Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scoop on HD channels of Directv?

smashmowf

Anyone in the DC area know the real scoop on directv's hd channels......I only have like 10 or so and they have been promising me since JUNE that more would be coming in a few months....will guess what its December! Its always a great feeling to see that the local channels are broadcasting in HD but even with all the lovely equipment I have Directv satellites cant give me what I need.:rolleyes:

My tv does not have a tuner, everything goes through the directv receiver....so would the antenna still work?

nope you have to hae a HD turner I had a sumsung Direct tv HD receiver it had a turner inside, that just went over the local air it wasn't like Direct Tv added more channels like they promised.

Comcast HD is 10 times better than directv hd. You get all HD channels local and all TNT, COMCAST SPORTS NET HD, and plenty more.

My tv does not have a tuner, everything goes through the directv receiver....so would the antenna still work?

No it will not work, If you're HDTV does not have a over the air tuner then you will have to by one..

Note: Comcast and DirectTV can only produce 720 res max.

over-air you can get 1080 Res and let me tell you its sweet ! you will need a decent tuner box and antenna and also be close enought to the brodcast towers

HDTV tuner (what I have and it is a very good box)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-HD-Receiver-SIR-T451-/sem/rpsm/oid/98127/catOid/-15607/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

EC.SAM.SIRT451.jpg

Outdoor HDTV Antenna (HDTVS)

EC.TRK.HDTVS.JPG

tool to figure out correct antenna

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Good luck

No it will not work, If you're HDTV does not have a over the air tuner then you will have to by one..

Note: Comcast and DirectTV can only produce 720 res max.

over-air you can get 1080 Res and let me tell you its sweet ! you will need a decent tuner box and antenna and also be close enought to the brodcast towers

HDTV tuner (what I have and it is a very good box)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsung-HD-Receiver-SIR-T451-/sem/rpsm/oid/98127/catOid/-15607/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

EC.SAM.SIRT451.jpg

Outdoor HDTV Antenna (HDTVS)

EC.TRK.HDTVS.JPG

tool to figure out correct antenna

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx

Good luck

I think your referring to 720p and 1080i. They are actually similar in resolution. Some say 720p is even better for sports. Fox uses 720p for its NFL telecasts. Both comcast and DircecTv broadcast 720p and 1080i the real issue is how much they compress the signal. Signal compression is HDTV's enemy it is what causes the block artifacts you sometimes see with fast motion.

The reason OTA HDTV sometimes looks better is less compression is used. That is also starting to change though. You ever see the second and third channels the OTA broadcasters are sending out now?? ie7.1,7.2,7.3

They are actually compressing the signal in that channel to be able to broadcast 3 channels form the one digital channel bandwidth. Thus degrading the HD signal.

I think your referring to 720p and 1080i. They are actually similar in resolution. Some say 720p is even better for sports. Fox uses 720p for its NFL telecasts. Both comcast and DircecTv broadcast 720p and 1080i the real issue is how much they compress the signal. Signal compression is HDTV's enemy it is what causes the block artifacts you sometimes see with fast motion.

Thanks for the correction and added info ! :cheers:

just bought into what they say on the box of my tuner, Only way to get true HD is with a Over-Air tuner.. They got me.. :doh:

From what I gather you're receiving HD channels now through DirecTv. Which means of course that your DirecTV receiver has a HDTV tuner built-in. This being the case, you ABSOLUTELY can receive local over-the-air (OTA) channels by simply connecting an OTA antenna (really a UHF antenna) to your DirecTv receiver. Using the DirecTv set-up menu, you run a scan for local OTA channels so that they will appear on your Menu Guide. Then, switching and surfing back-and-forth from local OTA channels to satellite channels is seamless. For instance, my local OTA HDTV channels start at 2 and run through 68 (they all appear on the DirecTv Guide along with the satellite channels). Using my DirecTv remote I can select HD channel 006-1 (which is really my local CBS channel 6 ) as well as any of the satellite channels.

I have both the Hughes and Zenith DirecTv HD tuners and they function identically.

To maximize my local OTA HD Channel reception I mounted a Terk TV36 antenna in my attic and ran the cable through the attic and down the wall where my DirecTv receiver is located.

If you want to know what kind of antenna will best maximize HD OTA reception in your particular area visit: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

From what I gather you're receiving HD channels now through DirecTv. Which means of course that your DirecTV receiver has a HDTV tuner built-in. This being the case, you ABSOLUTELY can receive local over-the-air (OTA) channels by simply connecting an OTA antenna (really a UHF antenna) to your DirecTv receiver. Using the DirecTv set-up menu, you run a scan for local OTA channels so that they will appear on your Menu Guide. Then, switching and surfing back-and-forth from local OTA channels to satellite channels is seamless. For instance, my local OTA HDTV channels start at 2 and run through 68 (they all appear on the DirecTv Guide along with the satellite channels). Using my DirecTv remote I can select HD channel 006-1 (which is really my local CBS channel 6 ) as well as any of the satellite channels.

