Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins 2006 starting DE (John Abraham?)

bubba9497

per ESPN INSIDER

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors?univLogin02=stateChanged

Abraham on his way out

Dec. 3- Abrahama has struggled this season and it will be difficult for the Jets to offer him a long-term deal. But to use the franchise marker on him again would cost just over $8 million for a one-year tender, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports.

This week, Abraham conceded a long-term deal probably isn't going to happen. "Probably not," he said.

"We're 2-9. If we were winning, it would be easier for them to say, 'Let's write this check for this guy.' But we're not winning, so they could be like, 'Hey, he's not really helping us that much because we're not winning.' It's always going to be something. Hopefully, I'll get it handled. If not, it's just part of the game."

One strategy for the Jets would be to retain the rights to Abraham with the franchise tag and then trade him. Even with a subpar year, Abraham would still have some value, since pass rushers are always at a premium.

It would be nice, but I don't see us being able to afford him.

I think he'll get more $$'s than Kearse... and that is just waaaaay too much money to have wrapped up in one position on the DL, even if we could afford it under the cap.

Haven't watched him play this year.

The name recognition is certainly there, but based more, for me at least, on what he did a couple years ago than anything he's done recently.

The piece says he's "struggling." That doesn't exactly turn me all warm and fuzzy inside and reaching for my wallet. :)

Anyone watched him closely the last couple years?

The name recognition is certainly there, but based more, for me at least, on what he did a couple years ago than anything he's done recently.

The piece says he's "struggling." That doesn't exactly turn me all warm and fuzzy inside and reaching for my wallet. :)

but given a chance to work in Williams system.....hmmmmmmm

the 2 jet games I've watched he was still a force

Trade Ramsey for Abrahms? Move Wynn to DT? :)

If we could get him for a fair price, we certainly could use the help at DE. After passing up on Courtney Brown, whom I didn't really think would pan out anyways, I suppose it's not so bad to give a guy a shot if the price is right. Sad to think how much better our defense could have been if had managed to get Brown in here but that's hindsight for you.

Abraham is one of the top 5 pure pass rushers in the sport. He’s the type of player who could collect 2 or 3 sacks in one game against any left tackle and you wouldn’t even blink with surprise. Only Dwight Freeney is quicker around the corner. He has also developed enough moves so that he isn’t a one-trick pony like when he first came into the league. He’s decent against the run too.

The downside is that he’s been nicked up a lot. He seems to miss 3 or 4 games every season. And he also has been accused of “saving himself” physically for the next big contract. He appears to be a player who will go wherever he can get the most money – the type of player we USED to recruit. Assuming the Jets don’t tender him an offer (a big if) he will probably command at least 14 mill in up front money.

I’m inclined to pass on a player like this. Though it’s difficult to imagine us drafting a player that has anywhere near the potential to disrupt the passing game like AB.

I haven't seen anything from GW's scheme that would lead me to think that it is DE friendly.

Safety or CB friendly, yes. He's had all-stars and playmakers at those positions everywhere he's been. And you could even argue LB.

But DE? I don't see it. Except of course one good rookie year for Kearse.

but given a chance to work in Williams system.....hmmmmmmm

the 2 jet games I've watched he was still a force

Trade Ramsey for Abrahms? Move Wynn to DT? :)

Ive said this deal all year. I think its as good as a done deal. Jets called twice for Ramsey. Its rather good for us Abraham isnt having a great year. The price wont be as steep. Mark this one down on the calander. Moving Wynn to DT is a great move. Gives us depth.

With our trading history, I just don't think we could get Abraham for Ramsey straight up. No front office in their right mind would make that deal. How about a Samuels for Abraham deal. Samuels cap number is going to kill us. We could get OT in second round or lower. I don't know what the cap ramifications of trading Samuels is but a great pass rushing DE is a necessity.

Honestly I don't think we can afford Abraham right now. I liked the way the Skins have done business over the last two years. Washington, Griffin, Raybach and Portis have all been great additions. One out of two years for Brunell, with his 3rd and final year next year. We need to stay away from the highest priced free agents and start building youth through the draft.

i dont think anyone from our team could be traded straight for Abraham, except maybe Taylor. Anyways, i dont want Abraham, there are usual cases that FA DE's dont do that well with newer teams, and I feel Abraham could fall in that boat. Dwight Freeney would prolly have a better chance of working out I feel.

We have a 2nd rounder, and may get another 3rd rounder for Ramsey if he is traded, I say we use those 3 potential picks on a DE in the 2nd round, and guard and receiver in the 3rd round. It is possible and certainly could be smart drafting.

i dont think anyone from our team could be traded straight for Abraham, except maybe Taylor. Anyways, i dont want Abraham, there are usual cases that FA DE's dont do that well with newer teams, and I feel Abraham could fall in that boat. Dwight Freeney would prolly have a better chance of working out I feel.

We have a 2nd rounder, and may get another 3rd rounder for Ramsey if he is traded, I say we use those 3 potential picks on a DE in the 2nd round, and guard and receiver in the 3rd round. It is possible and certainly could be smart drafting.

1st off Abraham is'nt getting a Kearse type deal. 2nd the Jets are gonna unload him they've been unhappy with him recovering from injuries when they've thought he could play especially during the playoff run. He has said if he had a long term contract he would be inclined to take more risk with his injury last year. The Jets have'nt given him a new contract and he's clearly been very unhappy 2 straight years thier. This is a mutual split and its gonna happen. He is'nt gonna command much in return if anything at all. Ramsey could surely get it done but I think even less could...

Archived