Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We ran Zone Blocking schemes vs the Rams and look where it got us.

Walking Deadman

2 100 yard backs today.........

This was Joe Gibbs football (in that we ran the ball), but Clinton Portis style run attack. Zone blocking and cut backs.

Did you notice how Clinton and Rock found the cutback lanes and took full advantage. Add the fact that the young Rams D struggle at tacking and we run on them all day.

I hope the coaches remember this.

Also.....cheers to the "Dirtbags" today. I was their best O-line performance all season. Keep it up fellas :cheers:

Redskins have been running most of those same plays all year. The Rams are just undisciplined on defense and are poor tacklers. This allowed some huge gains.

The pitches were a nice new touch though. I was wondering when those were going to start showing up.

The Rams, not including today, allow 128.1 rushing yars per game, 5th to last in the NFL. They are definitely not a good run defense, but still, it's not like everyone runs for 200 yards on them. It's definitely a good sign, but don't expect the same kind of numbers when we play the Giants or the Cowboys.

Redskins have been running most of those same plays all year. The Rams are just undisciplined on defense and are poor tacklers. This allowed some huge gains.

The pitches were a nice new touch though. I was wondering when those were going to start showing up.

Well, I think it was a combo of things today:

1. More "zone" calls and pitch/toss plays and less of the "oldschool" plays (counter trey, multiple pull plays, up the gut on every call plays), although I did see counter trey atleast once today (loss of 2 yards :( ).

2. We executed today.....CP and Rock made quick decisions, hit the holes low and quick and took adavntage of poor tackles (not as many "trips" by CP or rock) and both protected the ball very well. The O-line pushed guys back and kept them from touching the RBs (example Portis' 1st TD-- did any Ram touch him at all?) and kept penalties down enough (still something to improve upon).

3. Rams are a weak D.....yeah it's true, but we took advantage of it for a change (unlike the Raiders game :mad: ). Again we executed. And the Rams couldn't stop us.

I agree, that we saw a more balanced mix of zone blocking and counter pulling plays. I think we had gotten away for that. I like the strech play its a lot quicker hitting than the counter plays. The counter plays are more physical smashmouth but seem to develop so slowly. Against the speed on defense today they seem to get to congested. I want to see a good mix of both styles.

Still didn't see much up tempo in the passing game. Still a lot of slow developing plays with the roll outs and the heavy protection schemes, Moss dragging all the way across the field, ect. Except for the Wr. screens nothing is very quick. Havent seen a quick slant in I don't know how long. Again I would like to see a balance between quick plays and the slow developing power stuff.

Well, I think it was a combo of things today:

1. More "zone" calls and pitch/toss plays and less of the "oldschool" plays (counter trey, multiple pull plays, up the gut on every call plays), although I did see counter trey atleast once today (loss of 2 yards :( ).

2. We executed today.....CP and Rock made quick decisions, hit the holes low and quick and took adavntage of poor tackles (not as many "trips" by CP or rock) and both protected the ball very well. The O-line pushed guys back and kept them from touching the RBs (example Portis' 1st TD-- did any Ram touch him at all?) and kept penalties down enough (still something to improve upon).

3. Rams are a weak D.....yeah it's true, but we took advantage of it for a change (unlike the Raiders game :mad: ). Again we executed. And the Rams couldn't stop us.

Great insight. I'm hoping we execute those plays again against the Cards. Zone blocking + Portis = TD Redskins!!!

It's nice to see hour home-run hitter---hit home runs!

Archived