Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Principal Puts Camera in Bathroom

China

Principal Puts Camera in Bathroom

Reported By: Karyn Greer

Web Editor: Michael King

Last Modified: 12/1/2005 12:59:07 PM

Mack Bedor, an eighth grader at Jasper County Middle School should be with his friends at school, but instead he's making up class work at home.

“He’s got a five-day unwanted vacation. It’ll be on his permanent record that he stole school property. My opinion is that he did the right thing,” said Mack’s mother, Cindy Champion.

Mac is being punished for taking a camera out of the celing of the boys bathroom that is shared by Jasper County Middle and High School students. The high school principal admits to putting the camera there.

“There was tiles up there and it was cut out in a little circle,” Mac said. “It felt like it was the right thing to do because we were being violated in the bathroom, and I just knew I could trust my mom and she would do something about it.”

“That was the interesting part to me that surprised me -- Ms. Massengil, the middle school principal, nor the teachers were aware. No one seemed to be aware besides the principal at the high school,” Champion said. “I had told the high school principal, Mr. Fore, that he needed to come up with another solution -- that this wasn't appropriate. His response to me was he was going to continue to film.”

The Bibb County district attorney says cameras in public bathrooms are legal because schools have more leeway on privacy issues.

Was taking the camera the best option available? No. But it's kids we are talking about here, if they were able to decide for themselves what the best most responsible course of action is in 8th grade they be living on their own at 12 year old.

The school shouldn't have suspended him for going to his mother with this. Going to adults should be encouraged. They also shouldn't have cameras in bathrooms. That is some seriously creepy **** right there. I'd flip out if I went in the bathroom at my office and spotted a camera.

Hmmm, gosh, let me think for a second.

No.

This is incredibly poor judgement. Those responsible should be fired. I'd think this would be illegal in my own home, I can't believe anybody would try to justify this in a public bathroom.

It sounds like this was secreted into the ceiling. Any reasonable justification for hiding it? If the camera is supposed to deter smoking, crime or whatever, make it obvious and place a big sign announcing the camera's presence. That might negate the need to actually turn the camera on, the deterrence might be enough. I can't find any reasonable explanation for secretly filming kids in the bathroom.

The fact that only the principal knw makes it seem like there was something perverted going on. I bet people would be a lot madder if it were a girls bathroom. Either way, I think it's wrong and that the principal should be fired.

We have a winner. There is much more to this. If it was simply there for monitoring behavior, the whole staff would have known if for nothing more than a CYA. That the principal installed in on the sly should be a hugh red flag for the authorities. The kid should have just went to his parents without taking it down. But that doesn't excuse the principals action. I would be bringing a lawsuit if this was my childrens school.

Archived