Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Things I Think I Know From Watching The Game

GatorEye

1) Danny should be the starter. He still shows the most complete grasp of the offense. His poor stats were due to poor starting field position, penalties on every big pass completion he had, drops, and a half-hearted but semi-earnest attempt to run the ball that failed miserably. His one 'bad' pass was when his receiver broke off the deep route and was basically just a punt (even better since we didn't have to punt out of the endzone).

2) Sage should NOT be the starter. Sage looked miserable going against the Steelers big guns in the first half. Sure he torched the JV guys, but so would Danny or Shane (Shane was on his way to doing this we SOS brough Sage in). Sage showed poor clock management at the end of the first half, still doesn't seem to audible to the correct play and doesn't look off his receiver. He locks on his guy too early. While he may or may not be a good QB down the road - for now he isn't close to Danny.

3) The O-line isn't that bad but still needs help. They did a pretty fair job pass protecting. The QB's had a few plays where they had to scramble, but I didn't see them constantly harassed. They had time to make their reads. Conversely, they can't run block worth a crap. I know we are primarily going to be a passing team, but we need to be able to run when we want to and we can't. Period.

4) Davis isn't going to be happy. I must admit as a lifelong Gator - I'm not sure what the plan is. I've never seen SOS abandon the run like this even knowing we don't run much until the second half anyway. I'm afraid when you see these close games, or come from behind games, Davis is going to be on the bench...a lot. SOS really seems to want to prove his passing game works and I see that coming at the expense of Davis's PT especially with the inability to run block.

5) We're silly deep at WR. Before the season everyone was talking about our group of also-rans. We've got plenty of guys who can play and we are going to use all of them. Doering is proving all the naysayers wrong and I love it. If you didn't get to see his leaping grab in the back of the endzone - your loss. It looked like Dwight Clark's famous 'The Catch'. That's one of the reason's you like 6'4" receivers. Personally, I thought the ball was being thrown out of the back of the end zone until Mr. Stick 'ems snatched it. Oh MY! Doering's got a touchdown!

6) I hate to bash the hometeam, but my wife and her friends could have done a better job broadcasting than Sonny, George, and Irving. They were getting the players names wrong and George seems to have no grasp of the game whatsoever including why Pittsburg would take a delay of game penalty when they were trying to back up to give their punter more room for a pooch kick. Man what an idiot. I hadn't watched the hometown announcers broadcast of a Skins game in years, but after that it almost make me wonder if it would have been better to have watched to the Steeler broadcast (especially at the end).

7) I knew this BEFORE I watched the game, but for those of you who shut the game off early --- :laugh:

NEVER doubt SOS's desire to win regardless of the circumstances. Remember we threw up ridiculous amounts of yardage and racked up 35 points WITH 6 turnovers. He still wasn't happy. In the post game interview SOS rooted Sage for not executing the 'run out the clock' play correctly. He was supposed to down it after backing up 5 yards - not run around the field. SOS is never statisfied. :D

1) Danny should be the starter. He still shows the most complete grasp of the offense. His poor stats were due to poor starting field position, penalties on every big pass completion he had, drops, and a half-hearted but semi-earnest attempt to run the ball that failed miserably. His one 'bad' pass was when his receiver broke off the deep route and was basically just a punt (even better since we didn't have to punt out of the endzone).

Even though no one agrees, I also think Danny was being rushed back there. He had less than 3 seconds to throw, but when he did throw the ball, all the throws (except the INT) was on target. He did not hurt himself in the race...

2) Sage should NOT be the starter. Sage looked miserable going against the Steelers big guns in the first half. Sure he torched the JV guys, but so would Danny or Shane (Shane was on his way to doing this we SOS brough Sage in). Sage showed poor clock management at the end of the first half, still doesn't seem to audible to the correct play and doesn't look off his receiver. He locks on his guy too early. While he may or may not be a good QB down the road - for now he isn't close to Danny.

Be careful now; your Gatorcentricity is showing.:wink: Actually, the INT, according to Sonny, may have been because Gardner misran his route. Not sure it was, but Sonny said it, and I respect him.

