Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs/Campbell

FlyinO

We stole this kid! He should have been a top 5 pick.

The question marks on Campbell's 13-0 record are based on having two high draft pick RBs in the same draft class. It's the same issue that Leinart has, but to a lesser extent because of the overall greater potency of the USC offensive attack. It's the old "But how much of Auburn's success was due to having Cadillac and Brown?"

Campbell looked good. I think he has a chance to be a very good NFL QB because of a good mix of mobility, good mid-range throwing skills, and decent accuracy on the long ball as I recall - and the all-important leadership. He was very impressive in how he handled the Auburn snub, I thought. I like the Redskins having players with good character who are well spoken, particularly at the QB position.

Still, he does have question marks. My personal take is the guy knows how to lead a winning football team, and does what it takes. When necessary, he makes the passes needed to win. That's all I need to know to say that he can be a success. He's not flashy (he can be exciting though), but he wins.

I think it's a benefit JC is used to playing with good running backs. And that he had to learn a new offense each year. And that he's big, mobile and has a good arm.

All he needs to do is transfer it all into the NFL and we have ourselves a QB who knows and has experienced the benefit of an all round offensive game. A QB who can learn AND implement new plays and styles. A part of the reason for this is his physical attributes which are very good.

Also I don't care what he scored on any test as a 'he's not smart' statement. A man who knows himself well enough to come across as a JG person (note person not player) in interviews and who also feels pressure in the pocket - what more do you want from a QB? We already know he had to learn 4 different playbooks in 4 years so that's enough of a hint of how smart a kid he is and how well he can study for me....

Ditto. The guy flew under a lot of radars. He was the most impressive college QB from 2004. No doubt.

Anyone who would argue this did not watch the guy play.

I watched him play. I thought he was pretty good, but could not take my eyes off the running backs.

I think he was a bit of a reach at 25. But I have no doubt he can be a good pro QB.

After what's invested in him, he'd better be.

I remember hearing post draft that if you looked at how Gibbs and Co. rated players in the draft, that Cambell was actually ranked higher than what the Redskins had Rothleisberger rated the year before.

My only concern with that is I still don't trust Gibbs as an evaluator of talent. And I don't trust Vinny as an evaluator of coffee.

Living in TN and being an alumni from the University of Alabama I was able to watch Campell play most of his games, probably all of his SEC matchups. The kid has great decision making ability, a huge arm, and he can make all the deep touch throws dropping it right on the outside shoulder of a reciever or arching the ball over a defender's head. He's a big, athletic, QB that can take a hit or shrug off a D-lineman with exceptional strength and quick feet. Anyone who saw Auburn's 13-0 season knows that he benifited from a great running game, but that should be seen as an advantage in the system that Gibbs runs. I heard that Auburn and the Skins pretty much run the same types of plays - pound the run then get a big gain on a play action fake. The kid runs the bootleg and all play-action brilliantly. I can see him being a star in this league...his body type and throwing ability remind me of another Redskins QB that wore #17. His leadership and charactar are also a big plus for Joe.

Character, talent, leadership, and team player. Also, he looks to the Lord for strength, just like Gibbs. He and Carlos have an Auburn tradition along with Marcus Washington and Robert Johnson, that Gibbs hopes will continue into the Redskins--good character, faith, hard work, and winning. It is a recipe for greatness. See links:

http://www.redskins.com/news/draftCentralDetail.jsp?id=1121http://www.redskins.com/news/draftCentralDetail.jsp?id=1121

http://www.redskins.com/news/draftCentralDetail.jsp?id=6708

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf?resources/draft_campbell.html

So....Nobody heard any quotes from Gibbs on why Campbell was such a must have? Personally, I think the Skins should of been more patient in the search for the quarterback of the future. We gave up too much for a quarterback that may not have the awareness or mental savvy to succeed in the NFL. Matt Schaub will be a restricted free agent in 2007. He was one option out of many. Living in Falcon's country, I've seen this guy play, and it's looking pretty good thus far. Hell, he might even be better than Vick.

So....Nobody heard any quotes from Gibbs on why Campbell was such a must have? Personally, I think the Skins should of been more patient in the search for the quarterback of the future. We gave up too much for a quarterback that may not have the awareness or mental savvy to succeed in the NFL. Matt Schaub will be a restricted free agent in 2007. He was one option out of many. Living in Falcon's country, I've seen this guy play, and it's looking pretty good thus far. Hell, he might even be better than Vick.

Well remember how badly our QB's struggled last year... Who knows if Patrick and Mark showed up this year like they did last year, we might be rooting to bench Jason right now... :) Luckily that didn't happen...

Living in Arkansas, I really wanted us to get Matt Jones, he's a playmaker, QB in college, built like a TE, speed like a WR. If we would have got him, he would have been a compliment to Santana, Short speedy WR and a big tall WR would be the ultimate combination...

