Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN suspends Irvin following arrest

SkinsNut73

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10231332/from/RS.4/

Updated: 4:15 p.m. ET Dec. 1, 2005

DALLAS - Michael Irvin says he has been suspended by ESPN for one week for not telling the network about his arrest last week, when police found a drug pipe hidden in his car during a traffic stop.

Irvin, who has maintained that the pipe belonged to a friend, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he won’t return to the air until Dec. 11. He was arrested Friday in Plano, Texas, for an outstanding warrant on an unpaid speeding ticket but was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his car.

ESPN did not learn of Irvin’s arrest until reporters began calling the network Sunday night. Irvin said he didn’t tell the network about his arrest because he was scared.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10231332/from/RS.4/

Updated: 4:15 p.m. ET Dec. 1, 2005

DALLAS - Michael Irvin says he has been suspended by ESPN for one week for not telling the network about his arrest last week, when police found a drug pipe hidden in his car during a traffic stop.

Irvin, who has maintained that the pipe belonged to a friend, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he won’t return to the air until Dec. 11. He was arrested Friday in Plano, Texas, for an outstanding warrant on an unpaid speeding ticket but was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after police searched his car.

ESPN did not learn of Irvin’s arrest until reporters began calling the network Sunday night. Irvin said he didn’t tell the network about his arrest because he was scared.

Well now he and T.O. can spend some "quality time" together. :laugh:

Just saw on P.T.I. that Irvin was asked to leave the set of countdown until his case is straightened out. Could not agree with this decision more......:dallasuck

I'm not an Irvin fan, nor am I a drug user but I don't agree with that. ESPN is so painfully PC, it's sickening. For Irvin's part, it's a misdameanor at worst and it will probably take more than a month to get the case straight. Also, what if his alibi is true? I seriously doubt that it is but why wouldn't ESPN hold off on suspending the guy until the case has actually happened?

I'm not an Irvin fan, nor am I a drug user but I don't agree with that. ESPN is so painfully PC, it's sickening. For Irvin's part, it's a misdameanor at worst and it will probably take more than a month to get the case straight. Also, what if his alibi is true? I seriously doubt that it is but why wouldn't ESPN hold off on suspending the guy until the case has actually happened?

i agree.

On the one hand, he has been convicted of nothing (in this particular case). In this country, you are innocent until proven guilty.

On the other hand, he is a repeat drug offender. He didn't contact has job and inform him of his legal trouble. How will ESPN look, if he is convicted, of putting a crackhead on the air?

I could see it either way.

Regardless, he's now officially a dumbass.

Archived