Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Meaningful Games in December

skins fan1010

http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/12/meaningful-redskins-games-post-1130.html

Excerpts:

Okay, Redskins fans. This is it: This weekend is the beginning of a string of meaningful games in December and January. This is why Dan Snyder and Redskins fans wanted Joe Gibbs back at the helm...

...Many fans might not remember that when they were 3 – 8 at this time last year, a win in the next week against the Giants meant that they controlled their playoff fate. That’s right; after the Redskins beat the Giants last year in the twelfth game, they controlled their playoff fate at 4 - 8. If they had run the table, they were guaranteed a playoff spot...

...Notice that if the Redskins are 7 - 6 and Dallas and New Jersey are 8 - 5 after thirteen games as I expect, the Redskins will once again control their playoff destiny. A sweep of their final three at that point will guarantee the division title because of head-to-head tiebreakers...

Read the whole thing at http://countertrey.blogspot.com/2005/12/meaningful-redskins-games-post-1130.html

I, for one, have noticed the small improvement. We ARE playing meaningful games in December. They might not amount to much or work in our favor, but we're playing them.

You have to enjoy that.

What I would LOVE is to win a couple road games and give ourselves a 3 week round-robin within our division. If we come home at 7-6 to face the Cowboys, that's as meaningful as it gets in mid-December.

Our next step as a team is to play meaningless games in December (be 12-1 or something and have some things locked up), but I believe we're pretty far from that point!

We win these next 2, the last 3 games are VERY meaningful

This thing hasn't slipped yet and this team, if it can get out of its own way, has the ability to run the table

The question is, do these guys stop the nonsense, execute and get some key 4th quarter first downs?

We will find out on Sunday

I can't help but chuckle a little bit when I read your post about us being 3-8 and having our playoff destiny in our own hands. Playing meaningful games in December. :laugh: I remember being there last year saying "yep, we'll run the table and get in!" We find ourselves here yet again......so this year:

Yep, Rams this week. Let's get a win!! :applause:

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

As bad as it has been the last decade or so, it's nice to have games in December mean something. Joe understand to be successful, you must beat your divisional opponents, not the other guys. So far, we are 2-1. In the past, we were always 0 and whatever.

Does anyone know our record in the past few Nov and Dec's?

Peachhaze, the sad thing is, we can wind up this year with a 5-1 divisional record and a 6-2 home record and still not make the playoffs. The "playing of meaningful games in December" really doesn't mean squat. The majority of the league is still playing games that you could extrapolate somehow is meaningful. That number of teams will decrease over the course of the next two weeks......will the Redskins be left standing?

Based on your logic, the Texans were playing meaningful games in September. They controlled their own destiny. All they had to do was win the rest of their games and they would have been guaranteed a playoff spot.

Not much different the redkins now.

Good point. However, the big difference is, we're in December now, not September. And it's not really based on anyone's logic, by definition, if you can win out and win your division or make the playoffs, you control your own destiny. That's all it means. It doesn't mean it's likely or realistic.

Therefore, until Houston lost their 9th game, they DID control their own destiny. However, there's a reason people don't throw that phrase around until December...

Peachhaze, the sad thing is, we can wind up this year with a 5-1 divisional record and a 6-2 home record and still not make the playoffs. The "playing of meaningful games in December" really doesn't mean squat. The majority of the league is still playing games that you could extrapolate somehow is meaningful. That number of teams will decrease over the course of the next two weeks......will the Redskins be left standing?

I think what most people are trying to point out here is that we've taken a step, small as it may be.

Under Spurrier, we didn't play one game in December that had any playoff implications for ourselves. This season, our December games still have a chance to mean something, that's all.

Like I mentioned elsewhere, the goal is to ultimately make December games meaningless, just in the opposite way (like Indy has).

Maybe next year, we'll be playing meaningful games in December and be in a better position. Hell, if we win a couple in a row this season, we could be playing Dallas at home with that game looking much more important than it does today.

Good point. However, the big difference is, we're in December now, not September. And it's not really based on anyone's logic, by definition, if you can win out and win your division or make the playoffs, you control your own destiny. That's all it means. It doesn't mean it's likely or realistic.

Therefore, until Houston lost their 9th game, they DID control their own destiny. However, there's a reason people don't throw that phrase around until December...

The point is that it is way to early to use the phrase "Win out and control your own destiny." The texans could have used that phrase last month.

All but a few of the teams in the NFC can use that same phrase at this moment. The eagles who also have a loosing record could win out and finish 10-6. The lions could win out and finish 9-7. Granted the skins play the teams that need to lose for them to "control their own destiny," its not the correct use of the phrase.

If the Cowboys win the next two games and have a two game lead on the Giants with three games to play, they will "control their own destiny." While technically you can say that the Cowboys control their own destiny this week, its not how the phrase is supposed to be used. To say it now, would be the same as saying it at the begining of the season. "If we win the first 15 games this year, we will control our own destiny."

Heading into this week, it is true that the redskins could win all of their remaining games and not make the playoffs. This is a fact. That does not allow them to control their own destiny.

