Steeler's Game Planning? Almost per Joe White

skinsfanbu

A new article from AP - JoeWhite

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20020817/ap-steelers-redskins.html

Steelers' D gets look at Fun 'N Gun

By JOSEPH WHITE

AP Sports Writer

August 17, 2002

LANDOVER, Md. (AP) -- Like Steve Mariucci and John Fox before him, Bill Cowher knows he's not in for a typical exhibition game when he's coaching against Steve Spurrier. ADVERTISEMENT

Cowher's Pittsburgh Steelers test their vaunted defense against Spurrier's Fun 'N Gun offense with a visit to the Washington Redskins on Sunday night.

The Redskins have scored 75 points in two games, well above last year's four-game total of 46 and on pace to shatter the franchise scoring average for exhibition games.

``We're not going in unaware of the things that they're doing, which is a little bit different than what you're used to seeing,'' Cowher said. ``We've made sure that we've tried to show our players a little bit of some of the things they're doing. We're preparing for the game, but not necessarily game planning.''

Mariucci wasn't thrilled when Spurrier debuted with a 38-7 victory over the 49ers two weeks ago. Last week, the Redskins edged Fox's Panthers 37-30.

Whether it's close or a rout, Spurrier makes no apologies. He's trying to install a passing attack unlike any seen in the NFL before, so he's throwing the ball to get the quarterbacks in sync -- and trying to win to get his team in the right mindset.

``We're trying to establish a habit of playing well,'' Spurrier said. ``Obviously, we're trying to win. Winning's a habit, also.''

There's no letup in the fourth quarter because three quarterbacks are competing for the starting job. Danny Wuerffel, who has played the best in the first two games, gets his first start and will play the first quarter.

Sage Rosenfels takes over in the second quarter, and Shane Matthews will play the second half. First-round draft pick Patrick Ramsey, well behind after a 16-day holdout, might make his debut if the game isn't close in the final minutes.

Otherwise, most starters for both teams are expected to play the entire first half. Pittsburgh's planned quarterback rotation starts with Kordell Stewart, followed by Charlie Batch and Tee Martin.

Steelers linebacker James Farrior, a major offseason addition, will make his first start after spending most of training camp learning the defense. Left tackle Wayne Gandy is out with an ankle injury, prompting a shuffle that puts Oliver Ross at left tackle and Kendall Simmons at right guard.

The Redskins also are rearranging their offensive line, trying to find a cohesive starting five. Ross Tucker and Kipp Vickers are likely to start at guard, with Larry Jones at left tackle in place of Chris Samuels, out with a sprained ankle.

While the focus remains on Spurrier and the offense, the revamped Redskins defense is eager for a test against the Steelers.

``Pittsburgh is known for their physical play,'' Washington defensive end Renaldo Wynn said. ``And we want to be known for our physical play as well.''

HTTR,

Interesting. Pittsburg's starting left tackle is out, too. I wonder if their fans are freaking out as much as some of us are.

While it will be interesting to see how the Steelers prepare defensively after seeing a couple of games on film, it should be most interesting to see how Spurrier prepares and adjusts to one of the best defensive systems in the NFL--one he has not likely seen on the college level.

Great news that Pittsburg is at least doing something to prepare for us. I don't think it will mean too much if we win or loose this game but it cant hurt for our offense to face a great D that is at least going to try to stop us. Couldn't ask for a better pre-season. Next we have Tampa and New England. What better way to tune up for the real thing?

Originally posted by Mad Mike

Great news that Pittsburg is at least doing something to prepare for us. I don't think it will mean too much if we win or loose this game but it cant hurt for our offense to face a great D that is at least going to try to stop us. Couldn't ask for a better pre-season. Next we have Tampa and New England. What better way to tune up for the real thing?

Exactly. I hope we do really well, but I hope our offense is tested a little. It will only make them better.

Hey Code. Just noticed you live in Hampton. I used to live there. Worked for a company called Sign City across from the mall (gone now I'm sure) and did a lot of work for Langley AFB. I even got to do some work for NASA and walk around inside one of the wind tunnels. I miss that place. Every day was an air show. Nothing prettier than a flight of F15s one by one breaking formation to land.:thumbsup:

Daytona Beach isn't bad though; The 500, Bike Week, Turky Rod Run (huge car show), Spring Break...

What ND said - "No injuries", for either team!

I have looked forward to this game as a truer test of what to expect from our O. Too bad Chris won't be in against the Steelers 1st string D. Maybe SS will get an indicator of his OL's strength and weakness. I hope our OL is as pleasant a surprise as it was the first year of Brad Johnson. I can remember us wringing our hands, well you guys/gals know the rest:laugh:

HTTR!

Archived