Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Shaun Alexander be a Redskin?

FunBunch7

He seems to more like a "Gibbs-style-power-running-back". He is an unrestricted free agent this year and the Seahawks CAN NOT franchise him. I know Portis has a 50 million dollar contract but would it be possible to let him go with out being devastated by the cap?

There will be some speculation about the Skins getting a top-notch free agent wide receiver in the off season. T.O., Moulds, etc. That will probably be priority #1 but it is not too often when a back like Alexander becomes available.

I love Portis, but those 3rd and 2's would likely be a different story with a back like Alexander.

He seems to more like a "Gibbs-style-power-running-back". He is an unrestricted free agent this year and the Seahawks CAN NOT franchise him. I know Portis has a 50 million dollar contract but would it be possible to let him go with out being devastated by the cap?

There will be some speculation about the Skins getting a top-notch free agent wide receiver in the off season. T.O., Moulds, etc. That will probably be priority #1 but it is not too often when a back like Alexander becomes available.

I love Portis, but those 3rd and 2's would likely be a different story with a back like Alexander.

To answer your question NO

As i understand it, there is NO CAP in 2007...something to do with the CBA. Surely we could "circumvent" the cap for one year and take the hit in 07' when it wouldn't affect us. If we could find someone to trade for Portis, his cap # wouldn't affect us.

We could trade Portis to Seattle for a 1st rounder. Alexander is going to cost them more than what's left on Portis' contract, plus Portis is younger.

Then we go get a solid #2 receiver like a Moulds or McCardell type...one that won't cost us an arm anf a leg like T.O.

If I'm missing something here please tell me. We have the most valuable franchise in North Amercian sports and an owner who is not afraid to open his wallet. I'm sure it could be done.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............................

NONONONOONONONONOONONONOONOONONONONONONONOONONONONOONONONONONOONONONONONONONOONONONO

NONONONOONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we let Clinton go it would devastate our team chemistry and salary cap thing. Hes very productive, great pass blocker, good hands, EVERYBODY LOVES HIM IN WASHINGTON INCLUDING THE FANS, MEDIA, AND COACHES!:notworthy Clinton:notworthy

Hes on pass to break Stephen Davis's all-time rushing record for the Redskins and look at his stats this year and last year. Hes improving every game and year.

And Shaun Alexander runs in a totally diffrent running style in Seattle.

Lets face it everybody

Clinton Portis= Redskin for Life!!!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Clinton Portis:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...............gosh this guy is dumb.....go play madden 06 but dont talk that nonsense on here

It's only "dumb" as you put it to not look for ways to improve your team and to attain players who more suit your style of play.

What part of having a running back that has scored 80 TDs in 5 years and averages 1500 per season is "dumb".

Just expalin this to me. I love to be enlightened by a 17 year old who can't even rememebr the glory years and the power running game that Joe Gibbs made famous.

Fixing the Defensive line and finding a complimentary WR to go along with Moss would be a smarter thing to do.

1- we don't need to start over again at RB. Portis is young, and despite his shortcomings he is still one of the better RBs in the league.

2- I seriously doubt we could take another Coles like Cap hit and still fill other voids on this team.

Stand pat, maybe go after Abraham and a solid veteran WR... then cross our fingers that Campbell is the long term answer we've been looking for at QB since LT broke Joey T.

For a number of reasons, Alexander will be re-signed in Seattle during the off-season, so none of this will even matter.

1. He has it good in Seattle. They are already winners, and are clearly one of the more dominating up and coming NFC teams.

2. He wont get as much money on the open market than he will get in Seattle.

Don't see a need to replace Portis, different skill set sure, but nothing that can't be worked with.... between Portis, Betts, Rock, Nemo (and anyone else who shows up off-season) we should covered at running back.

Besides, "running backs are a dime a dozen" according to some that I've read around these parts. :cool:

Needs are elsewhere, fix them first.

There are about a hundred things that need fixing on the Skins more than dumping Portis for a better RB. There are only 2 RBs that I'd rather have than Portis, LT and SA, and we can't get either one of them. Besides that, we are irrevocably locked into Portis' contract. How about we concentrate on things that really need fixing, like the D line, another good OG and WR, another good young CB, etc, etc, etc. Portis is one of the team's strong points, forget trying to improve an area where we are already miles ahead of most teams.

bro u just dont dump ur high payed back for another high payed....its called salary cap....u dont just dump team chermisty for non at all....how do u know that shaun gonna fit our offense that great....how bout when gibbs isnt here no more....is he gonna fit it then.....its just a dumb subject and its retard to even think bout dropin CP.....end of subject

It's only "dumb" as you put it to not look for ways to improve your team and to attain players who more suit your style of play.

you and ur buddy that think ST should be our goal line back go talk bout this....