(3) The O-line isn't that bad but still needs help. They did a pretty fair job pass protecting. The QB's had a few plays where they had to scramble, but I didn't see them constantly harassed. They had time to make their reads. Conversely, they can't run block worth a crap. I know we are primarily going to be a passing team, but we need to be able to run when we want to and we can't. Period.

Again, with Wuerffel, I thought that he was being rushed. I'm not sure that is a lick on the OL, however. After all, we DID play the top defense in the NFL last year, and the gang is all there.

(4) Davis isn't going to be happy. I must admit as a lifelong Gator - I'm not sure what the plan is. I've never seen SOS abandon the run like this even knowing we don't run much until the second half anyway. I'm afraid when you see these close games, or come from behind games, Davis is going to be on the bench...a lot. SOS really seems to want to prove his passing game works and I see that coming at the expense of Davis's PT especially with the inability to run block.

Couldn't disagree more. SOS loves to pass and will make the passing game his priority, but Davis will get PLENTY of touches. How effective he is will depend on how effective we will be in the air and how well the OL performs.

5) We're silly deep at WR. Before the season everyone was talking about our group of also-rans. We've got plenty of guys who can play and we are going to use all of them. Doering is proving all the naysayers wrong and I love it. If you didn't get to see his leaping grab in the back of the endzone - your loss. It looked like Dwight Clark's famous 'The Catch'. That's one of the reason's you like 6'4" receivers. Personally, I thought the ball was being thrown out of the back of the end zone until Mr. Stick 'ems snatched it. Oh MY! Doering's got a touchdown!

I love Doering as much as anybody, but I still want to see him and Derrius start next week in TB. Doering and Wuerffel are completely on the same wavelength, but can he get as open as he is thus far? I am really enthusiastic about Thompson. I also want Gardner to step up, because we also have Quezzie ready to play (once he heals his ribs).

6) I hate to bash the hometeam, but my wife and her friends could have done a better job broadcasting than Sonny, George, and Irving. They were getting the players names wrong and George seems to have no grasp of the game whatsoever including why Pittsburg would take a delay of game penalty when they were trying to back up to give their punter more room for a pooch kick. Man what an idiot. I hadn't watched the hometown announcers broadcast of a Skins game in years, but after that it almost make me wonder if it would have been better to have watched to the Steeler broadcast (especially at the end).

I think Sonny is great, but Michael is a weak PBP guy and Irvin clearly does not do his homework. Last night, he did it again, saying that the Fun n' Gun does not require precise routes. He must mean to say something else, because that statement is nonsensical. The FnG is NOTHING if not dependent on precise route running. How would Doering be able to get open if NOT by running routes correctly. He won't outrun anybody. In addition, Fryar's voice tends to grate. Fryar needs to understand that being a great WR, in and of itself, is NOT a prerequisite to being a great color commentator. It helps if he understands SOS' system...

Originally posted by GatorEye

-CODE:I agree that Danny did nothing to hurt himself. He looked fine with little help.

He was a man after the game and took responsibility.

CODE: Sage is probably trade bait. Why else would he come back in the game. If SS was unsure about Shane, he would have left him in. Lockett may also be trade bait because he returned all the punts. Maybe SS is showing Sage and Lockett to the rest of the league.

3) The O-line isn't that bad but still needs help. They did a pretty fair job pass protecting. The QB's had a few plays where they had to scramble, but I didn't see them constantly harassed. They had time to make their reads. Conversely, they can't run block worth a crap. I know we are primarily going to be a passing team, but we need to be able to run when we want to and we can't. Period.

CODE: Agree.... get Gandy from the Bears for Sage and Lockett.

4) Davis isn't going to be happy. I must admit as a lifelong Gator - I'm not sure what the plan is. I've never seen SOS abandon the run like this even knowing we don't run much until the second half anyway. I'm afraid when you see these close games, or come from behind games, Davis is going to be on the bench...a lot. SOS really seems to want to prove his passing game works and I see that coming at the expense of Davis's PT especially with the inability to run block.

