Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loyal opposition: When and how did you become a fan of your team?

hail2skins

On the main board every so often a thread will be started with the question "How did you become a Redskins fan?" I thought I'd pose the same question to our visitors who are fans of other teams. When and how did you become a fan of your team? Did where you live, who your parents were a fan of, or the team's success at the time have any bearing on your choice to become a fan of that team? Also, which team(s) do you dislike the most and why?

I've been a Seahawk fan since before they were a team. (edit -- I'm originally from the Seattle area.) I was entering high school when the Nordstrom family was awarded the Seattle NFL franchise, and we were stoked! Then there was the name-the-team contest and the pick-the-uniform contest (to this day, I don't know if those were real contests or just gimmicks, but it was loads of fun.) They ended up with what I thought was a cool name and a cool uniform -- much better than the Tampa Bay Bucs in their fugly orange.

Jack Patera was the coach, we got Jim Zorn as QB, Efren Harrera as kicker, and traded an 8th round draft pick for Steve Largent, and from the very beginning, they were a hoot to watch, namely because you could never know what was going to happen next. I've seen them get penalized back to 2nd and 52 and make it, I've seen them send the QB in motion, I've seen them punt on 3rd down, I've seen God-knows-how-many trick plays from field goal formation.

My parents weren't fans of anyone else. Seahawk success was an oxymoron for quite a while, even though they did well for an expansion team. Back then, I really didn't hate any other teams, though eventually I couldn't stand the Broncos. Now, it's the Rams. Good luck against them this weekend, by the way.

I never had a chance. My dad was a guard on his high school football team in Texas when the Cowboys franchise was founded. Then when I was a little kid, and my dad was in the Navy, Roger Staubach (Heisman trophy winner from, you guessed it, Navy) became a Cowboy.

I remember getting the Sports Illustrated with Tony Dorsett on the cover and the headline "Tony D goes to Big D". I remember them beating the Broncos in the Super Bowl that year, and all the Air Force brats ganging up on me out on the playground.

I've never lived in Texas, but we moved around so much, I never had a hometown team. With the high profile the Cowboys had and frequent nationally televised Sunday games and Monday night games, they were the easiest team to follow.

I was born in Philly and have been an Eagles fan from birth. We lived in Philly when I was a kid up until my Dad was transferred to a job in DC back in the mid 70s and the family moved to MD. Coincidentally, that's when I started watching Terps b-ball... back in the days of Brad Davis, Gregg Manning, Buck Williams, Albert King, Dutch Morley, etc...

Eagles fan since birth

Terps fan since transplanting to MD

Hated teams: Dallas and Duke. Do you really need an explanation ?

I was born in Philly and have been an Eagles fan from birth.
I never had a chance. My dad was a guard on his high school football team in Texas when the Cowboys franchise was founded. .

I feel like I've just gotten insite into the mind of a criminal

just kidding.

sort of. :)

I didn't even like football until about 2001. Never watched games. Didn't have team.

I think I was playing Halo one day and I watched those previews for other games on there. NFL Fever 2001 being one of them. The concept looked fun. So I got the game. And it was. Video games actually turned me on to the concept of the real thing.

Ironically when I first started playing the game, I used the Dallas cowboys. Mainly because back in elementary school, everyone seemed to like them (it was the mid nineties.) But at this point, their team sucked. There ratings in the game were bad so it made it harder to learn the game. So I then went with the Eagles, because #1 they were from philly, and #2 the players had good ratings. I guess the rest is history.

Archived