Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Democrats find Iraq alternative elusive

stevenaa

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10328008/

Lots of bristling but still no clear cut solution. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge that this is new terrority. They won't form a hard set formula for success, because the reality is that it would just be conjecture that would have to be implemented to know if it would succeed. So it's easier just to point out "what's going/gone wrong" in their opinion, then to go out on a limb with a solution.

That would be any party and any think tank:

An After Action Review would clean up some of the issues and fix some things for the future. There aren't a lot of scenarios that you could throw out there with any credibility in saving the region.

The people that just want to pull out this second are willing to leave all the contractors that are working on the power/sewage/schools/ports/streets with nobody to protect them? Or do you pull them out also and leave a dirt clod breeding ground again?

In all actuality... that's the position the Dems have taken as far back as the 04 POTUS election. They didn't have a plan for themselves.... just that their plan would be better than Bush's plan. The "Bush is bad" campaign failed miserably. You'd think they'd learn... but there still is no alternative to Bush's plan being presented by the Dems.

Furthermore, and you Left leaners can help me here, do you think it's such a wise idea to have Kerry as the point person for the Iraqi debate? Did you see him out in front of the White House the other day....talking out of the side of his mouth and simply failing to express his "plan" for Iraq? Even the own Dem news mediots rolled their eyes and said..."Kerry flip flopping around and trying not to be tied down to a position again".

Hey...I'm open minded.... if you've got a better plan for America.... one that continues to keep us safe from Islamofacists and keeps the economy humming along like it's doing now..... as well as a plan for getting out of Iraq.... by all means SHARE it. I'm sick of the "our plan is better than Bush's" without ever SHARING their plan. :doh:

Please Note: Any new "plan" for the economy better not include taxing those who make $100K or more a year EVEN MORE.... .for no other reason than because "we can afford to because we're blessed, more fortunate, or whatever other foolish reason you have created for our success" .

I agree we have no alternative, which is part of the reason I have been for staying in Iraq since the beginning. Although Afghanistan seems to have been handled worse, I think we need to stay in both and show them if we can fix freakin Afghanistan, anything is possible. It goes beyond Iraq guys. But the talks of an immediate pullout are overblown, no one has asked for that, some people on the board should admit it.

PS do not try to bring the economy into this, it has nothing to do with Iraq ;)

I agree we have no alternative, which is part of the reason I have been for staying in Iraq since the beginning. Although Afghanistan seems to have been handled worse, I think we need to stay in both and show them if we can fix freakin Afghanistan, anything is possible. It goes beyond Iraq guys. But the talks of an immediate pullout are overblown, no one has asked for that, some people on the board should admit it.

PS do not try to bring the economy into this, it has nothing to do with Iraq ;)

in what way did we handle afghan wrong? what exactly do you know about afghan. the way i see it, the media hasn't said a thing about it, meaning it must be doing great. any sources for problems in afghan?

I am not allowed to post the article, but if you can find it:

Land, Thomas. "Afghan elections do little to soothe international concerns: the outcome of Afghanistan's general elections, the first after more than a quarter century of war, was awaited as TME went to press. The results will affect regional stability throughout the Middle East and Central Asia and the omens are not good.(The Middle East)." The Middle East 361 (Nov 2005): 26(4).

Mostly talks about the opium trade and warlords. Says that their influence has been cut into, but over the past year no progress has been made. The US wants more NATO support but is facing resistance. The UN reports mixed results.

All is not lost though, there are some signs of progress (in the spirit of fairness):

"Asia: Afghanistan - Impressive Progress Keeps Hopes High - Afghanistan Has Many Issues To Resolve, Such As Security, A Poor Infrastructure And Over- reliance On Aid. But When You Consider The Recent Strides That Have Been Made, The Country Has Reason For." The Banker (July 1, 2005)

Fang, Bay, and Silla Brush. "A Work In Progress.(rebuilding Afghanistan)." U.S. News & World Report 139.12 (Oct 3, 2005)

Some interesting stuff in both articles. I am annoyed with the US handling of Afghanistan because we have not done more to help the fledgeling country stand on its own two feet. The government cannot reassert control outside of the capital city, where most reporters are stationed. That has a lot to do with why most people are not concerned with Afghanistan; most reporters will not go into the badlands. Al Queda is still there, so are remnants of the Taliban, and the US military is not doing the same level of stablization as in Iraq. Keep in mind, for the first time in history the majority of the Afghan populace did not chafe under a foreign occupation, so its not like the US does not have the popular goodwill. And the growing disenchantment with the peacekeeping mission there amongst the international community (with Nato giving the US the finger more and more), well things do not look good for our intrepid heroes. So basically, Afghanistan is like Iraq with a lot less insurgents and an equally bad history: to turn it around would be a huge feather in the cap of the US, and yes, George Bush. But it seems we ignored it.

Archived