CODE:I'm not sure Davis will be happy, but I hope he can be. I hope he does well and re does his contract to remain with the team past this season.

CODE: Funny, they were a bunch of nobodys earlier in the year. Doering is the man. I think he should have been in there with DW early on.

CODE: Irving Fryar sucked. He said the routes did NOT requier precision at least 4 times.... where did he get that from?

7) I knew this BEFORE I watched the game, but for those of you who shut the game off early --- :laugh:

NEVER doubt SOS's desire to win regardless of the circumstances. Remember we threw up ridiculous amounts of yardage and racked up 35 points WITH 6 turnovers. He still wasn't happy. In the post game interview SOS rooted Sage for not executing the 'run out the clock' play correctly. He was supposed to down it after backing up 5 yards - not run around the field. SOS is never statisfied. :D

1) IMO, Wuerfel looked scared by the Steeler defense. I was not impressed with his decisions or his throws, regardless of who dropped what, or who had a penalty etc etc. The score is what counts in this league, and he accounted for 0 pts.

2) I like Matthews. He doesn't have the deer frozen in the headlights look that Wuerfel had against the Steeler starters.

3) Haven't seen enough running plays to determine if they can run block or not -- they need a chance to get in a groove.

4) Davis is our best offensive weapon bar none. The sooner Spurrier starts using him the better. But I understand this is the pre-season and he wants to see what his QBs and WRS can do. What Davis can do is well established.

5) The receivers are all pretty equal -- serviceable players.

6) I prefer Sonny and George to the network hacks, though I like Sonny and Sam the best. They are even less exact and more partisan.

7) I'm glad Spurrier beat their scrubs.

8) Our linebackers are some bad, bad men.

Forget what you were going to say code?

4) Davis isn't going to be happy. I must admit as a lifelong Gator - I'm not sure Wat the plan is. I've never seen SOS abandon the run like this even knowing we don't run much until the second half anyway. I'm afraid when you see these close games, or come from behind games, Davis is going to be on the bench...a lot. SOS really seems to want to prove his passing game works and I see that coming at the expense of Davis's PT especially with the inability to run block

A) This is preseason

B) We know Davis is the starter, what we don't know is who our QB is going to be. What better way to find out then to let all of them air it out.

C) "...or come from behind games, Davis is going to be on the bench...a lot"

Umm...I trying to think of any coach who runs, wasteing precious time, when in come from behind situations. You know what? I don't think any coach does. We were down 27-7! If we were down something like 27-24, then we would run, but when you're down by 20...you're not going to run alot.

As one who must listen to enemy broadcasts I must say that the Steelers broadcasters were a hoot. I was laughing throughout the game. They were very fair in their assessments of the play of both teams and seemed to understand the game and what was going on. But there was one guy...don't know who he was...who was a riot. high scruffy voice, totally into football, who would get so excited that he could barely talk at times. Very funny. He'd get his words so tangled up that it was like listening to Elmer Fudd stumble over words. Hilarious.

1) IMO, Wuerfel looked scared by the Steeler defense. I was not impressed with his decisions or his throws, regardless of who dropped what, or who had a penalty etc etc. The score is what counts in this league, and he accounted for 0 pts.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wuerffel looking scared? You're joking, right? Being rushed hard does NOT mean he was scared. Points are all that matter? Who's to say that points would not have been scored if those receivers could make the first downs by holding on to the damn ball, or that Gardner would have a 19-yard reception if our idiot lineman didn't have a first-down-killing penalty? Granted, it is all part of the game, but DW had only 3 series against the top defense in the league. How many points did the Steelers have after the 1st quarter was over? God, Kordell sure was awful! Cowher should bench him, in favor of Batch. By the end of the first quarter (when both starting teams were in), it seemed to me like a close game (0-0).

Try to give Wuerffel SOME credit (everyone else had) and try to resist the urge to presume that you know how to run an offense better than Spurrier. As long as SOS is the coach, the precious 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offense is DEAD! Davis will do well this year, but he will not be the main attack. Sorry, but Marty is in San Diego now...

