Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haha.. the Ravens are pissed at us.

Zen-like Todd

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0818/1419533.html

Ravens officials are angered over this week's issue of Newsweek magazine in which Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder criticized the reputation of Baltimore Ravens owner Art Modell.

When asked if there was an owner he modeled himself after, like Modell or the Patriots' Bob Kraft, both of whom have recently won Super Bowls, Snyder told Newsweek, "What model is Art Modell? He owned the team 42 years and won one Super Bowl. The Patriots have proven that when a team is healthy and has chemistry, it can do great things.

"I now firmly believe the coach is where everything starts."

Modell did not attend the team's practice Saturday, but the Ravens were quick to defend their owner and his mark of 27 winning seasons in 41 years. They were astounded that such harsh remarks about success came from Snyder, who has one winning season in three years as an NFL team owner.

"It would be one thing if Art's winning record was being criticized by (former Redskins coach) Joe Gibbs or (Giants owner) Wellington Mara," David Modell, Art's son and team president, told the Baltimore Sun. "But it's not."

There has been a growing rivalry between the two organizations whose home stadiums are separated by about 40 miles. The teams have clashed over promoting in each other's market and the Redskins' big-money hiring of defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis away from the Ravens. But this is believed to be the first time that the feud has gotten personal.

"I don't believe that's an accurate quote because I can't believe anyone of that position could not recognize the contributions over 42 years that Art Modell has made to this league," Ravens coach Brian Billick told the Sun.

Billick also pointed out that Modell has won two NFL championships, with the Ravens capturing Super Bowl XXXV and the Cleveland Browns claiming the 1964 NFL title.

"That's two more championships than he (Snyder) has," Billick told the newspaper. "That's why I believe somehow there's got to be a mistake or a misquote there."

Other Ravens officials, however, see the remarks as status quo for Snyder.

"Working with Art, we understand what first class and respect are all about," said Kevin Byrne, the Ravens' vice president of public and community relations. "Living near Washington, we see the other end of the spectrum."

Oh yea. great guy. Though they shouldn't erase alot of the history mentoned, the taking the team out of Cleveland and the run ins with the city of Baltimore over rent, or the lack there of, shouldn't be ignored. ( he also fleeced the city when they first moved there). If memory serves, didn't Modell fire a shot across Snyder's bow shortly after the hiring of Lewis?

Modell's record is well known. Just because he finally won a super bowl, he's a perfect owner . Ha.

The remark , if uttered that way, was maybe tactless or thoughtless in regards to Modell's feelings. So what. Doesn't make it any less true though.

Forty two years as an owner means nothing. he deserves no respect for that. he deserves no respect just because he's an owner. He has to earn the respect just like anyone and everyone else.

Funny how Modell was the national media's whipping boy until Snyder criticizes him.

And whoo-hoo for Billick coming to defend Modell...his boss. Gee, what a courageous stance.

Having said that, a Redskins-Ravens rivalry is stupid. I was ecstatic watching the Ravens destroy the Giants in the Super Bowl. The Giants didn't belong in that Super Bowl, and the Ravens proved it. Anyone that lays a beating like that on the Midgets, who get so many breaks from the refs and the national media, is great in my book.

One thing, though. Snyder does need to learn to watch his mouth. From some of the strange calls I have seen in games the last ten years, it is clear to me that not every game is reffed on the up and up. We need to have an owner like JKC I, who is aggressive with the other owners when it comes to the refs (he even got refs banned from ever doing Redskins' games) but works well with them on other issues.

I have a feeling that if Snyder continues to rub other owners the wrong way all the time, it will be reflected in more and more calls against us.

I also believe Dan should not talk smack about another owner that has won a SB. I dislike Modell and the crows as much as anyone but he needs to keep his tongue in check a little as far as SB winners go. Modell is a disgrace to owners after leaving Cleveland but he does have a SB win

Their record speaks for itself:

Modell is a fence jumper as an owner. Can you see Big Jack moving the Skins, even during bad times:laugh:

Billick's record speaks for itself. He is supposed to be an offensive genious hired away from D. Green and the Vikings. Everyone knows who the offensive genious was with the Vikes.

D. Green!! Now if Green had only been able to come up with a D, but that's another story..

Billick was lucky to have the GREAT D and Dilfer to manage the O during their @ the SB. Good for them, they won, no argument.

As for Billick's HC abilities, he will rest on his laurel's, get fired and go back into the pile of "considerations" for a HC job when one comes available. One thing the guy can do is, curl his lip.

That, he was born with as a natural............

I had to feel for our football bretheren in Cleveland when that truly disgusting, cold-blooded ******* of an owner Art Modell ripped their hearts out and stomped on them. They don't come any worse than Art Modell. The fact that he has a Super Bowl trophy is truly sad. He doesn't deserve it. (IMO Ozzie Newsome was the true genius in building that team) And shame on the old Colts fans in Baltimore that jumped on the Ravens bandwagon. They of all people should know how painful it is to lose one's team. Don't get me wrong there are some nice people in Baltimore and they've got a great aquarium but bandwagon Ravens fans are truly a pathetic lot.

Give me a break. Modell takes shots at Snyder ALL the time. So Snyder rips one back and those guys start whining like a bunch of three-year-olds. If Modell and the Ravens can't take a little dig now and then, then perhaps they shouldn't dish it out.

Cry me a river. :cry:

"Working with Art, we understand what first class and respect are all about," said Kevin Byrne, the Ravens' vice president of public and community relations. "Living near Washington, we see the other end of the spectrum."

What a sick, disgusting quote. Thanks to that "first class" owner, little boys and girls in Cleveland were crying because they didn't understand why they no longer had a football team . First class my ***! :puke:

Originally posted by Henry

Give me a break. Modell takes shots at Snyder ALL the time. So Snyder rips one back and those guys start whining like a bunch of three-year-olds. If Modell and the Ravens can't take a little dig now and then, then perhaps they shouldn't dish it out.

Cry me a river. :cry:

hell yeah!!!!

fuk art modell... snyder shouldn't have to bite his tongue at all... modell always has sh!t to say about the skins so snyder says ONE thing back and gets criticized... give me a break... :puke:

On the one hand, Snyder could have dealt with the (obviously loaded) question more graciously. He had no need in that situation to needle Modell. I thought so when I originally read that quote a few days ago.

OTOH, who TF cares? We're in an organizational rivalry with them purely because of geography, and Modell is hardly above reproach. Modell is in many ways as silly for "defending himself" as Snyder was for making the dig to begin with.

Again, who cares?

Archived