Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Gregg Williams a Norv Turner?

Teller

In an off-season that's sure to be full of head coaching changes in the NFL, Gregg Williams' name will be tossed about more than a hacky-sack on steroids. Heck, he's already among the top two or three candidates being mentioned for head coaching jobs in 2006.

Williams, as most of you know, had a pretty unsuccessful three-year stint as head coach of the Buffalo Bills; winning a total of 17 games over that span, and reaching .500 only once. His career winning percentage as a head coach is .354.

Norv Turner meanwhile, has had nine seasons with two different clubs to prove that he's not head coach material -- quite successfully, I might add. He does have one playoff appearance to his credit, but only a career .426 winning percentage as head coach.

I don't think there's any question, even in the minds of the biggest Redskin homers that Norv Turner is an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator. Sure, he had plenty of weapons to work with in Dallas. But he seemed to know exactly how to use them. To this day, Troy Aikman credits Turner for much of his success. But clearly, success as a coordinator hasn't translated into success as a head coach for ol' Norville.

I think the reason Turner hasn't succeed as a head coach, is that he is simply not a motivator. He lacks the fire, intensity and emotion so many of the great head coaches possess.

When I look at Gregg Williams, I think there are some similarities. GW's Buffalo teams simply were not good. However, he came to Washington and transformed our defense into one of the league's best overnight. Whatsmore, he did so with a number of largely unknown players. (See: Antonio Pierce.)

My question to you is this: Are Gregg Williams and Norv Turner similar in that both are great coordinators, but poor head coaches? Or will Williams be successful as a head coach in the right situation?

Williams admitted that his downfall in Buffalo was that he was too hands on the offense and should have put more of his attention the defense. He said next time he is a head coach he would hire someone to run the offense.

Alot of coaches do that now.

Hmm...I wasn't aware he had said that. Thanks.

With that being said, do you think he'll be significantly more successful this time?

I think that is the reason he wants to stay here longer. He is learning how to lead sufficiently from Gibbs. He is a great coordinator, a good coach and teacher, but he is learning how to be a leader of men right now. He is also learning how to run an organization, deal with hands on owners (actually, Dan has been great so far), and all the other intangables that go along with being a great head coach, like Gibbs!

He knows how lucky he is to work with a Hall of Famer!

He will be a good, maybe great coach whereever he goes next. Hopefully he will stay here to succeed King Gibbs.

Hmm...I wasn't aware he had said that. Thanks.

With that being said, do you think he'll be significantly more successful this time?

If he finds an offensive coordinator that he can put his trust in like Gibbs has done for him then possibly.

I rarely watched Buffalo games so I don't know his tendencies as a head coach so hopefully someone else can roll these up and light up a fat prediction.

As far as the fire and passion to lead teams I believe Williams has it. He isn't indecisive like Norv was and I believe he can handle the important but less discussed aspects of being a head coach like time management.

So much of being a great head coach is being in the right place and surrounding you with the right people. If Belicheck was the head coach of the Jets right now I don't think they would have won three of four super bowls.

I hope Williams stays to be our head coach three years from now but I doubt it. I know he is paid handsomely here but I just think another opportunity may lure him away before Gibbs has had his fill.

Hopefully not!

I honestly believe GW will be our next HC. When that happens look for Bill Musgrave to become the full time OC and be in charge of the game day play calling, that will lead to very little, if any, change in the offense philosophy. This way GW will still be gameplanning more for the opposing teams offense and leave the opposing teams D to Musgrave and his offensive staff.

This will be very similar to the setup now where Gibbs doesn't worry about the other teams offense, that is left for GW and the D staff, all Gibbs does is try to dissect the opposing teams defense. Not to say that Gibbs or a GW head coach would have no say in the offensive teams preparations , just that he won't have to worry as much about the other half of the football team.

Norv's biggest issue is that he played favorites with star players. Westbrook was never disciplined and the other WR's could do no right. Norv was also lacking as a motivator and seemed to never get the most out of his players. Remember it took OT against a bad Niners team, in the last week of the year, to win the East in 99, that game shouldve been a blow out.