Living in Arkansas, I really wanted us to get Matt Jones, he's a playmaker, QB in college, built like a TE, speed like a WR. If we would have got him, he would have been a compliment to Santana, Short speedy WR and a big tall WR would be the ultimate combination...

I wish we would of gotten Jones instead of Campbell. He seems less likely to be a bust.

I wish we would of gotten Jones instead of Campbell. He seems less likely to be a bust.

And why is that?

Because Jones led his team against top competition to 13-0?

Because Jones had 4 different O coordinators in 4 years?

Because Jones made big plays in a huge bowl game to lead his team to victory when his running game wasn't quite there?

Having seen Jason Campbell live, against a damn good defense in the sugar bowl last year, I am sold

The whole time I was getting frustrated because Tech would stuff the run, but on a 3rd and 17 Campbell would drop back, calmly avoid the rush, and make an on the money throw for a first down

One of the key plays in the first half was when Campbell avoided a sack, stepped up in the pocket and on the move found an open WR for a 58 yard gain

I was really stunned by his poise, I didn't think he had "it" quite like that, and instead thought (wrongly) if you could stop Cadillac and Ronnie Brown, you could stop that offense

He will be a very good player in the NFL

Hmmm. I have liked what I have seen of Schaub. BUT, why is it that when Vick is out injured for any period of time, the Falcons' game is in the toilet???

The truth is nobody knows why Gibbs did what he did. The rest of the league clearly did not see as much in Campbell as Gibbs did, and everybody though QB was way down on our list of needs. It seems to be a classic case of a coach becoming inexplicably enamored with a player, and with nobody else in the organization competent enough or in the position to get him to rethink what he was doing, they end up giving up a bunch of draft picks and ignoring other positions of much greater need.

Hopefully Gibbs is a genius who recognized greatness in a player others thought was not first round material. That's what the homers/teenagers on the this board are hanging their hats on. If not, the team could end up wasting another year or two trying to make something out of it, and then looking for another QB.

Worst case scenario, they get rid of Ramsey and he plays well for somebody else while Campbell stumbles. If so, Redskins=laughingstock of the NFL once again.

The only thing that worries me is his strength (only a 285lb bench press, built like a basketball player.) But other than that, I think he has all the tools. Can't wait to see him lead this offense.

I'm not too worried about that. How much do you think matt hassleback benches? Besides... in a football game you dont have to lift a bar off your chest. As long as he makes the right reads and makes some plays it doesnt matter.

And why is that?

Because Jones led his team against top competition to 13-0?

Because Jones had 4 different O coordinators in 4 years?

Because Jones made big plays in a huge bowl game to lead his team to victory when his running game wasn't quite there?

Having seen Jason Campbell live, against a damn good defense in the sugar bowl last year, I am sold

The whole time I was getting frustrated because Tech would stuff the run, but on a 3rd and 17 Campbell would drop back, calmly avoid the rush, and make an on the money throw for a first down

One of the key plays in the first half was when Campbell avoided a sack, stepped up in the pocket and on the move found an open WR for a 58 yard gain

I was really stunned by his poise, I didn't think he had "it" quite like that, and instead thought (wrongly) if you could stop Cadillac and Ronnie Brown, you could stop that offense

He will be a very good player in the NFL

Nice to see someone actually basing their opinion on fact. Campbell was MONEY in that game, time and time again. That was by far the biggest game of his career, and he was cool as a cucumber.

You don't go 13-0 in the SEC without great QB play. Yes, he had the support of a great running game, but that is exactly how Gibbs wants to run the Skins offense. Actually, Auburn's offense was very Skins-like that season.

Campbell has great leadership skills, good armstrength and mobility, and he's super accurate. I think what Gibbs really likes about him though is his decision making. He was very smart with the football that season, and very rarely turned it over.

The truth is nobody knows why Gibbs did what he did. The rest of the league clearly did not see as much in Campbell as Gibbs did, and everybody though QB was way down on our list of needs. It seems to be a classic case of a coach becoming inexplicably enamored with a player, and with nobody else in the organization competent enough or in the position to get him to rethink what he was doing, they end up giving up a bunch of draft picks and ignoring other positions of much greater need.

Hopefully Gibbs is a genius who recognized greatness in a player others thought was not first round material. That's what the homers/teenagers on the this board are hanging their hats on. If not, the team could end up wasting another year or two trying to make something out of it, and then looking for another QB.

Worst case scenario, they get rid of Ramsey and he plays well for somebody else while Campbell stumbles. If so, Redskins=laughingstock of the NFL once again.

I've been noticing your posts since the beginning of the season, and what is so annoying about them is you state you pro Ramsey/anti Gibbs opinions as fact.

There are plenty of people around the league that know exactly why Gibbs took Campbell, and there were other teams that were also interested in Campbell. There were other NFL guys who said after the draft that Campbell was their highest rated QB in the draft.