What part of having a running back that has scored 80 TDs in 5 years and averages 1500 per season is "dumb".

Just expalin this to me. I love to be enlightened by a 17 year old who can't even rememebr the glory years and the power running game that Joe Gibbs made famous.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM..............................

NONONONOONONONONOONONONOONOONONONONONONONOONONONONOONONONONONOONONONONONONONOONONONO

NONONONOONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONOONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we let Clinton go it would devastate our team chemistry and salary cap thing. Hes very productive, great pass blocker, good hands, EVERYBODY LOVES HIM IN WASHINGTON INCLUDING THE FANS, MEDIA, AND COACHES!:notworthy Clinton:notworthy

Hes on pass to break Stephen Davis's all-time rushing record for the Redskins and look at his stats this year and last year. Hes improving every game and year.

And Shaun Alexander runs in a totally diffrent running style in Seattle.

Lets face it everybody

Clinton Portis= Redskin for Life!!!

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Clinton Portis:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

Ahhh, you have to love the ill-informed (even blind) Clinton followers....

It's great that CP is on track to surpass Stephen Davis....Only problem is, you don't even know who the all-time leading rusher for this organization IS ! Stephen Davis is not 1st (or second) on the lest. He ranks third behind John Riggins (who truly deserves the :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy ) and Larry Brown. Davis is almost 2000 ydsbelow Riggo and trails him by 34 TDs.

--As for the original poster, I understand your desire to get a more physical back in Washington and to the naked eye - Alexander seems to be built to fit the mold. Only problem is.......he doesn't run the way he is built. He looks like a punisher but he's not -- he is more of a guy who likes to take his time, set up blocks, and usually looks to put a move on someone instead of lowering his shoulder. Don't get me wrong, he would be a better fit than Clinton, but still not what we need. A powerful down-hill runner like Larry Johnson would IMMEDIATELY change this offense for the better -- but good luck getting hold of him.......

First off, Id take Alexander over Portis anyday

Secondly, I'd take a back thats not quite as good in short distance but is explosive over a back who is but is older.

Guys dont be stupid and just say um let me think about it no. Put some thought into it geez.

CP is the man....and he needs to stay, but Alexander IS a better back.

He seems to more like a "Gibbs-style-power-running-back".

"Shaun Alexander" and "power-running-back" should never be used in the same sentence again. He is a finesse type runner and most of the time goes down after the first hit -- definitely NOT a power back.

Also, Alexander's numbers are a bit overrated in my opinion, as he plays six games a year against San Fran, Arizona and St. Louis; not exactly defensive power houses. Put him in the NFC East or NFC South or AFC West and see how his stats look then. I don't think they'd be nearly as good.

Ahhh, you have to love the ill-informed (even blind) Clinton followers....

It's great that CP is on track to surpass Stephen Davis....Only problem is, you don't even know who the all-time leading rusher for this organization IS ! Stephen Davis is not 1st (or second) on the lest. He ranks third behind John Riggins (who truly deserves the :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy ) and Larry Brown. Davis is almost 2000 ydsbelow Riggo and trails him by 34 TDs.

I think he meant Stephen Davis' single-season rushing record which is at like 1400 and something yards.

Larry Johnson would make the Redskins better than Alexander would? Wow. thats all i have to say. Wow.

He absolutely would bc (as most of the posts around here try to get across time after time) it's not a TALENT issue. CP has a lot of natural athletic talent -- if it were that simple I would just say "he's the right one for us so let's leave it at that". Problem is....it's not an athletic talent issue -- it's an issue of how does the back fit your system. Shaun Alexander, despite his obvious God-given abilities, would not fit in this system much better than CP does bc of his STYLE OF RUNNING. L J however, and his hunger for beating down defenses, would. It's really not that complicated. And let's not forget that, for a bruiser, Johnson is not slow by ANY stretch of the imagination..

bro u just dont dump ur high payed back for another high payed....its called salary cap....u dont just dump team chermisty for non at all....how do u know that shaun gonna fit our offense that great....how bout when gibbs isnt here no more....is he gonna fit it then.....its just a dumb subject and its retard to even think bout dropin CP.....end of subject

Lets leave the 'dumb' and 'retarded' comments out of it please. Its not an outrageous question by any means.

Archived