Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rate the first team defense tonight

monarch34

I didn't get to see or listen to the game (I saw some updates on the sportsline site and here). I would love to see someone critique the first team D. Most of the threads seem to be focused on the QB and WR race and I need a change of pace. I did read about the two hits that knocked out the 2 QB's. Scary. I would not want to go against Lavar. By the stats, though, no one else seemed to stand out. Lavar had 7 tackles/assists, but neither Armstead nor Trotter had more than 2. Did they, or anyone else, look good?

The D as a whole played extremely well...

until Stewart went out. Then they just went to being average at best. Don't ask why. I guess part of it was that O keep having turnovers, which lead to shortened fields.

Our corners made some nice plays but could have played better.

But man...LaVar was a frickin' monster out there!

Just had time to skim thru the tape of the game and it looks like we arent maintain position in the middle when it comes to scrambling QBs.

No spy for now which is cool since its preseason but I dont like the pattern.

Then again Lavar laying the smackdown on two QBs should tell McNabb, a various other scramblers to bewae.

In the first quarter, when both teams were playing for real, it was a classic NFL slugfest between 2 solid defenses. Ours was insane; LaVar had the house rocking, Big Daddy was playing like a maniac, and Champ, after a slow start, clamped down. Pittsburgh answered with what you'd expect from the best defense in football. They were good. Very good.

At the start of the 2nd quarter, Sonny Jurgensen noted that the Skins had begun to work some backups in, and Pittsburgh started moving the ball behind Batch. You saw the regular backers and secondary, but you also saw quite a bit of Arp, Cowsette, L. Jackson. It was mix and match at that point, and you could see the difference.

You hear every preseason from veteran players around the league how they approach preseason games. "You want to get some work in, get loose, and the get out without any injuries." What they do NOT generally do, is sell out. The Skins defense, even with many starters playing the first half, did NOT play at a full boil beyond the first 2 or 3 series. Some of the hand-wringers among will say they were "exposed." Don't buy it. When the "game" was fresh, and the electricity was on, they were on fire.

Just ask Kordell Stewart and Charlie Batch.

Seemed to me like they turned down the heat a bit after the Stewart injury. Up ‘til then they were playing like it was the playoffs. Not long after, they started playing like it was preseason again.

Other than the frustrating inability to sniff out the screen, and the second straight game where the other team's best offensive play is the QB draw, I'm still pretty damn bullish on the starting defense. And based on what I've seen ... I sincerely HOPE other teams keep calling QB draw with their starter in there.

I'm thinking LaVar feels the same.

Oh yeah ... and we might get Daryl Gardener back, too. :)

great observations OM, kind of summed it up pretty good. I will add though, that it seemed both Champ and Smoot played an inordinate amount of zone coverage.... which led to some nice receptions by Plexiglass. I will say this about him though, he's quite imposing at 6'5" and has pretty good hands. A couple of receptions were the result of Champ/Smoot releasing him to the safeties and the Steelers finding the seams and zones. I'm a bit disappointed by the play of the safeties. On the Randal El reverse alone, I saw little effort by Terrell or Shade to actually tackle the ball carrier.

Other than the frustrating inability to sniff out the screen, and the second straight game where the other team's best offensive play is the QB draw

On the very first 3rd and long where they ran a very successful screen, I'm sitting there saying "look out for the screen, the SCREEN!!!!!".

of course it's a screen for a long gain and a first down. :doh:

Here's my read. Marvin got outcoached, at least for the first half. I know that's heresy and all, but the 1st team D was able to get the Steelers into several 3rd and longs only to be screen-passed into oblivion. He looked mortal as far as scheming went. I've always been a supporter of Charlie Batch, but he played out of his head.

The only guy who lookes bad was Shade. On the Randel-el TD, he got victimized at least three times. I like the guy and all, but what I saw was a weakness to Marvin's D. Look, he sends blitz's regularly; he does not ask the LBs to hang out and ensure no runs up the middle. Early on, it got us burned.

But I think he'll respond wll to the challenge. I remarked to my friend after the win that this is probably the first time ever Lewis has been the weak link on the coaching side of the equation. Not for long, though.

The big things I was watching for from our D was stopping the run, and a pass rush.

In the first Q, we did both really well. Some things I remember:

Big Daddy can tackle Bettis from behind, simply by grabbing a handfull of jersey and pulling him backwards? Note if you ever meet this guy: don't shake hands. :)

Marvin seems willing to do something we've been wanting to see for a long time: play man on the receivers and send everybody else in. It seems to work.

I don't think Bettis had a run for a gain in the first three series. (And he tried three or four times). If we can stop Bettis, then that's good enough for me.

Re defense, I saw overpursuit, some weakness still in the middle (our problem for the last 7, 8 years), and frightening susceptibility to the screen. Corners were soft too.

I also saw hard hitting, swarming to the ball, and intensity. Compared to what we've had under Norv, I'll take the latter anyday.

Still a ways to go though. But hey...it's a new coach, new system -- again. Things will straighten out a few game into the season.

Archived