Also, not everybody thought QB was way down on our list of needs. There were plenty of people that could see why Gibbs didn't have a lot of faith in Ramsey to take the Skins to the promised land. Even if Ramsey had capitalized on the chance he got from Gibbs, it would have been smart to have another young QB waiting in the wings. Gibbs, like most in the NFL, believes that QB is the most important position on the team, and we were quite thin at QB.

Also, you don't have to be a homer or a teenager to believe in Gibbs ability to choose QBs. No other coach in the history of the league can match his record of choosing, developing, and winning Superbowls with different QBs.

Lastly, the Skins have never been a laughing stock with Gibbs in charge, but they have been champs. 3 times in fact.

Man, you must have a huge man crush on Ramsey to be still beating that dead horse of yours 3 months later.

To be honest i think we moved up in the draft to get matt jones i really believe that after he got picked we chose the next option which was campbell

Nope!! The Jaguars wernt sold on Matt Jones as a first rounder, but they didnt need a QB so the next highest draftee on the board was Jones.

The Redskins wanted Cambell all the way. If they wanted Jones they could have easily got him from the Jaguars. The Jags already had wide outs ,

(#1 pick previous year )Reggie Williams, Jimmy Smith, and Ernest Wilford.

I've been noticing your posts since the beginning of the season, and what is so annoying about them is you state you pro Ramsey/anti Gibbs opinions as fact.

There are plenty of people around the league that know exactly why Gibbs took Campbell, and there were other teams that were also interested in Campbell. There were other NFL guys who said after the draft that Campbell was their highest rated QB in the draft.

Also, not everybody thought QB was way down on our list of needs. There were plenty of people that could see why Gibbs didn't have a lot of faith in Ramsey to take the Skins to the promised land. Even if Ramsey had capitalized on the chance he got from Gibbs, it would have been smart to have another young QB waiting in the wings. Gibbs, like most in the NFL, believes that QB is the most important position on the team, and we were quite thin at QB.

Also, you don't have to be a homer or a teenager to believe in Gibbs ability to choose QBs. No other coach in the history of the league can match his record of choosing, developing, and winning Superbowls with different QBs.

Lastly, the Skins have never been a laughing stock with Gibbs in charge, but they have been champs. 3 times in fact.

Man, you must have a huge man crush on Ramsey to be still beating that dead horse of yours 3 months later.

That is a great response to AJ_Skins' post. I'm not a teenager or a homer, however I'd prefer the 'homer' title to that of someone who keeps coming back to an organization they are clearly so down on, almost in a battered wife kinda way. There were statements made from several sources on both sides of the Campbell fence, but to use terms like "rest of the league" and "nobody" really brings out your Sally Jenkins like tendencies, AJ.

To be honest i think we moved up in the draft to get matt jones i really believe that after he got picked we chose the next option which was campbell

I agree. And if that was the case why didn't we get Heith Miller is the question.

havine Heith right now would have been a huge plus for this offense. Just look at how many times Sellers got the ball and scored and how many times Royal dropped the ball. Heith would have given Brunell another weapon along side Cooley and would have given defenses fits on how to stop TWO very good TE/H-back recievers.

I agree. And if that was the case why didn't we get Heith Miller is the question.

havine Heith right now would have been a huge plus for this offense. Just look at how many times Sellers got the ball and scored and how many times Royal dropped the ball. Heith would have given Brunell another weapon along side Cooley and would have given defenses fits on how to stop TWO very good TE/H-back recievers.

It would have been a very interesting offense had we drafted Miller

The thing is though, he and Cooley are very similar players. Great route runners, and pass catchers but only adequete at blocking

We have that H-back in Cooley, we didn't need another H-back, what we still need is a dominating blocking TE in the Don Warren mold

To be honest I was hoping we would either trade down the number 9 pick and accumulate other picks that way, package both of these to move up, or draft a WR at the 25 spot

I was stunned when we picked Campbell, but having seen in person what kind of player he is, I know we got a good one

It would have been a very interesting offense had we drafted Miller

The thing is though, he and Cooley are very similar players. Great route runners, and pass catchers but only adequete at blocking

We have that H-back in Cooley, we didn't need another H-back, what we still need is a dominating blocking TE in the Don Warren mold

To be honest I was hoping we would either trade down the number 9 pick and accumulate other picks that way, package both of these to move up, or draft a WR at the 25 spot

I was stunned when we picked Campbell, but having seen in person what kind of player he is, I know we got a good one

I don't agree. I think Miller is a good blocker (hell better than Royal) but with a guy like that and Cooley on the field you create mismatches all over the 10 to 15 yard routes. Honestly how many teams have good enough LBs to cover both those guys and still double Moss? And Miller just like Cooley will get better and better. What I am saying is if we wanted Matt Jones and he wasn't there Miller would have made sence for us. However I believe now that Gibbs just didn't trust Ramsey to be the QB of this team and love what he saw in Campbell. In retrospect however like I said in another post the best move for this year at least would have been to get Miller, take Canty with the 4th pick and beat Ramsey upside the head until he learns to be the QB that Gibbs wants him.

Archived