Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sinead O'Connor at the 9:30 Club Last Night

E-Dog Night

Chalk this up to something I thought I would never do: see a Sinead O'Connor show where she does nothing but reggae covers, at a small venue like the 9:30 Club, no less.

But there she was, being backed up by the greatest reggae rhythm section in the history of the genre, Sly and Robbie. I didn't know that Sly & Robbie were part of the deal before I got there, which totally blew me away as I have seen them before, and they did not disappoint. Those dudes are tight. I really enjoyed myself, much to my surprise. I went in thinking that this would be good for grins and giggles and I came away very happy.

In case you were wondering, Sinead looked the same as always, shaved head and all. I got there a bit early and was just a few feet from the stage so I could see every little detail. She wore a white shall with 2 crucifixes hanging around her neck which kind of surprised me - was this the same woman who tore up a picture of the pope? And watching a white bald woman sing about the dreadlock Rastaman struck me as a little...less than authentic, maybe? But towards the end of the show it made for a perfect fit.

Regardless of what you think of her, the girl has an amazing voice and stage presence oozing out of her pores. I was astounded at how far she could hold the microphone away from her mouth and it still seemed like her voice filled evary nook and cranny of the club when she really belted a note out.

If she wanted to make a splashier career move she could have done a lot of different things, so this struck me as a real commitment on her part, and I seriously doubt that Sly and Robbie would have backed someone whose heart wasn't really into it. And she accredited herself in my view by not doing any Bob songs. She did do "Stepping Razor" and "Downpressor Man" by Peter Tosh though, the latter of which she dedicated to George Bush. Actually, she dedicated the entire show - "every note and every syllable" - to Bush and the start.

And predictably, there was one heckler. And the end of one of the tunes, she was saying "F*** George Bush" and something about being a true Christian, inferring that Bush is falsely pious (duh), at which point some drunken dude yelled out "You SUCK! You're not even an American!"

Sarge, was that you? ;)

Wow, first Sinead O'Connor, now Cyndi Lauper...who's next, Sheena Easton?

:laugh: dunno...cyndi has a "new" album out that's basically her redoing her best songs with other people.

i'm nervous about going b/c its the first "white" concert i've ever attended. i'm apprehensive about the type of crowd. i like her voice and the tickets are free, so i hope it goes well. :fingersx:

:laugh: dunno...cyndi has a "new" album out that's basically her redoing her best songs with other people.

i'm nervous about going b/c its the first "white" concert i've ever attended. i'm apprehensive about the type of crowd. i like her voice and the tickets are free, so i hope it goes well. :fingersx:

I take it you are black then? You'll be fine. You might even get some really good play from some ladies because of your "exotic" status at that show. It would be funny, though, if a black man got his ass kicked at a Cyndi Lauper show. ;)

Did Sinead O'Conor rip up a picture of Pres Bush?

If a house had sugar walls it would be pretty sticky in there...

No pic rip, just some good old fashioned verbal salvos. I have no idea what you meant by your second line, so here's a picture of Sheena Easton today:

sheena-easton.jpg

Glad to see she's getting work as Marg Helgenberger's stunt double on CSI.

No pic rip, just some good old fashioned verbal salvos. I have no idea what you meant by your second line, so here's a picture of Sheena Easton today:

sheena-easton.jpg

Glad to see she's getting work as Marg Helgenberger's stunt double on CSI.

and you consider yourself a music buff? for shame!!!! Sheena easton sang a song written by Prince called "Sugar Walls" which was code for her Punani. It was pretty freaky for an 80's song...

My sugar walls

my sugar walls.

Where I come from there's a place called heaven

That's the place where all the good children go.

The houses are of silver

the streets of gold.

But there's more where you come from - my sugar walls.

My sugar walls

my sugar walls.

Blood races to your private spots

let's me know there's a fire.

You can't fight passion when passion is hot

Temperatures rise inside my sugar walls.

Let me take you somewhere you've never been

I could show you things you've never seen.

I could make you never wanna fall in love again

Come spend the night inside my sugar walls.

Take advantage

it's alright

I feel so alive when I'm with you!

Come and feel my presence

it's reigning tonight.

Heaven on earth inside my sugar walls.

Let me take you somewhere you've never been

. . .

I can tell you want me - my sugar walls -

it's impossible to hide.

Your body's on fire

admit it! Come inside.

My sugar walls

my sugar walls.

Come inside my sugar walls

my sugar walls

my sugar walls.

Come spend the night inside my sugar walls

My sugar walls

my sugar walls

I was never a big fan of 80's pop. In fact, next to polka and speed metal, that's got to be my least favorite genre of music, if it can even be called that. But after you posted the lyrics, I remember the song now, vaugely.

"That's the place where all the good children go."

I guess that explains why I never had sex with Sheena.

I was never a big fan of 80's pop. In fact, next to polka and speed metal, that's got to be my least favorite genre of music, if it can even be called that. But after you posted the lyrics, I remember the song now, vaugely.

"That's the place where all the good children go."

I guess that explains why I never had sex with Sheena.

lol

:laugh:

Archived