HTTR!!:cheers:

Irving Fryar sure does LOVE to talk about himself. Isn't this guy an ordained minister?

Maybe it's just me, but I would have thought he would be a fairly self depriacting, modest kind of guy. Considering he never won a Super Bowl, and only went to the Pro Bowl - well i'm not sure how many times, but I don't think it was many - he sure isn't afraid to tell everyone how good he was

Originally posted by SkinsThug

I didn't think he looked scared at all. The guy knows how to make his reads. Sage was the one who looked scared in the second quarter and he really needs to work on looking off his receivers. That's going to bite him in the a$$ down the road.

As for the 'backers being bad men... I wonder what the over under is for QB's that Lavar knocks out during the season.

GE,

I'm down for over 5. We were there, we saw that bad bad LaVar put Pgh's heart up their throat.

The hi pitvched Pittsburg broadcaster was probably Miron Cope, one of those broadcasting legends. I remember him from 1982 when I live in the Burg, he was old and crotchety and high pitched then. But he knew his "Stillers" football. He was the head sportswriter/columnist for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He'd remind you of Shirley Povich with the Washington Post.

HTTR, ;)

Good post but you really lost me there on your sixth point. There isn't a duo of announcers I would take over Sonny Juergensen and George Michael to announce a Redskins game. Homerism or not those guys call an entertaining and insightful game. They call it how they see it and nothing more and nothing less.

Now Irving Fryar is a guy I could do without. For the second straight week he kept mumbling his non-sense about the Washington offense not requiring crisp route running.

Originally posted by laurent

Good post but you really lost me there on your sixth point. There isn't a duo of announcers I would take over Sonny Juergensen and George Michael to announce a Redskins game. Homerism or not those guys call an entertaining and insightful game. They call it how they see it and nothing more and nothing less.

Now Irving Fryar is a guy I could do without. For the second straight week he kept mumbling his non-sense about the Washington offense not requiring crisp route running.

I like homers as much as the next guy but I thought George knew a little more about football, but he was making mistakes all night - it was embarassing. How can anyone who watches football (and who is a sportscaster for that matter) not understand why a team takes an intentional delay of game penalty when they are on the opponents side of the field and they are about to punt? And Fryar and the non requiring crisp route running makes me wonder if he got decleated one too many times going across the middle.

Pardon my ignorance because I haven't lived in DC for a loooooooong time. Didn't Frank Herzog used to do the games or am I having a brain fart? If not, what happened to him?

Michaels proved the time old adage - "It is better to be though a fool and remain silent, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Davis will do well this year, but he will not be the main attack. Sorry, but Marty is in San Diego now...

Why is it that many think the running game is "Marty ball" considering he didn't figure out that Davis is THE MAN till well into the regular season. The Redskins have had a solid running game long before Marty. To compete in the NFC East, it's always been a must.

One dimensional teams don’t win ball games. They get shut down. Even old stone face Marty figured that out. If the putz figured it out faster, we may have made the playoffs.

Spurrier will have no choice but run, and more then most of the Gator fans think. Davis may not get 1400 yards in this season, but he should still do at the least 1000.

I also had to suffer through the Pittsburgh broadcasters, and Myron Cope was almost more than I could bear. It was pretty funny, though, in the fourth quarter when he tiredly groused, "This sure has been a long game."

The only person I can think of with a voice more irritating than Myron's is Greta van Susteren.

George is a little over the top with his pseudo-Warner Wolf enthusiasm, but he means well. He doesn't get to work on his play-by-play much, since the Redskins exhibitions are his only gig. The rest of the time he's just a sports anchor or hosting the talking heads shows "Redskins Report" and "Full Court Press". What annoys me most is his habit of using fifty words in a statement when ten will do. Sometimes though, he sounds almost as ignorant about sports as Tony Kornheiser :)

This is Irving Fryar's first year, and he hasn't impressed. Wilbon had his chair the last few seasons, but with his PTI commitment, I guess he had to give it up. Personally, I wish they'd bring back Riggo, who did the preseason back when channel 7 had the rights. He's hilarious and gives great insights into the game as well. He already works with George and Sonny on "Redskins Report", so I don't know why they don't use him for the games. He's also a lot smarter than he lets on - he was the first to recognize Marty's problems last year. I remember him saying, "the emperor has no clothes", before the season even began.

