Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When is it ok to lie?

Spaceman Spiff

coming from the thread about the speeding ticket, and a convo with missu28, it got me thinking....when is it ok to lie? I'm not advocating lying, but I don't have a problem doing whatever it takes, short of bribery to get out of something like a speeding ticket. However when it comes to parents, co workers, authority figures, I don't think its a good idea...

thats a pretty conscise take, but I know we have a lot of members on this board with strong opinions, so lets hear em.

When you are in the store at FedEx Field and you are looking (gawking) at the cheerleaders who are signing autographs over by the hat section....

....and your wife comes over and asks you if you are staring at the cheerleaders "assets"?

...it's okay to say "no, I just need a new hat" :)

It's OK to lie at all times. To paraphrase a quote from Chris Rock:

"Men tell the most lies, women tell the biggest lies. Look at all you women lying. You wear makeup - your face doesn't look like that! You wear heels - you aren't that tall! You wear a Wonder-Bra - your bitties aren't that big!"

There are definitly times that "NOT" lieing would be wrong.

Like a guy with a bloody knife in his hand asking where some little kid ran off to.

I know that's an extreme example, but it proves a point.

But for the most part, lieing is wrong.

What about if you're wife asks you "Do I look fat?"

If you're going out on a date, don't say "Yes". That would be a jerk.

But on the other hand, ladies don't put your man in that position and then get pissed at him for lieing.

And that statement covers a lot more than that question, because immature women will set up a man like that.

What about if you're wife asks you "Do I look fat?"

If you're going out on a date, don't say "Yes". That would be a jerk.

But on the other hand, ladies don't put your man in that position and then get pissed at him for lieing.

And that statement covers a lot more than that question, because immature women will set up a man like that.

Yeah, but if you answer "Yes" it might help motivating her on getting to the gym. ;)

I'll go against the common grain...I believe lying is wrong for any reason, even so-called "white-lies" or "Half-truths".

If you lie then you're a liar. To me its that simple.

Websters definition of Liar : one that tells lies.

It only takes one.

A doctor that gives me a placebo is okay in my book if it works.

Outside of that, it's hard to think of when a lie is a good thing. There are however varying degrees of bad on this one. Some of them I wouldn't lose much sleep over.

It is never o.k. to lie.

It is o.k. to not volunteer the truth in situations that call for tact, however.

your lying :silly:

I'll go against the common grain...I believe lying is wrong for any reason, even so-called "white-lies" or "Half-truths".

If you lie then you're a liar. To me its that simple.

Websters definition of Liar : one that tells lies.

It only takes one.

So are you :silly:

We all lie....daily probably....just start paying more attention to what you say to people....

The problem with lying is that it creates options for wrong behavior. example: I can do this and if I get "found out" I'll just lie.

Make a rule for yourself. I will not lie under any circumstances. To err is human, to lie is practically unforgivable. Don't believe me, ask a woman.

Law enforcement Officers are trained observers, to think that you could lie to one is flawed logic. The best thing to say when pulled over is, I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention, and I don't usually drive this poorly.

We gotta define "lie"

Is embellishing lying? Is a half truth a lie? Or is lying just blatantly saying something that is completely false

I'll have to come back to this thread when I have my philosophical hat on and see a few other responses

Not hard to define. A lie is anything that either misstates the truth directly, or conceals part of it with the intent of influencing the listener away from the whole truth.

With that said, yes, lies are acceptable or even appropriate. If an ugly aquaintance of yours is getting dressed up for a big night out and asks you how they look, do you tell them, "As ugly as usual!"? That would be stupid and actually mean.

Most lies, however, aren't told to be kind. Instead, they're told to try to keep our arses out of hot water by avoiding the consequences for our actions. So the simple fact is that most lies are simply not acceptable.

Archived