Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Upset with people comparing portis with riggins

Sherlock Holmes

reading through various posts i was shocked and upset when i heard Clinton Portis being compared to John Riggins, and sometimes being favoured to the diesel. you do know why he was called the diesel dont you??!!! People say the skins offensive line back then was awesome, well of course it was. but it was what Riggins done AFTER he broke through the holes that was special. he just couldnt be stopped because of his sheer determination to get to that first down marker or the endzone or whatever. you just couldnt bring him down. he would break tackles all over the place. sorry bbuzz1962 for re-arguing your point btw. you give clinton portis a hole and he will accelerate right through it but he needs another set of blockers in the secondary. he wont break a tackle like the diesel would and he wont carry defenders. THAT is why you just cant compare portis to riggins.:notworthy

This might be my youth talking but when riggins played werent those the days of 235 pound d lineman? I'm not taking anything away from a former Redskin great, but I dont think its off base to compare Portis to Riggins. It may not be a logical comparison but some people are acting like its comparing a pizza delivery man to Jesus.

reading through various posts i was shocked and upset when i heard Clinton Portis being compared to John Riggins, and sometimes being favoured to the diesel. you do know why he was called the diesel dont you??!!! People say the skins offensive line back then was awesome, well of course it was. but it was what Riggins done AFTER he broke through the holes that was special. he just couldnt be stopped because of his sheer determination to get to that first down marker or the endzone or whatever. you just couldnt bring him down. he would break tackles all over the place. sorry bbuzz1962 for re-arguing your point btw. you give clinton portis a hole and he will accelerate right through it but he needs another set of blockers in the secondary. he wont break a tackle like the diesel would and he wont carry defenders. THAT is why you just cant compare portis to riggins.:notworthy

So 44Diesel44 did you actually see John Riggins play? Going by the age you list, it seems to me that it would be kinda hard since he retired 20 years ago. Highlight films are wonderful things, but to judge somebody's "greatness" based on a sanitized version of their career is not going to work.

John Riggins during the "Hogs" years was a sledgehammer. He did not break many long runs. His YPC (3.1, 3.6 and 3.8) are a testament to that. What he did in Super Bowl 17 was a one of a kind run and a great great moment in Redskins history :cheers: . However, he never did that again. John Riggins was great at slamming the ball into a defender and he was indeed a load but to characterize him as a guy who broke takles all the time would be incorrect.

Clinton Portis, if he could get to the linebackers or secondary clean, would make as many guys miss him as John Riggins broke tackles of. Two different styles to be sure, but Clinton Portis is the better talent. I remember John Riggins and I have every game of his from the "glory seasons" and I do not hesitate in the least when I voice the opinion that Clinton Portis is a better back. But I will say this, John Riggins was an "old" RB during this time. The Riggo of the 70's might be a fairer comparison but I don't really remember that John Riggins and I have only a few games from that era to evaluate so I'm not really willing to offer an opinion on that. All I can go on is his numbers during that time and while good, they don't compare to Clinton Portis' first 4 seasons in the league.

Bottom line for me is this.

Clinton Portis is a better talent.

Clinton Portis has put up just as good numbers (except for TDs) as John Riggins despite the fact that he's playing with an inferior line and inferior talent around him on offense.

The only thing Riggins has is the career numbers. But fact is, in 3 more seasons, Clinton Portis WILL own the Redskins career rushing mark. Another fact is that in less than 4 seasons as an NFL runningback, Clinton Portis is halfway to John Riggins' career rushing total. So realistically, Portis is about 4 or 5 seasons from passing John Riggins on the all-time list and when he does, he still won't be 30 years old. :notworthy

I don't know why people are afraid to embrace the fact that we have a great player playing for us now. This is not a slam against Riggins. He had his time. He made his mark and did some great things as a member of the Washington Redskins. Why does it have to be such a negative to say that we have someone now in town who is better?

Should we expect to never see a QB play for us who is better than Sammy Baugh or Sonny Jurgensen?

Will we never see a wide receiver as good as Charly Taylor or Art Monk?

If the answer to those questions is yes, that is pretty depressing to think that we should never hope for a player to become the "greatest" player at his position in team history because that "slot" is already been occupied by a "legend" and our collective memories just won't allow for someone else to take the top spot.

I believe more people will warm up to Portis > Riggins viewpoint the longer Clinton is in town. I do understand that he still seems to be a bit of an "outsider" right now and to put him in the same company as a Redskin legend is off putting, but this guy is the real deal, Joe Gibbs saw it and that's why he went out and got him.

You are 15. You weren't alive when Riggins played.

Exactly. You cannot compare the two men due to the fact that Riggins was part of a sucessful team. Portis is a slash type runner, and Riggins was a smash mouth runner. If you asked me who we need right now, I would take the smashmouth runner. We have lost too many games this year due to lack of 3rd down conversions. You just didn't worry about that back then. I cannot say that about Portis. I really don't know if he will pick up a 3rd and one. I grit my teeth every time he gets the ball wondering if he will convert. An ideal team would have one of each runner, but their truly is no comparison in these two men.

Portis is really good on Madden06. Just last night I beat the Giants and he blew up for 196 yards and 2 TDs. Riggo on the other hand, didn't even make the roster.

Ah, that explains it, Madden06. I mean who would play a video game where you drove a single player into seven guys and dragged them 4 yards 20 times in row for a touchdown (and who would play against you?!)

Heres to John Riggin - the most dependable runner & yet boring Madden06 player ever.

been a skins fan since 85 so i cant really compare riggins to anyone, portis has ALOT TO PROVE HE SHOULD NOT even be compared with earnyst byner or george rogers! it takes more than a 1000 yard season to earn my respect

How about 2 1500 yd seasons and two 1000 yd seasons. I believe those are respectable #s. More so than any other 24 yr old in the league anyway.

Archived