As for Frank Herzog, he does the radio PBP for WJFK with Sam and Sonny in the regular season. Mark May has taken Sonny's place in the booth while Sonny does TV for the preseason.

Spurrier will have no choice but run, and more then most of the Gator fans think. Davis may not get 1400 yards in this season, but he should still do at the least 1000.

No argument from me here. SOS, when his team is clicking, has a 50:50 run/pass ratio. What I am saying is that you are not going to see SD as the MAIN attack. He will complememnt the air game. This will be good for his career. He will have 100-150 fewer carries, but will still gain a thousand yards, and his y/c will be close to five.

(IF the passing game clicks and the run blocking improves...otherwise, SD MAY get 350 touches again, while SOS figures it out...;) )

HTTR!:cheers:

I have gone back and watched the game 4 times now. Sage and Danny were about equal vs. the first string. Both men would have moved the ball if passes weren't dropped or penalties or recievers stopping or running sloppy routes. As a matter of FACT Sage had the most productive drive until the reciever dropped that 3rd down pass. He did drive the team into enemy territory.

I think we can all agree that Shane or Danny would have done as good as Sage in the 4th vs. 2nd and 3rd stringers. I will agree that Danny has a better grasp of this "O". But that doesn't say as much as the gator fans think. If Sage can play at an equal level and he is just learning this system his upside is tremendously better then DW or SM.

DW and Sm are as good as they will get right now. One could argue that DW will play at this level for another 4-5 years until he rolls down the hill. Sm may only have a few years before he drops off. Sage on the other hand WILL get better with every snap. Think about that, open your minds and think about that statement. Sage hasn't had the benefit of being in this system for 3-4 years. He has had roughly 6 months and is about equal to the Gator boys. That speaks volumns for his ability. If Sage had the same amount of time in this system he would be far superior to the other two guys.

If I were the HC, I would let Sage start the first half knowing if he screws up I always have DW to save the day. By the end of the season Sage will know this sytem inside out and will be better then the gator boys going into the playoffs.

I still say keep all 4 on the roster. I get the feeling that Spurrier will be rotating these 3 guys during the season.

After watching the game as many times as I have. I have had a chance to really look at different aspects of the game each time. I have watched every play in slow motion at least 3 times each.

Samuels better get healthy soon. Rod Jones got beat on the speed rush a few times that directly led to Danny's miscue's and Sage's. Overall Rod did better then Vickers. Kip Vickers cannot play left guard now. His knees must really be bothering him. His lateral motion horrible. Also Bryan Johnson better learn how to block. On one play the safety came up to the line with there rolb to show blitz.Jones picked up the rolb and the safety rushed the qb and Johnson had to pull him down negating a nice pass by DW.

Then on the next play the TE went motion and reset next to Jones. The safety again came up to the line. The TE should have bumped him on his way out to the flat and he didn't even touch him. They better work on TE blocking before they go into the passing lanes and Johnson and the Rock better work on the blocking skills. The Rock also wiffed on a few blocks. DW would have looked much better had these guys blocked better for him.

Also I would like to note some really bad calls. Smoot got robbed when plexico pushed off and that set up the steeler first TD. On the steeler 2nd td the reverse play to randel el. There were 2 holds so obvious I couldn't believe there were no flags. the Left tackle tackled his man to the ground. But keep in mind, the Steelers did not score a TD vs. our complete first string. On there 5th drive our "D" line sat out. There 6th Drive they sat out too. They only came back in right before the half to stop the steelers from scoring and they did stop them. Then Sage threw that int. and the steelers got the ball back inside the 20. Our Complete First string "D" drove them back and they had to settle for a field goal. That was very positive. This was the best I have ever seen Big Daddy play. If Gardener can stay healthy and play 1/2 the snaps we will have an incredible "D" this year.

Archived