Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDTV, is it worth it?

dcoles11

I recently graduated from college and i've found a job so next year i'm going to get the NFL pass on direct tv so I don't have to go to a bar and watch the Redskins.

I was also thinking about getting a 52 inch HDTV. I have a 32 inch flat screen tv and it gets the job done but i've always wanted a bigger tv.

For those of you that have HD is it worth it?

What are the draw backs?

I just would rather get the opinion of someone that has one rather than hear it from some sales guy working on commission that isn't going to shoot me straight.

It is night and day and completely worth it. The only drawback is that shows not in HD will annoy you. The price has come down so much that it makes no sense to buy a tv that does not have HD capabilities. Non-HD Directv on a set larger than 32" looks like crap because they compress it so much, particularly Sunday Ticket games.

It is night and day and completely worth it. The only drawback is that shows not in HD will annoy you. The price has come down so much that it makes no sense to buy a tv that does not have HD capabilities. Non-HD Directv on a set larger than 32" looks like crap because they compress it so much, particularly Sunday Ticket games.

Ya, the 32 inch non HDTV I have is about 3 years old, at the time HDTVs were just too much for me.

I heard someone say that the channels or stations that don't have HD capability don't come in very well on an HDTV, is that true? Sorry if its a stupid question, I really know nothing about it.

I heard someone say that the channels or stations that don't have HD capability don't come in very well on an HDTV, is that true? Sorry if its a stupid question, I really know nothing about it.

They come in fine , you just have 2 black borders on each side of your screen when a HD channel is not brodcasting in HD. Meaning... they set aside a block of channels that are HD channels, but if you turn on a CBS game or something

and its not being brodcast in HD (ie just a digital brodcast) you get the black borders.

HDTV is AWESOME for football. However, there are just not enough channels broadcasting in HD. I only get about 10 with Comcast. The signal for "regular" channels isn't bad, it just looks that way after watching HD.

That's a good way to describe it :laugh:

I can watch tv without glasses with HD,but it spoils you when you go back to regular feed.

The first time I watched a show in HD it was so clear it was hard to look at, no kidding. As I watched it for the first time I thought "this amlost hurts to look at," and then my wife chimed in that it almost hurt her eyes to watch it too, it was that clear.

Anyway, non-HD channels come in fine, they just look bad in comparison. One feature you'll want in your new TV is the option to expand, stretch, etc. the non-HD image, especially if you go with a wide screen (and why wouldn't you?). This way you don't have the black bars, which can burn into the screen on rear-projection sets.

The problem with direct tv is that they don't include HD with the NFL package

($200). I asked them the other day if paying the extra $10 a month for the

"HD Package" would include HD channels in the NFL package and the answer was NO. I was then told you had to pay an additional $100 for the HD

NFL channells (superfan pkg) which I'm not doing. My 65" sony xbr projection tv looks great when not in HD mode.

Direct TV had a big advertizing campaign in the begining of the year saying they were going to have "hundreds" of HD channells this fall, presumably to keep subscribers from jumping ship to "Voom" a then new sat network with 40 HD channels. I asked Direct TV where there new HD channels were (they now have 10) no answer, which equals BS.

I have a 60' Sony HDTV. When it is on an HD channel, it is amazing. When on a regular channel, the TV is still great, but I feel as though I am missing part of something that I'm watching.

HD is worth every penny. It is incredible the difference in picture quality. As someone else said, once you go HD, you won't ever go back.

About 2 years ago I bought this tv for my home theater.

KDF-70XBR950

kdf70xbr9508nz.jpg

I liked it sooo much I went out and bought this one last month for my family room upstairs.

KDF-E50A10

kdfe42a108bu.jpg

Once you go HDTV you'll hate watching regular TV. Also with the 16x9 aspect ratio you actually get to see more of the field while watching football.

I got my HDTV a couple of years ago, it is outstanding.

I have fifteen or so HD stations, but the sports in HD is where it's at. Hockey is a different sport in High-def, and football is great.

And, since you're a Redskin fan, at least 14 of your games will be guaranteed in HD, since fox broadcasts everything. CBS hasn't caught up yet.....

I just bought a 52" Mitshubishi HDTV. The picture is stunning. Use HDMI for the hook up. Even for just the picture (doesn't support surround sound) you can see a difference over component vid cables.

If you go HDTV you have to do HDMI and the 5.1 is in it.

Do not even think of EDTV it is not even close.

i wouldn't go Plasma but LCD, they have been around the longest except of couse the huge 150lb tvs

HD is worth it. I always scan the HD stations first to see what's playing before I check anything else. Football is great but basketball is fantastic.

Just be aware that buying an HD ready t.v. is only the beginning of your expense. Depending on whether you use your cable provider or DirecTV, there are all sorts of monthly fees to get HD stations.

Heaven is a HD DVR service. DVR's are well worth the money. There are several shows that I have set the DVR to record like Lost, E-Ring etc., and it just does it. I don't even remember which nights they actually air and if the night changes the DVR catches it. A DVR puts you in control. If I'm getting dinner I just tune to the Wizards station and the DVR automatically lets me rewind and watch the previous hour of any station that I am tuned to. I catch up to live action eventually by ff through the commercials.

