Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins 2006 starting DE (John Abraham?)

bubba9497

I'll ask again ... is the Abraham we're talking about here the one from 2+ years ago who was unquestionably a top pass rusher, or one who "struggles" when even on the field nowadays, plus is reputed to be something of a prima donna? Has anyone here actually watched him play on a regular basis this year?

Geez. For a while there, you couldn't swing a dead cat in a Jets thread without hitting Flowtrain. Now you can't find him with tweezers.

Flow? Brother? :)

Geez. For a while there, you couldn't swing a dead cat in a Jets thread without hitting Flowtrain. Now you can't find him with tweezers.

Flow? Brother? :)

2-10 will do that.

But it might be the thread title. Change it to "LC's Toe" and he will be in here like flies to :pooh:

We'll need to package a lot more than Ramsey.

Probably Ramsey + a 2nd rounder.... coupled with what his salary would have to be, I think it's just too much any way you look at it.

He's not Reggie White or anything, not even close.

but given a chance to work in Williams system.....hmmmmmmm

the 2 jet games I've watched he was still a force

Trade Ramsey for Abrahms? Move Wynn to DT? :)

Would you look at that... bubba and I agree on something.

Pick up Abraham... move Wynn to DT. Solves a lot of problems.

Draft a DE in the 2nd round. Unless Abraham & the Jets agree for too cheap to pass up (doubt it). Even then I would still draft another DE in the 2nd round. The starting DEs are ordinary (at best) going on 32 &33 years old with no heir apparents. Let's get someone working in there to take over instead of waiting for both these guys to bottom out (I shudder the thought).

I think the best thing to do is find a guy that is good maybe someone who is playing behind to superstars at DE and trade Samuals and for this guy and a second rounder. That way we get value and they get a stud for there offensive line. Then we have 2 second round picks we can pick up a good pass rushing DE in the draft with one pick and Pick up an offensive LIneman with the other pick

Theres no sense and rushing out and getting a guy thats gonna break our cap get someone cheap but who is better than what we have. and use the draft to pick up another one.

No more has been veterans. We have learned the hard way, we pay too much for them and they don't do the job that is expected of them. Sometimes players fit well in defenses that make them get the numbers they do. He may not fit in GW's program or feel comfortable in it. Abraham has had injury issues as well. Lets put our money in the future, not the past.

I'll ask again ... is the Abraham we're talking about here the one from 2+ years ago who was unquestionably a top pass rusher, or one who "struggles" when even on the field nowadays, plus is reputed to be something of a prima donna? Has anyone here actually watched him play on a regular basis this year?

Om, to address your question directly, he has played in all the Jets games so far this year (12) and his numbers are down a bit compared to last year where he played in 12 games total. He has 3 less sacks, 4 less Assists and 2 less tackles. Of course, he could be suffering from the loss of Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys in the off season. Ferguson was something of a force on the inside for the Jets last year and pretty much demands a double every play. Without him being there the Jets have had to fill with lesser talents which means teams are free to double Abraham more.

He still has better numbers than both our starting DEs, with more Sacks than our whole starting Defensive Line combined. Does that answer it?

Draft a DE in the 2nd round. Unless Abraham & the Jets agree for too cheap to pass up (doubt it). Even then I would still draft another DE in the 2nd round. The starting DEs are ordinary (at best) going on 32 &33 years old with no heir apparents. Let's get someone working in there to take over instead of waiting for both these guys to bottom out (I shudder the thought).
We should draft Tamba Hali DE from Penn State hes listed as #6 overall on Mel Kipers top 25. http://bwi.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?Player=3875

Robert Mathis would be a great move Abraham would be a bone head move...seriously the Jets are about as good as us evaluating talent I meen only Hall and Thomas remains of our corperate raiding a couple of years back and Hall is on his last legs .

Abraham is getting on in years has injury problems and attitude issues . Mathis could be expensive but the Colts also have to worry about Edge and Reggie Wayne as possible FA, in fact their entire roster will be ripped to sheads given the year they are having right now .

I would love to see us develop a player at this possition maybe get a tweener LB/DE in the draft in the Freeny/Suggs mold or give a long hard look at Chris Clemonds ...

Getting John Abraham would be an excellent choice in free agency. He's one of the top pass rushing DEs in the NFL. I think Michael Strahan, Julius Peppers, and John Abraham are the top three in the league. But something tells me it may prove to be an obstacle to attain him. Plus if we do manage to land him, he won't be #56.

Om, to address your question directly, he has played in all the Jets games so far this year (12) and his numbers are down a bit compared to last year where he played in 12 games total. He has 3 less sacks, 4 less Assists and 2 less tackles. Of course, he could be suffering from the loss of Jason Ferguson to the Cowboys in the off season. Ferguson was something of a force on the inside for the Jets last year and pretty much demands a double every play. Without him being there the Jets have had to fill with lesser talents which means teams are free to double Abraham more.

He still has better numbers than both our starting DEs, with more Sacks than our whole starting Defensive Line combined. Does that answer it?

Yes and no, brother. :)

No doubt his numbers would look good on our stat sheet right about now, assuming it's not at a cap-busting salary figure ... but as we all know, stats are only part of the barometer.

I guess what I was really looking for was an objective assessment from someone who watches the Jets closely on a daily basis, and more specifically has watched his career to date, as to how he "looks" this year as opposed to in his breakout season a couple years ago. Is the fire there? How is he physically? Does he go hard on every play? Are there whispers coming out of the locker room about his attitude? That kind of thing.

The kind of thing, frankly, that it's probaby unfair to ask on a Redskins board.

It's just that I don't suspect I'd get all that objective and/or warm a welcome these days on a Jets board. My guess is objectivity, perspective and humor are in rather short supply at the moment. ;)

Haven't watched him play this year.

The name recognition is certainly there, but based more, for me at least, on what he did a couple years ago than anything he's done recently.

The piece says he's "struggling." That doesn't exactly turn me all warm and fuzzy inside and reaching for my wallet. :)

Anyone watched him closely the last couple years?

Nope, and that's the point, my friend.

In the 2004 playoffs, Abraham was conveniently unable to play against the Chargers in what turned out to be a very close game, and he was also conveniently unable to play against Pittsburgh. He says he was injured, but it's a real big coincidence that his contract talks were going nowhere at the time and Abraham was known to have said, "I have to take care of myself" (translation: I'm about to hit free agency and I don't wanna get a real injury).

My Jets fan buddies aren't happy with him for how he appears to be stringing them along.

I'm not sure I want a guy like this on our team. He reeks of "mercenary" vibes.

Archived