While it is possible for GW to face the same fate as Norv, I think GW is better equipped mentally to handle the rigors of being a NFL head coach then Norv, also I believe GW wanted to come to Washington to learn from Gibbs, lets face it that is a once in a life time opportunity.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

In an off-season that's sure to be full of head coaching changes in the NFL, Gregg Williams' name will be tossed about more than a hacky-sack on steroids. Heck, he's already among the top two or three candidates being mentioned for head coaching jobs in 2006.

Williams, as most of you know, had a pretty unsuccessful three-year stint as head coach of the Buffalo Bills; winning a total of 17 games over that span, and reaching .500 only once. His career winning percentage as a head coach is .354.

Norv Turner meanwhile, has had nine seasons with two different clubs to prove that he's not head coach material -- quite successfully, I might add. He does have one playoff appearance to his credit, but only a career .426 winning percentage as head coach.

I don't think there's any question, even in the minds of the biggest Redskin homers that Norv Turner is an EXCELLENT offensive coordinator. Sure, he had plenty of weapons to work with in Dallas. But he seemed to know exactly how to use them. To this day, Troy Aikman credits Turner for much of his success. But clearly, success as a coordinator hasn't translated into success as a head coach for ol' Norville.

I think the reason Turner hasn't succeed as a head coach, is that he is simply not a motivator. He lacks the fire, intensity and emotion so many of the great head coaches possess.

When I look at Gregg Williams, I think there are some similarities. GW's Buffalo teams simply were not good. However, he came to Washington and transformed our defense into one of the league's best overnight. Whatsmore, he did so with a number of largely unknown players. (See: Antonio Pierce.)

My question to you is this: Are Gregg Williams and Norv Turner similar in that both are great coordinators, but poor head coaches? Or will Williams be successful as a head coach in the right situation?

I think He is kind of like Bill Belicheck(SP) Just needs to go to a succesfull organization. with a good front office. If gibbs stays on as team president it wil make this a good front office with gibbs having input on who to pickup and draft

Norv Turner just is not a good head coach. The Raiders have a horrible record, they are probably going to fire him at the end of the season. Williams, I feel will be the head coach of the Redskins when Gibbs retires. He will use his offensive system along with his own defensive abilities and be a sucessful head coach for the Redskins.

Norv Turner just is not a good head coach. The Raiders have a horrible record, they are probably going to fire him at the end of the season. Williams, I feel will be the head coach of the Redskins when Gibbs retires. He will use his offensive system along with his own defensive abilities and be a sucessful head coach for the Redskins.

I'm just curious as to why most people seem to think GW will be successful as a head coach this time around, when he just couldn't get it done with the Bills. If he said that he was too "hands on" with the offense, I respect that. Most head coaches only work with one team (O or D) in a coordinator type role. It probably would help him to leave the offense to a strong O coordinator.

And I do think GW seems a lot more firey on the sidelines than Norv. (Like that's hard.) He seems like a better motivator and leader of men. I hope that if he is successful in his second tour as head coach, that it's right here.

A friend of mine is a huge Bills fan

There were a few things he hated from GW in Buffalo

The "face" When the Bills were losing GW had this blank look on his face, like "well the script didn't work, now what"

He was also incredibly arrogant in the media and turned off a lot of people up there

His hiring of Kevin Gilbride as O-coordinator was another mistake

I think if Williams has been paying attention to Joe Gibbs he won't make mistakes one or two again. Even in the midsts of losing streaks Gibbs doesn't display an arrogance or a "I am better then you, stop questioning me" attitude to the media

Gibbs also never gets the "who farted" look on his face when things are going bad. He always has those steely eyes which say "we are going to do this"

As far as o-coordinator, I figure if he stays for another 3 years and Musgrave does also, we could keep this staff intact for a possible Williams era as head coach

But Williams' faults in Buffalo seem to be easily correctable. Don't be arrogant, maintain some fire even when you are down, and make sure to hire a better o-coordinator

If you look at his D's, they did just fine up there

Archived