Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's now official. Gibbs is turning us around.

Ignatius J.

I'm not packing my bags for the playoffs yet, I still think it's unlikely, but boy is it possible.

More importantly though are the numbers 5, 6, and 7.

As in 5 wins the year before gibbs.

As in 6 wins in gibbs first year.

As in at least 7 wins in his second.

For a team that has been in the business of getting worse each and every year, we are getting better. objectively.

One can't say Gibbs' playcalling is all that inspired of late, but, there's no doubt he's turning this team around. He's got them playing tough, physical football. You will eventually start winning with play like this. Maybe even now :).

Thanks for the positive perspective. I still think we lack a couple of pieces, which should be taken care of in the offseason. This season has been frustrating because the team is closer to competetive then I expected. But, all in all, it looks as though they'll finish at 8-8 or better, which is what I felt they needed to do to have a successfull season.

One can't say Gibbs' playcalling is all that inspired of late, but, there's no doubt he's turning this team around. He's got them playing tough, physical football. You will eventually start winning with play like this. Maybe even now :).

Is it because he's lost it, or because the team just isn't there yet. I vote for the latter.

Is it because he's lost it, or because the team just isn't there yet. I vote for the latter.

I think it's because he doesn't quite have the weapons he needs to be consistently more creative. You have to remember we do run a system that will evolve the longer we stay in it. Gibbs will have to open it up a little more as he started this year doing if we're to expect to do much down the road. But, we're lined up for an important game for second in the division. That's ok.

actually, I think it has been more Clinton Portis lobbying effectively to Gibbs to return to the style of play that won for this team 20 years ago that has had an effect.

for some strange reason this coaching staff has been reluctant to allow the identity of this offense be what it is athletically meant to be, a rushing offense that complements the backs with the occasional big play in the passing game.

we got in trouble early in this game because we didn't run the ball on 3rd and 2 but tried to get cute and run the same flat play to Cooley that everyone has seen on film the past 3-4 weeks.

I never said it wasn't possible, in fact I said in my post that it is definately possible. We just need to keep some perspective. If we win one more game this has been a pretty good season. These guys are playing tough and are getting better.

If these next two games were on the road I'd be a lot less hopeful. I wouldn't say I'm confident, just optimistic.

If Gibbs=offense GW=defense

A Question

Does GW deserve the credit??

GW clearly has a better system( in terms of execution) and because of him we are where we are IMO GW deserves 60% of the credit... 40% to gibbs because of the talent he brought in.. Griffin, Washington, cooley, moss, and of course TAYLOR and ROGERS

discuss

"actually, I think it has been more Clinton Portis lobbying effectively to Gibbs to return to the style of play that won for this team 20 years ago that has had an effect.

for some strange reason this coaching staff has been reluctant to allow the identity of this offense be what it is athletically meant to be, a rushing offense that complements the backs with the occasional big play in the passing game.

we got in trouble early in this game because we didn't run the ball on 3rd and 2 but tried to get cute and run the same flat play to Cooley that everyone has seen on film the past 3-4 weeks."

what is cause and what is effect? the Skins have consistently not produced in the running game on short yardage plays this season: particlularly at the goal line...that may be why we are seeing pass plays in short yardage situations. is this a trust issue between players and coaches? kinda like no deep passes?

A Question

GW clearly has a better system( in terms of execution) and because of him we are where we are IMO GW deserves 60% of the credit... 40% to gibbs because of the talent he brought in.. Griffin, Washington, cooley, moss, and of course TAYLOR and ROGERS

discuss

Gibbs hired Williams. That's just another example of the talent Gibbs has brought in.

Great post Ignatius. It's not even about playoff hopes or offensive schemes. This is about winning - a winning attitude, a winning system, and a winning culture. If we're looking at this in terms of winning, 7 is more than 6, which is more than 5. Gibbs certainly has us going in the right direction.

A Question

discuss

Why do people say "discuss"?

That's what the forum is for...

GW's defense has been, well, not very good this season. They have moments of brilliance and alot of moments of mediocrity. I'd say it's a 50/50 thing, seeing how when the offense plays the D doesn't and vice versa.

The head coach is the one pulling this team together. Are you really going to say that this isn't gibbs' team?

No way truley a gibbs team esp. with the team chem, Character and all that stuff BUT...

I was just thinking of how the games have been ending in the past couple of weeks today was the only one i can remember where we actually ran out the clock... we had leads in the 4th quarter and the defense has put us in situations to run out the clock and they dont, opponent scores and it looks as if the D lost the game.

IMO the D is the resaon y we have 7 wins, i just believe that some or most of the credit belongs to GW. 10 points against the cards??

Dont get me wrong i love Gibbs nothing will convince me to stop no matter what! his legacy is to great

Its true he has turned the team around compared to the way it was. However, unless more blatent changes are made I dont see him leading us to a superbowl. FOr example this year we improved our offence but Defense was worse compared to last season. Also our offence has gotten worse over the period of this season. Im hoping gibbs is still changing with the times, and will continue to improve with play calling and clock management. I.E. not using rock today.

we need a QB who...1) Doesn't make bonehead mistakes and is mobile (PR is out); 2) can throw the ball downfield (Brunell is out). until that ingredient is added...we will always, always be at a disadvantage in tight games or against top tier teams. this team has many problems to fix, fewer than previously, but QB has been the one consistent achilles heel for the past 12-13 years.

Archived