Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Plan for victory in Iraq - this might just work

AlexRS

Concentrate on highly visible small infrastructure projects that make everyday lives better for Iraqis. Electricity, water, sewer, roads - things like that.

Employ local people/firms to perform all the work.

Do not only concentrate on places where there is little insurgency. Start on the outskirts of that Sunny Triangle and slowly move in.

This would provide jobs to locals, as well as improve morale. It would also allow local leaders/businesses to emerge, forming a power structure.

Insurgents can claim that Iraq police paid by US are all traitors, but not construction workers in their own communities.

not exactly this, but looks like there is progress:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/07/bush.iraq/index.html

Why won't this happen? Because U.S. contractor companies would suffer if we pay locals to do stuff. Unfortunate but true... Imagine how many Iraqis we can hire for the same $$....

Concentrate on highly visible small infrastructure projects that make everyday lives better for Iraqis. Electricity, water, sewer, roads - things like that.

Do not only concentrate on places where there is little insurgency. Start on the outskirts of that Sunny Triangle and slowly move in.

This would provide jobs to locals, as well as improve morale. It would also allow local leaders/businesses to emerge, forming a power structure.

Insurgents can claim that Iraq police paid by US are all traitors, but not construction workers in their own communities.

Why won't this happen? Because U.S. contractor companies would suffer if we pay locals to do stuff. Unfortunate but true... Imagine how many Iraqis we can hire for the same $$....

You do know we've been doing this for the past two and a half years, right?

(I should know, I paid the Iraqi's for such projects throughout Northern Iraq).

In general, western contractors were only brought in (at least at that time) for projects for which Iraqi's were either not qualified (engineering some of the re-design of key infrastrucutre) or not suitable (i.e., manning our mess halls). Otherwise, at the time, we employed a lot of Iraqis.

This was from about June-Dec 2003 -- so things MAY have changed -- but I haven't seen any evidence either way.

Great idea. In fact I did this very thing for 9 months in Mahmudiyah which is about 30 miles south of Baghdad...right on the south-eastern corner of the Triangle that you mentioned. We did about 250 of these type of projects...schools, irrigation, clean(er) drinking water, smaller health "clinics", cleaning up trash, grading/paving roads, and the list goes on and on. We even hired locals to cover the events and write about them in the local papers.

The problem is, and the main source of my frusturation with the media, is NOBODY hears about ANY of this. Whenever US media came to our FOB for whatever reason my boss had me sit down with them and take them through all the projects we were working on and had completed. They were invited to every "grand opening/unveiling" of every project we did. They never showed. It really is a shame, in my opinion, that all the people back here get to hear about is suicider bombers and prisoner abuse.

I don't try to convince people on this board because everyone is firmly entrenched in their positions so it does no good.

If their are any open minded people on here rest assured that, at least on the micro level, this type of effort has been going on for the duration.

We have pretty much been trying that from the get go, it just doesn't work. We have been employing Iraqis for the better part of three years, but we also employ insurgents. They get the infastructure plans and destroy it from the inside. We have not been making progress on infastructure for the past two years because of things like this. Look at the stats for oil production and electricity, they are the same as they were 2 years ago. All our presence there is doing is igniting hatred for us right now.

Archived