus dude is 6'3 240, so he can make a game saving tackle if need be.
Yeah Halls ok but I dont know. After seeing him with the jets and you guys, I just dont trust hall in a big spot.

Dallas will attempt to run the ball and get nothing, thus placing the game in the hands of Bledsoe. They will try to get the ball out of Bledsoe's hands early with 3 step drops which equals INT's since our secondary is stepping up.

If our receivers step it up and the running game continues to churn we will win the game, and it doesnt have to be close.

Redskins O vs Cowboys D

Cowboy O vs Redskins D

Prediction

Well you first point is kinda off The Skins secondary is hurt up, while the Cowboys secondary is back on the field. Moss has disappeared the last couple of games due to the hurt WR corp. Oh and Mark Brunell protecting the football better. I DONT KNOW ABOUT THAT

I think the Cowboys O will do ok against the Redskins D, espically with so many injuries in the Redskins D. Also the Skins D has been exposed in the running game as of late. Look for the Cowboys to take advantage of that with the emergance of Marion Barber and Jones backing him up.

To all the cowgirl optomists..

The cowboys havent shown up on the road all year.

Most recently lost to the Giants, and should have lost to the Eagles....

What makes you think they will all of a sudden perfrom flawlessly against the Skins in front of 90,000 people!!

Redskins are Ready!

Stats, Injuries, and rankings aside...i believe the cowboys and skins are two evenly matched teams with each having it's own issues........I like the play of our D last few games.....game is coming down to coaching and Home field advantage.. Tuna is getting soft and considering retirement , 90,000 fans @ Fed Ex field.....Skins by 3

Archived