Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Classical Music

GrapeApe

Anyone on here a classical music aficionado. My daughter has shown an interest and my collection is pretty inadequate (about 30 CD's). My music club has some pretty good deals on classical CD's so I thought I'd improve my collection.

What are some of the essential recordings. Not just composer but which orchestra's are considered the best. I have all of Beethovens symphonies, all of Dvoraks symphonies, the Brandenburg concertos. The Four Seasons. And some others sprinkled in.

i'm definitely not an expert, but i really like the stuff put out by Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Josh Bell, Mike Marshall, Mark O'Conner and a few others...

Its a series - Appalachian Journey, Appalachian Waltz, and i believe there are two more (i forget their names, i have them at home).

They have a slightly bluegrass overtone, but are beautiful Americana classical. Plus, James Taylor and Alison Krauss make guest appearances.

What are some of the essential recordings. Not just composer but which orchestra's are considered the best. I have all of Beethovens symphonies, all of Dvoraks symphonies, the Brandenburg concertos. The Four Seasons. And some others sprinkled in.

Here's the authoritative guide on the subject. A thick book, it makes a good gift:

The Penguin Guide

"Great conductors make great orchestras", I always say, whenever I'm ungagged by my captors. :) Herbert Von Karajan's recordings with the Berlin Philharmonic are typically brilliant. :cheers:

BTW, there's a world-class symphony orchestra based right here in the U.S., in Cleveland of all places. Might make a nice birthday trip. I'll drive, if you'll come bust me out of here:

Cleveland Orchestra

As someone that grew up playing the piano, I've pretty partial to Artur Rubinstein. You probably aren't going to buy his 94-CD collection from RCA, but I paritcularly like his Chopin Nocturnes, and there are a number of good CD's out there.

Also for other Romantic Era music, your daughter may connect with something from a young artist like Sarah Chang, such as her recently popular "Fire and Ice."

Archived