I have both the Hughes and Zenith DirecTv HD tuners and they function identically.

To maximize my local OTA HD Channel reception I mounted a Terk TV36 antenna in my attic and ran the cable through the attic and down the wall where my DirecTv receiver is located.

If you want to know what kind of antenna will best maximize HD OTA reception in your particular area visit: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Now thats good stuff Kurp....I'll definitely check it out...thanks.

Not all DirecTV HD tuners are capable of pulling in OTA (over the air) HD signals. My Sony tuner does DirecTV and OTA but my brother bought a HD tuner from Direct (brand?) and it only gets DirecTV HD.

DirecTV, Cable and OTA are three different HD animals. Some tuners have multiple capabilities, but some only deal with one type.

The other problem with getting local HD feeds is that you have to get a waiver from the local affiliates. I applied to get the feeds and Fox was the only one that DID NOT turn me down. I am still in the process of getting this resolved, but right now the only HD local channel I have is Fox (channel 88)

The local DC stations will be in HD early 2006. They had a delay in launching the new sats. 5 markets already have them. You will need a new dish and receiver. Once they add the 20 top markets with local HD stations, they will roll out the national HD channels.

As far as OTA, I believe every Directv HD receiver has a buil-in ATSC tuner that will get local HD with an antenna. I would never buy a Terk antenna, they don't work well and cost more. The best reception I have seen if u are within 40 miles of the tower is the channel master 4221: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=SCM4221A

Not all DirecTV HD tuners are capable of pulling in OTA (over the air) HD signals. My Sony tuner does DirecTV and OTA but my brother bought a HD tuner from Direct (brand?) and it only gets DirecTV HD.

DirecTV, Cable and OTA are three different HD animals. Some tuners have multiple capabilities, but some only deal with one type.

That would be wrong information. ALL DirecTV HD Receivers are capable of pulling in local HD channels. In fact, it says so right here on DirecTv's website.

Q: How does the DIRECTV HDTV offering compare to other companies' HDTV service?

A: When connected to an off-air antenna, all DIRECTV HD Receivers will receive and integrate your off-air digital local channels into the Advanced Program Guide™. This allows you to access both DIRECTV® programming and off-air digital local channels, including high-definition programming broadcast by your local stations, using your DIRECTV HD Receiver, and provides program guide information for your off-air digital local channels.

The other problem with getting local HD feeds is that you have to get a waiver from the local affiliates. I applied to get the feeds and Fox was the only one that DID NOT turn me down. I am still in the process of getting this resolved, but right now the only HD local channel I have is Fox (channel 88)

A bit of clarification is warranted here. You DO NOT need a waiver from your local affiliates to receive local HD channels with an over-the-air antenna hooked to your DirecTV receiver. Why would you? You're pulling in the local affiliates "over the air".

Now, if you can't get local HD reception via an OTA antenna THEN you're required to get a waiver from your local affiliates allowing DirecTv to provide you national HD feeds of FOX, CBS, ABC, and NBC.

The beauty of digital transmission is that it is a hit or miss type of reception. You either get a great picture or no picture at all (there can be some artifacts if you're getting "fringe" reception). For instance, I live in Oviedo (right outside of Orlando) and when I tune to an analog broadcast by a Melbourne television station I barely can detect a picture through all of the static and interference. However when I tune to that same station, which is simultaneously broadcasting a digital signal, I receive a perfect clear picture.

Which is why of course getting waivers from local affiliates has become a rare necessity. Analog stations that are hard to pick up come in clear as day when broadcast digitially.

I would never buy a Terk antenna, they don't work well and cost more. The best reception I have seen if u are within 40 miles of the tower is the channel master 4221: http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?main_cat=03&CAT=&PROD=SCM4221A

If we were talking strictly analog, yes, Channel Master has a far better and well-deserved reputation for making quality antennas. They've also come down quite a bit in price over the past couple of years, which is good news if their quality hasn't slipped with the lower prices.

I fully expected the Terk36 to perform poorly. I got it cheap from someone and figured, "what the heck", I'd give it a try. Without much tweaking, living in Oviedo, FL, I am able to receive a digital signal from as far away as 68 miles (WBCC in Cocoa). I'm sure it helps that I have in mounted in the attic of my 2-story house. This despite not being able to pick up their analog broadcast at all.

Based on my own experience, I'd have to venture that HD reception on OTA antennas is more forgiving when comparing antennas.

Guest sith lord

I'm glad you guys answered all of the questions I was about to ask Directv. Right now, I'm pretty upset with the HD packages and the empty promises they made.

Archived