I get irritatable now if I have to watch a commercial. If I'm watching a live show and a commercial comes on I pause the DVR and watch something else to let the live show get ahead so that I can come back and ff through all the commercials.

I'm spoilt. :silly::silly::silly:

I get irritatable now if I have to watch a commercial. If I'm watching a live show and a commercial comes on I pause the DVR and watch something else to let the live show get ahead so that I can come back and ff through all the commercials.

I'm spoilt.

isn't it sad actually. :) i don't have hd, but i do have DTV with tivo, and i haven't watched a commercial in ages. On wednesday's, Lost will tape, and then we will watch, just to FF through the commercials, actually, we do that with every show now! We are definitley spoilt, as you put it. :)

The problem with direct tv is that they don't include HD with the NFL package

($200). I asked them the other day if paying the extra $10 a month for the

"HD Package" would include HD channels in the NFL package and the answer was NO. I was then told you had to pay an additional $100 for the HD

NFL channells (superfan pkg) which I'm not doing. My 65" sony xbr projection tv looks great when not in HD mode.

Direct TV had a big advertizing campaign in the begining of the year saying they were going to have "hundreds" of HD channells this fall, presumably to keep subscribers from jumping ship to "Voom" a then new sat network with 40 HD channels. I asked Direct TV where there new HD channels were (they now have 10) no answer, which equals BS.

They reduced the Superfan to $49 and if you threthened to cancel, they would credit your account $49, making it free.

The new sats for HD were delayed in their launch, but are now up. They have begun to roll out local HD for 5 markets. The new sats are capable of delivering a couple of thousand HD stations. You will need a new dish and receiver to get the channels. The national HD stations will be added early next year.

If you go HDTV you have to do HDMI and the 5.1 is in it.

Do not even think of EDTV it is not even close.

i wouldn't go Plasma but LCD, they have been around the longest except of couse the huge 150lb tvs

LCD probably has the worst quality of all the HD projection methods. The best would be a 3 chip LCOS, which the Sony SXRD has as well as the new JVC LCOS 1080p tv's. DLP would be next and LCD bringing up the rear.

If you are talking about LCD panels v. plasma, HD plasmas look better, but cost about double.

LCD probably has the worst quality of all the HD projection methods. The best would be a 3 chip LCOS, which the Sony SXRD has as well as the new JVC LCOS 1080p tv's. DLP would be next and LCD bringing up the rear.

If you are talking about LCD panels v. plasma, HD plasmas look better, but cost about double.

I've viewed alot fo TV's and to me the best for viewing in a regularly lit room for the price is LCD projection. As for the 1080p sets its nice to have but there is no content in 1080p and won't be for quite some time. The networks have just purchased 1080i and 720p equipment. It will be a good while before they upgrade that.

The newer DLP are very nice to, but in a head to head comparison for me the LCD projection looked better. But better by very little.

I bought a 65" Mitsu with a HD/Tivo box about 6 months ago when I bought my house. It is in-effing-credible. HD is worth every penny, just for the sports alone. The difference is comparable to picture quality of a VHS vs. DVD. You can see the expressions on peoples faces in the crowd during TD's.

DRAWBACK ALERT!

I have DirectTV which I absolutely love, HOWEVER, you have to get permission from the local affiliates for NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox to get the feed in HD and Fox was the only one that let me. Which is OK since the Skins are on Fox, but bowl season is coming up and WVU will be on ABC. I have called the station manager for ABC a coupla times, i may start stalking him soon.

I liked the Sony rear projection LCD's better than the DLP's (Samsung). Both were outstanding though. You are going to have people on both sides state one is better. Unless you see the screen door effect (LCD) or rainbows (DLP) either would be a nice set to own. I still haven't bit the bullet yet. Still considering the 42" Sony LCD rear proj and the 42" Sammy DLP. But with football season nearly over, I doubt I do anything until next football season.

I bought a 65" Mitsu with a HD/Tivo box about 6 months ago when I bought my house. It is in-effing-credible. HD is worth every penny, just for the sports alone. The difference is comparable to picture quality of a VHS vs. DVD. You can see the expressions on peoples faces in the crowd during TD's.

DRAWBACK ALERT!

I have DirectTV which I absolutely love, HOWEVER, you have to get permission from the local affiliates for NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox to get the feed in HD and Fox was the only one that let me. Which is OK since the Skins are on Fox, but bowl season is coming up and WVU will be on ABC. I have called the station manager for ABC a coupla times, i may start stalking him soon.

Those HD tivo's are great. You should start complaining now though. Last I had heard when DTV switches compression to MPEG4 the HDTivo's or any of the MPEG2 boxes will work. DTV are going to give a credit to replace the normal boxes but as of now the HDTivo users are out of luck. It won't work anymore. Maybe if enough people complain the will replace those also.

Archived