Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gotta Give It Up To Marvin Lewis & Tom Coughlin

bulldog

Both Marvin Lewis and Tom Coughlin came aboard programs that were in transition, needing to develop an indentity and rebuild a stock of talent and depth to compete again in the NFL at a high level.

Whatever the alchemy involved in setting team chemistry both coaches deserve a great amount of credit for getting their teams to come together at the same time new pieces to the puzzle have been added by the front office.

Neither team is perfect and I would expect both to be another year away from being Super Bowl teams (especially the Bengals facing the Colts and Broncos in a tough AFC), but their rebound from being last place clubs to playoff contenders with steady improvement has been an achievement.

One definite factor has been the commitment of both coaches to starting off their programs with the development of a young franchise quarterback. Lewis drafted Carson Palmer and let him sit for an entire year while Jon Kitna helped the Bengals to improve to 8-8. Coughlin likewise drafted Eli Manning while allowing Kurt Warner to play the first 8-10 games of 2004.

If Gibbs does return to the Redskins in 2006 one hope we have is that the investment in Jason Campell down the road pays the same type of dividends as these other teams are reaping now and Gibbs' commitment to stay with Mark Brunell for 2005 while Campbell learns will be remembered as a key decision in that improvement.

Marvin Lewis especially, he will be a great NFL coach for years to come. He really knows how to coach these young guys they got every single move he has made for his team has paid off perfectly I cant think of a single mistake of his. Anyone else watching the Bengals game? This is a whole new team, will be good for a while.

Thank god their in the AFC :D

what is remarkable about the Bengals is the discipline and execution of their offense despite the relative youth of the skill players. all of these guys are under 30 and yet you don't see the penalties, drops and mental mistakes that you see here with a Taylor Jacobs or Robert Royal.

what is remarkable about the Bengals is the discipline and execution of their offense despite the relative youth of the skill players. all of these guys are under 30 and yet you don't see the penalties, drops and mental mistakes that you see here with a Taylor Jacobs or Robert Royal.

I agree with you on most things, but how does Taylor Jacobs figure in the "penalties, driops and mental mistakes" part?

I dont think he has more then 1 penalty for the last 2 weeks he has started, and I cant think of any drops... and for mental mistakes, I dont know if you know since your not in the film room or discussing it with coaches.

Taylor showed some of the reasons why we drafted him in the second round a few years back, last week, and hopefully he can keep on performing...

Bulldog, I'm with you 100%. Those guys really have delivered, which is more than can be said for some big-named former coaches and hot offensive/defensive coordinators who have assumed head coaching posts recently.

Look at what Lewis has done in Cincinnati. It borders on miraculous, seriously. They've made VERY wise, solid personnel decisions via the draft and free agency. They have a staff that has the team well prepared for EVERY game. And, they try to put teams away when they've got a lead.

Kudos to Lewis, a guy we should've hired for the Skins instead of Spurrier.

Lewis has a no-nonsense approach to coaching. He doesn't have patience for prima donna players that don't live up to their hype. The few guys they have that do trash talk like Chad Johnson back it up..............

Lewis is truly a pro.

You can tell the players trust that he knows what he is doing and he is constantly coaching during the game, he doesn't act like the CEO of the team

Whenever they have mic'd on an NFL Films feature you see he is constantly coaching, motivating, adjusting and is in the game in all facets

It is too bad Snyder didn't grab him as HC in 2002

hehe-alchemy-hehe :laugh: but yes i agree id take marvin lewis over coughlin or gregg williams anyday but i hate tom coughlin i will deny him any congratulations because he sux :)

wow, insightful info on why Coughlin sucks... genius!!!!

Coughlin took the Jags on the verge of the superbowl the second year they where in the league in the AFC championship game, and has the Giants on top of our division which many will say is the toughest in the NFL, behind a 2nd year QB...

Your turn...

Have to agree former Redskin A Pierce scored on a game deciding Turnover today to beat the pokes.

The Bengals broke out the colts no huddle today and when the steelers were determined to keep C Johnson out of the endzone Palmer threw TDs to other players.

We are a plodding predictable offense and that is what upsets alot of fans

Archived