Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis vs Rock (merged)

herrmag

Okay, let me preface this by saying that Portis is OBVIOUSLY the superior back.

That being said, did you notice that Portis does not like to explode through the line the way Rock does? Portis seems to sort of dance a bit, and shift from side to side before hitting a hole. Granted, he can juke and make people miss. However, with the state of our offensive line, don't you think lowering your shoulder and exploding through the line would serve Portis better? I realize he scored his TD on the pitch out, and obviously that is when his real skills are evident. A couple of us were discussing this during the game today.

Oh, and before the "you're a Portis hater" types come out and flame me, Portis had a big, big day, and I'm very happy he is on the 'Skins.

EDIT: Crap, I just read the "Rock should be our 3rd down back" thread. Kind of covers this :doh:

Not sure what the point of this thread is if you aren't suggesting Rock is the better back...

I like Rock, I've said it numerous times...

But to even begin to fathom that he's better than Portis is asinine.

Portis was hitting the holes just as hard as Rock did. It had alot to do with the defense they were going against as well as their running skills.

Not sure what the point of this thread is if you aren't suggesting Rock is the better back...

I like Rock, I've said it numerous times...

But to even begin to fathom that he's better than Portis is asinine.

Portis was hitting the holes just as hard as Rock did. It had alot to do with the defense they were going against as well as their running skills.

Here's my point: Portis doesn't just lower his head and hit the holes the way Rock does.

AS for stating why I said "Rock is not the better back"; HE'S NOT. He doesn't have the physical tools that Portis does. However, given the fact that we DON'T have a great offensive line, perhaps Portis lowering his shoulder and running full speed through the gaps would be better served. Watch his feet when he gets the ball. And I'm not talking about on plays where we are running zone blocking and he is supposed to be paitent.

OK its like this:

This is Rock, good speed, low to the ground, changes directions well. Overall good

BMW_Z4M_sp.jpg

This is Clinton Portis, all around awesome, better than the rest. Faster than Rock, more proven aswell.

1969_Ford_Mustang_Boss_429_black_fsv_KRM.sized.jpg

I hope that clear it up a bit :D

I still love the rock more cause he's an underdog :D

Okay, let me preface this by saying that Portis is OBVIOUSLY the superior back.

That being said, did you notice that Portis does not like to explode through the line the way Rock does? Portis seems to sort of dance a bit, and shift from side to side before hitting a hole. Granted, he can juke and make people miss. However, with the state of our offensive line, don't you think lowering your shoulder and exploding through the line would serve Portis better? I realize he scored his TD on the pitch out, and obviously that is when his real skills are evident. A couple of us were discussing this during the game today.

Oh, and before the "you're a Portis hater" types come out and flame me, Portis had a big, big day, and I'm very happy he is on the 'Skins.

EDIT: Crap, I just read the "Rock should be our 3rd down back" thread. Kind of covers this :doh:

Exactly !!! I have said this numerous times and it was on display again today. You wann run a miss-direction play, screen pass, or sweep....CP is your man. You want to run off tackle or up the gut.....Rock all day long.

Exactly !!! I have said this numerous times and it was on display again today. You wann run a miss-direction play, screen pass, or sweep....CP is your man. You want to run off tackle or up the gut.....Rock all day long.

Then you run into the issue of teams knowing what plays you're running when that back is in the game. Can't do that.

But WHY doesn't Portis do that? I understand that Rock/Betts are that type of runner, and that's fine. But if we're running the ball up the gut, shouldn't Portis, just for those types of plays, lower his shoulder and go full steam ahead?

And KDawg, you're absolutely right about teams knowing what we're going to run if we have each back run only certain types of plays.

Rock had a great day and I was happy to see it, but Portis is just more gifted and this shouldn't even be a conversation. I think Portis just needs to step it up I don't know if maturation or what has to happen but he has shown he can be great he just now needs to be? Does that make sense?

Yeah, and the two fumbles Portis had a few weeks ago that cost us the game were nothing, right?? :doh: :doh: :doh:

Not to mention Betts fumbling in Dallas which everyone would have remembered if it werent for Moss, Portis in Denver (attributed to Brunell, not really though), Portis against the Bears that we almost lost in our territory, Brunell in Kansas City TWICE, technically in Denver once, against Philadelphia, Oakland, San Diego, and twice at Tampa Bay.

Fumbles this year:

Portis: 2

Brunell: 8

Betts: 1

Rock: 1

He fumbles once and everyone hates him. You guys must all want Brunell fired eh? The 1 time he fumbles it leads directly to a win...then again the KC game wouldnt have been close had it not been for Brunell fumbling twice. The Denver game could be argued as lost because of that fumble on the opening drive which should count on both Portis and Brunell, the Bucs game can be placed DIRECTLY on Brunell single handedly turning the ball over 4 TIMES. Oakland and SD just the same, and today could have been a disaster thanks to Brunell again if the ball didnt luckily roll out of the endzone for a safety.

So stop falling back on "oh Rock is allright but I hate him cause he lost us a game." If you hate him for fumbling then why arent we all calling for Brunell to be benched after 8 fumbles and 5 interceptions in a Joe Gibbs "dont turn the ball over" offense? Complain all you want about Rock but every play on offense runs through the steady hands of the teams #1 fumbler and #1 pick thrower. How bout dropping the whole Rock lost us a game BS.

Then you run into the issue of teams knowing what plays you're running when that back is in the game. Can't do that.

I'm sure there are plenty of plays drawn up in Gibbs play book with 2 backs set, with the def. seeing this it sure would clear up some of that double and triple coverage brunell was throwing into to get the ball to moss...

I should've known this would turn into a Rock isn't better than Portis thread. That was never the point, but live and learn. :)

What IS the point of this thread, then??...I mean, are you THAT surprised people would think a thread titled "Portis VS. Rock" would turn into a discussion saying "Rock isn't better than Portis"??

For the record, in the last four games Portis has run:

459 yds

4.54ypc

3 tds

My guess would be that he probably doesn't need to change his running style all that much... ;)

What IS the point of this thread, then??...I mean, are you THAT surprised people would think a thread titled "Portis VS. Rock" would turn into a discussion saying "Rock isn't better than Portis"??

For the record, in the last four games Portis has run:

459 yds

4.54ypc

3 tds

My guess would be that he probably doesn't need to change his running style all that much... ;)

Read my initial post. The concept isn't really that hard to grasp if you actually read it. It's about Portis's running style on certain plays.

OK its like this:

This is Rock, good speed, low to the ground, changes directions well. Overall good

BMW_Z4M_sp.jpg

This is Clinton Portis, all around awesome, better than the rest. Faster than Rock, more proven aswell.

1969_Ford_Mustang_Boss_429_black_fsv_KRM.sized.jpg

I hope that clear it up a bit :D

I still love the rock more cause he's an underdog :D

I like this illustration. Both have their strengths. But CP is the better back. CP would have never gotten "caught"

Archived