Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do you guys think Portis is so awesome?

Sherlock Holmes

Having not seen too much of him last year, when i downloaded SKINFANATICS portis highlights video, i really did think we had a great runningback. But face it. Apart from against a dire niners team, CP hasnt broken a run. I mean a REAL run. And i knw your thinking ' whats this kid on about??doesnt he realise our offensive line is pretty poor?' but a good rb shouldnt have to have all his holes made for him.

Could we PLEASE stop being simple-minded and blind blaming the individuals for their performance alone?? Seriously. We blame Brunell for fumbles as if our O-line doesn't break down and let defenders hit him from behind ALL the time. Now we blame Portis for not putting up SUPER numbers(7th in the league doesn't mean much I guess), instead of blaming our O-line for not giving him the blocks. Or we don't blame our coaches for trying to run him up the middle time and time again.

You said aside for the SF game Portis has done nothing. Please look at the Tampa game, which he put up 144 yards against the #1 defense in the league and started the game with a 31-yard run up the left sideline.

If our plays would allow him to run up the sides like he SHOULD be and not the middle all of the time, he would be much more effective.

Please know all of the facts before blaming an individual.

Let's see, no offensive line, marginal qb and 1 good receiver.

I think taking that into consideration, what Clinton Portis has done this year, let alone last year when we had no offensive line, horrible qb and no receivers and he still had a 1300 yard season, speaks volumes about how good a talent he is.

Why do I think Portis is Awesome? Let me count the ways:

1) He has 2 consecutive 1000 yard season in Washington.

2) He is exceptional in pass protection.

3) He replaced Trung Candidate.

4) He made a game saving tackle after a Brunell fumble.

5) He's made some incredible receptions.

6) He keeps the team's mood light.

7) He, wisely, bumped a backward lateral out of bounds.

8) He is averaging over 4.0 yards a carry.

9) Joe Gibbs likes the guy.

By the way, Mark Brunell is good, too. He is a top ten rated passer.

No he isn't. He is ranked #11 in QB's who have played in 11 games and 14th among players with 7+ starts. And these rankings don't consider the countless fumbles. And don't say its all the lines fault for the lost fumbles Bulger, Green, and Bledsoe have been sacked more times than Brunell with fewer lost fumbles and higher QB ratings

why are people always looking for the big run to define a running back? i could care less if he breaks for a 40+ yarders, i want first downs, look at edgerrin james, the guy only has 3 seasons with a carry over 40, yet he is consistantly one of the best backs in the league, stop looking for spectactular plays and just hope for consistantcy

portis is #9 in rushing, is gonna have another 1000 yard season (he managed 1300 in 15 games last year when our rush offense was considered to be horrendous), and is a great blocker for his size and being a speed back, not to mention he is only 24 and can only get better

Why do I think Portis is Awesome? Let me count the ways:

1) He has 2 consecutive 1000 yard season in Washington.

2) He is exceptional in pass protection.

3) He replaced Trung Candidate.

4) He made a game saving tackle after a Brunell fumble.

5) He's made some incredible receptions.

6) He keeps the team's mood light.

7) He, wisely, bumped a backward lateral out of bounds.

8) He is averaging over 4.0 yards a carry.

9) Joe Gibbs likes the guy.

:applause: :cheers: Glad you wrote it...I can simply say, I AGREE

Having not seen too much of him last year, when i downloaded SKINFANATICS portis highlights video, i really did think we had a great runningback. But face it. Apart from against a dire niners team, CP hasnt broken a run. I mean a REAL run. And i knw your thinking ' whats this kid on about??doesnt he realise our offensive line is pretty poor?' but a good rb shouldnt have to have all his holes made for him.

Haha...Ok, tell Priest Holmes, Shaun Alexander, Julius Jones, Edgerin James, Carnell Williams, Ahman Green, and Tiki Barber, ect that you dont need a big hole, good running backs go through big holes and create from there only the special ones like L.T and company can make their own holes and actually do somthing with it.

Portis is a great teammate has great hands and is a solid runner as well as THE best pass blocking running back in the league. If we traded him or released him for some odd reason the Chemistry of our team would go from 7 to about 4 for about 4 maybe 5 games.

Could we PLEASE stop being simple-minded and blind blaming the individuals for their performance alone?? Seriously. We blame Brunell for fumbles as if our O-line doesn't break down and let defenders hit him from behind ALL the time. Now we blame Portis for not putting up SUPER numbers(7th in the league doesn't mean much I guess), instead of blaming our O-line for not giving him the blocks. Or we don't blame our coaches for trying to run him up the middle time and time again.

You said aside for the SF game Portis has done nothing. Please look at the Tampa game, which he put up 144 yards against the #1 defense in the league and started the game with a 31-yard run up the left sideline.

If our plays would allow him to run up the sides like he SHOULD be and not the middle all of the time, he would be much more effective.

Please know all of the facts before blaming an individual.

A valiant effort En, but like so many other pleas for reason and effort in thought, it will fall on deaf fingers :D

I'm with Enforcer on this one. Our blocking schemes have got to change even more for Clinton Portis' style. However, I'd like to point out 2 things about him and about Brunell.

