Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the difficulty of going from a #2 to a #1 WR, underrated?

NoCalMike

We see this every season, a WR has a career year at the #2 spot behind a pro-bowl WR, they sign somewhere else to become THE MAN, and they either fail horribly, or never live up to their billing. Something last week that got me thinking more deeply into this issue, was a post game interview with someone from the Skins, I forgot who it was but they were talking about Taylor Jacobs, and how he had gone from lining up and running the #3 spot routes for his entire career, to suddenly being given a few days of practice to prepare for the #2 spot, and it was a lot to learn, and the guy then pointed out how much more effective he was in his SECOND GAME at the #2 spot because he was more comfortable running those routes.

I know to us as fans, it is as simple as, "learn the play, catch the ball" and I don't want to make excuses but considering how long it takes to get the timing down with a QB, I'd say it is a lot to be thrust into a new role, within a week's time.

:2cents:

I don't know, but I think this is an excellent question. I would tend to liken it to what a guy we took for granted used to do: Raleigh McKenzie. As you know, the footwork for an O lineman is reversed from the left side to the right, and the mechanics for a tackle and a guard, let alone a tackle and a center are different as well. Rallo played all five line spots without missing a beat. But he was the ONLY one who could do it.

I'd guess the WR position is similar...Different routes, cuts, etc. But I think it would be harder for an O lineman. :2cents:

I think this is so true. In the preseason, Brunell has worked with scrubs, well reserve players. He had his timing down with them. So, when he finally got his chance, agianst hte bears and cowboys, he struggled. You could see he had more zip, but they ball was reaching there either too late, or too soon.

The timing was off. But thne came the seahakws game. I still remember Steve Young predicting Brunell to have a good game, and I believe he lit it up(either that or the week after.) This was because of his timing with the new wr's.

I think as he gets time with Jacobs, and Jacobs stays healthy, he can definetly become a good 2nd wr, with his talent. We all saw the guy in college, the man has talent. Maybe he just needed to get healthy( he also hasn't had a good qb throwing to him ever)

a big element of our passing game was / is the ability of Moss AND Patten (while patten was healthy) to keep the defenses true to each other. by that i mean that the defense of other teams can't afford to double cover Moss if Patten is going to get open, at least not for the most part.

i can see this effect starting to happen with Jacobs, since he is proving that he can make catches and get some yardage for us.

and yes, i think rhythm plays a big part in performance on the field.

Archived