I dont have time to research the tie-breaker possiblities with the giants - skins, but I'm pretty sure the only thing the redskins would be technically assured of by winning their final 5 games is to finish third and not dead last in the NFC east.

At 7-4, the Cowboys are playing meaningful games in December. A win against a division team tommorrow puts them only two games up with four games left to play. I for one am wishing that the redskins will finish the season 4-1. That would be great.

Based on your logic, the Texans were playing meaningful games in September. They controlled their own destiny. All they had to do was win the rest of their games and they would have been guaranteed a playoff spot.

Not much different the redkins now.

Dude, check the stats. The Cowbells would be fighting for a WC spot of not for the turnover ratio! I think there must be somthing wrong with the part of the brain that detects common sense in Dallas fans! LOL Just a joke man, my brother is a Dallas fan........................so I speak from experience! LOL

:dallasuck

Dude, check the stats. The Cowbells would be fighting for a WC spot of not for the turnover ratio! I think there must be somthing wrong with the part of the brain that detects common sense in Dallas fans! LOL Just a joke man, my brother is a Dallas fan........................so I speak from experience! LOL

:dallasuck

If it weren't for 3 miracle plays, the Redskins would be in the Reggie Bush bowl.

If it weren't for 3 miracle plays, the Redskins would be in the Reggie Bush bowl.

What we did to you on Monday night was skill, we burned your secondary twice!! We also beat the best Defense in the NFL, the Bears!! Which I believe will be in the Super Bowl this year!! ;) Watch out, the Redskins will end the Dallas playoffs this year. MARK MY WORDS!!!

What we did to you on Monday night was skill, we burned your secondary twice!! We also beat the best Defense in the NFL, the Bears!! Which I believe will be in the Super Bowl this year!! ;) Watch out, the Redskins will end the Dallas playoffs this year. MARK MY WORDS!!!

Yea, I remember that game. The Cowboys had dominated but only put 13 points on the board because of offensive mistakes, missed field goal and had even inserted their rookie rb in the game to get some snaps.

The redskins had looked aweful in the first 54 mintues of the game only managing to pick up 144 yards total offense. The fans, the announcers and the defense had fallen asleep. You would have thought that would have been a good lesson, but we lost 2 more the same way.

Yea, and I also had to screw back on the champaign top when the rookie kyle orten threw that int in the end zone while the bears where in field goal range only down by two points. Dont even mention the replay of that seahawks kick hitting the goalpost.

If you guys hadn't sold you soul and or made some defenses fall asleep with you horrible offense, you would be 2-9, printing up "Bush" jerserys for april.

Yea, and I also had to screw back on the champaign top when the rookie kyle orten threw that int in the end zone while the bears where in field goal range only down by two points. Dont even mention the replay of that seahawks kick hitting the goalpost.

If you guys hadn't sold you soul and or made some defenses fall asleep with you horrible offense, you would be 2-9, printing up "Bush" jerserys for april.

I don't exactly call them "miracle plays" my man. A rookie QB in his first game being forced into an INT against a good defense is not a miracle. A missed 45 yard FG is not a miracle. If you want to point to those plays, point to the plays that made those games close. We gave Chicago their only TD that game by fumbling a KO in the red zone. That is more uncommon than a rookie tossing an INT. We gave Seattle that FG opportunity on a tipped-pass INT.

We also lost games by inches and close calls too, so let's not act like the Redskins are at the Texans' or 49ers' level this year...

There is not much point in trying to have a logical discussion with someone who doesn't even understand the difference between meaningful games is December and meaningful games in September.

Let alone someone who thinks the Lions control their own destiny at 4-7 and 2-7 in the NFC.

Redskins and lions both control their own playoff destiny about the same amount. My point. Both have to win all of their games against better teams and have other teams lose to other teams to have a shot.

Meaningful games in september dont exist, meaningful games for the redskins this december dont exist. (see above) My point.

REDSKINS CAN WIN ALL FIVE GAMES REMAINING AND NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. It is a fact! It would take a series of upsets to get the redskins sniffing the playoffs. That is not controlling your own destiny and playing meaningful games. It is more precise to say that you are happy to be playing games in december when are not mathmatically eliminated.

Dont be so quick to say that someone else doesn't understand.

REDSKINS CAN WIN ALL FIVE GAMES REMAINING AND NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. It is a fact! It would take a series of upsets to get the redskins sniffing the playoffs. That is not controlling your own destiny and playing meaningful games. It is more precise to say that you are happy to be playing games in december when are not mathmatically eliminated.

I see your main point. I get it.

But don't ruin it by stating that if the Skins win out, it would take a "series of upsets to get the Redskins sniffing the playoffs"...that simply isn't true.

If the Skins win out, they'll be 10-6. The Cowboys and Giants would then only be able to lose one more game (one of them is guaranteed to have the second loss tomorrow). Therefore, it's not ridiculous to think that IF the Redskins win out, they have a very good shot at the division/playoffs.

Archived