1. I believe the weight that CP added in the offseason is a problem for him. It's taking him a while to get use to it when he cuts or bounces off a defender. This "stumble" that he's developed is because he's heavier but cutting as though he was the same weight as before. He's getting better at it. I think his legs are catching up with the weight now.

2. I think Mark Brunell is a fantastic passer and has great legs. The only part of his game I do not like is the way he hands off the ball. He doesn't seem like a QB who delivers a clean handoff. He also doesn't try to conceal the ball on play-action or misdirection plays. It could be part of why it seems like the opposing defense is able to get the jump on Portis before he gets to the outside on plays designed for it. I could also be why we've had some embarrassing fumbles on handoffs the last 2 years.

I'm happy with both players, even next year. But things can be done to ensure a cleaner run attack from the snap.

I'm with Enforcer on this one. Our blocking schemes have got to change even more for Clinton Portis' style. However, I'd like to point out 2 things about him and about Brunell.

1. I believe the weight that CP added in the offseason is a problem for him. It's taking him a while to get use to it when he cuts or bounces off a defender. This "stumble" that he's developed is because he's heavier but cutting as though he was the same weight as before. He's getting better at it. I think his legs are catching up with the weight now.

2. I think Mark Brunell is a fantastic passer and has great legs. The only part of his game I do not like is the way he hands off the ball. He doesn't seem like a QB who delivers a clean handoff. He also doesn't try to conceal the ball on play-action or misdirection plays. It could be part of why it seems like the opposing defense is able to get the jump on Portis before he gets to the outside on plays designed for it. I could also be why we've had some embarrassing fumbles on handoffs the last 2 years.

I'm happy with both players, even next year. But things can be done to ensure a cleaner run attack from the snap.

He didn't develop a stumble this year< he had the same thing last year too.

Honestly, the kid is right. Portis is a good but not great back. Great backs put a team on their sholders and win games. They have the vision to find running lanes and the moves to exploit them when the line fails to make designed holes.

In two years Portis has had 2 long runs and 1 breakout game. Other than that it's been a grind fest. Now I've been on record since Spurriers term as saying our line is not as good as advertised. (Considering there is almost no difference in sacks against us between Spurriers supposedly crazy blocking schemes and Gibbs max protect, I would say that opinion is validated.) But like I said, great backs make things happen.

None of this is to say I'm a "hater". Although I'm over Clintons stupid costume act. He is a good back with a lot of upside. Maybe next year we can find a way to REALLY upgrade our O line and he can tear it up again like he did in Denver. Who knows? However, one thing that should be clear by now is that good, if not great running backs, are not that hard to find. Denver has proven that. And if we do need to make a huge opgrade in our line, why do we need to pay Portis when any good back will do?

You see, the problem of rating Portis lies with the money we are paying him and the space he takes on the cap. The bottom line is he is getting paid like LT and he just isn't *that* good.

This is mirrored on the D with Lavar. I love the guy, but is he really worth all of that money? What if you could trade him for a good first round pick and find another up-and-coming guy like Marcus Washington for a reasonable price in FA? Hmmmmm?

Bottom line is value to the team. Does a player have more value to us on the field at his pay and with his cap hit than he does in trade for maybe a little less individual talent at MORE positions?

Just a little something to think about.

Honestly, the kid is right. Portis is a good but not great back. Great backs put a team on their sholders and win games

There are a number of great backs who at a number of times during their carrers were on teams who struggled as much, or more, as the 'skins have since getting CP. So when all those seasons were occurring and those runners were not winning all those lost games, did that make them lesser backs? It's all about context to me, and over a back's whole carrer. CP's stats here and his play w/o the ball, at this stage in his career (4th year) are great (except for TD's) given his surroundings.

P.S. I don't think CP can be put with those guys I'm thinking of yet, but if you look overall at his four years to date in context, he's looking like a great back IMO, not just a good one.

Portis is having a good year. The fact is, he's not getting all those yards he had in Denver, but also, back when Portis was with Denver, he got 4 games a year against Kansas City and San Diego. Those weren't exactly elite defenses back then. Look at our schedule this year, we've played 7 of our 11 games against top ten run defenses:

Denver (1), San Diego (2), Kansas City (5), Chicago (6), NY Giants (7), Tampa Bay (8), Dallas (9). And both Seattle and Philadelphia are in the upper half of the league.

That leaves 2 games against below average run defenses. Those two games, Portis has a 4.7 ypc. These next two games (StL, Ari) are against weak run defenses, expect Portis to come up big.

There are a number of great backs who at a number of times during their carrers were on teams who struggled as much, or more, as the 'skins have since getting CP. So when all those seasons were occurring and those runners were not winning all those lost games, did that make them lesser backs? It's all about context to me, and over a back's whole carrer. CP's stats here and his play w/o the ball, at this stage in his career (4th year) are great (except for TD's) given his surroundings.

P.S. I don't think CP can be put with those guys I'm thinking of yet, but if you look overall at his four years to date in context, he's looking like a great back IMO, not just a good one.

Exactly. I pointed this out in another thread - when the Chargers were losing and were the joke of a franchise, how many games was Tomlinson winning for them by putting them on his back? Not a lot, obviously.

Archived