Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anyone remember....

Bangee7

I have this image in my head when I think of the Cardinals.....

it was late 80's or early 90's and we were playing the Cardinals.

I think it was a road game, but my memory fails me.

Anyway, it was a fairly close game, they scored early in the 4th.

We're up something like 20-14 or so, and there's 9 minutes left.

Cardinals kick off & the 'Skins get the ball and .......... run out the clock.

It was like a 15 play drive...they burned all their time outs and we're downing the ball on their 5 yard line to end the game.

I would appreciate it if any long time fans could:

1) confirm my recollection

2) help me out with the specifics

That has been the lingering image I've had for Redskin football.

Even if I've embellished this somewhat, I'd love for my son and some of the younger 'Skins fan to see this type of ball control domination someday soon.

It was like a 15 play drive...they burned all their time outs and we're downing the ball on their 5 yard line to end the game.

Even if I've embellished this somewhat, I'd love for my son and some of the younger 'Skins fan to see this type of ball control domination someday soon.

Sounds just about like every game we used to play at the end "Back in the day" I'd like to say I remember that game, but quite honestly I just don't.

It was week 15 in the 91 season. We won 20-14 and went on to win the Super Bowl.

yes,it does sound exactly like it always was.that or Mosely coming in to add a little insurance.i too can not remember that specific game but they took ball control to a new level,for me,and i am still quite impressed when any team gets one of those 13-15 play drives that eat up 9-10 minutes and timeouts.

DColes, you remember that?...wow.

How much time was left when we got the ball?

I don't remember exactly how much time was left when we got the ball but I do remember being down near the goal line and just kneeling on the ball.

I was a young kid and I kinda wanted them to just punch it in the end zone one more time. :D

In that 91' game, the Cardinals got out to a 14-0 lead on us in the 1st half. We came back and won and wrapped up home field advantage in the playoffs on the way to Super Bowl 26.

What is funny is we had 2 bad weeks in a row by our standard that year

We were down 7-6 at halftime against the pitiful Rams the week before, and slept walk through the first half of this game against the Cards

Brad Edwards had a key 4th quarter interception in this game also

What is funny is we had 2 bad weeks in a row by our standard that year

We were down 7-6 at halftime against the pitiful Rams the week before, and slept walk through the first half of this game against the Cards

Brad Edwards had a key 4th quarter interception in this game also

Actually, I lived in LA at that time and was at the Rams/Redskins game. We LED 7-6 at the half and went on to win 27-6. Ricky Ervins broke one. But i know what you mean. The week before was when we lost to Dallas I think.

I'm still pissed we lost the finale to Philly when we pulled all our starters after losing out on the record for fewest sacks allowed in a season. I think we went into the last game having only allowed 7 sacks...the record I think was 9...but the Eagles got to us 3 times then we pulled all our starters and the eagles got a last second field goal to beat us 24-22. 17-2 was a great record but if we had gone 18-1, it would have put us in elite company with the 84' 49ers and the 85' Bears.

Actually, I lived in LA at that time and was at the Rams/Redskins game. We LED 7-6 at the half and went on to win 27-6. Ricky Ervins broke one. But i know what you mean. The week before was when we lost to Dallas I think.

I'm still pissed we lost the finale to Philly when we pulled all our starters after losing out on the record for fewest sacks allowed in a season. I think we went into the last game having only allowed 7 sacks...the record I think was 9...but the Eagles got to us 3 times then we pulled all our starters and the eagles got a last second field goal to beat us 24-22. 17-2 was a great record but if we had gone 18-1, it would have put us in elite company with the 84' 49ers and the 85' Bears.

If we had won Super Bowl 18 we would have been in some real elite company

I am still upset we didn't go undefeated in both 1983 and 1991. 1991 especially was a golden chance

And you are right, we were up 7-6, but not looking great. Joe Gibbs kicked chairs at halftime of that game right?

I dont remember that game. I was pretty young. I do remember beating the Oilers in overtime in week 9 that year - I was at that one. The Oilers kicker missed a field goal. Lohmiller (?) didn't miss his though. Everybody at RFK was yelling "9-0!" It was the only game I ever saw at RFK.

I was just 10, so the rest is a bit hazy.

I dont remember that game. I was pretty young. I do remember beating the Oilers in overtime in week 9 that year - I was at that one. The Oilers kicker missed a field goal. Lohmiller (?) didn't miss his though. Everybody at RFK was yelling "9-0!" It was the only game I ever saw at RFK.

I was just 10, so the rest is a bit hazy.

I was there too, the Oilers' kicker was Ian Howfield, who was cut soon after. I was sitting end the end zone about 8 seats from where his shanked field goal landed.

does anyone out there in the webworld remember the game in the rain/slush & down

right messy field conditions at RFK on a MONDAY night. COACH ALLEN : EDDIE BROWN

running a punt (i think) back for a TD. he must broken 10 tackles on his way to one of

the greatest highlights of the decade in the 70s. i had the chance of meeting him at

a book signing ( a real nice fellow) & also the game where the CARDS won with TD pass into the endzone & PAT FISCHER (i think) jarred the ball loose & the REFS said

that the receiver had the ball "long enough" to be a score!!!! can't remember who the

receiver was that was involved. i also remember a game where both teams had 2

back-to-back kick-offs for touchdowns which is very rare!!!!!!! do you all remember

ROY GREENE for the CARDINALS. he was always a "THORN IN THE SIDE OF THE SKINS"

come back with your thoughts..............wayne

Archived