Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts re: First time at FedEx

altair4

I went to FedEx for the first time ever last week, and my Very First Impression was "wow, no commercials!". But then it hit me, how much TV has shaped the game, the players, and the league, and not necessarily for the better. As much as I enjoy the convenience of watching on TV, it has really become more like non-stop commercials with football spliced in. And from that perspective, of course the players want to make the highlight reels. Maybe they will get enough to total 15 minutes of fame. Further, we now have mandantory "time outs" on change of possession, etc, that modulate momentum. I think this takes away from the "game" aspect of the game.

Obviously the network deals are not going away, as the vast majority of the revenue comes from the TV deals, so the league has to "give the devil his due." But I personally would like to see less frickin commercials, and less manipulation of the game for commercial purposes.

OTOH, the FedEx experience is not without it's own issues. The fans in the section I was in were already toasted alcohol-wise by the first kick-off. Over half the seats were still empty at that time as well. The fireworks, cheerleaders and flag waving were all "over the top" IMO, and I thought the least they could do was freshen up the painted logo at mid-field, and get the turf in better shape.

You may remember the "feel" at Griffith stadium, or RFK. The crowd was intent on contributing to the success of the team.....I don't get that vibe at Fedex..it is too big and too commercial.......Kinda like the difference between a concert in a 5000 seat auditorium, and a stadium.....you lose the connection to the performers in the bigger space.

So, I won't be signing up for season tickets. Looks like the best deal is a PVR, so thr game can be watched without the commercial breaks....

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

I went to FedEx for the first time ever last week, and my Very First Impression was "wow, no commercials!".

:helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet::helmet:

No commercials? How about "love that chicken from Popeyes" every five minutes? Or the non-stop Fed-Ex plugs? Or the Papa Johns fan of the game? The entire game is one non-stop commercial. I love our Washington Redskins and nothing can top going to the games, but the commercials are out of hand.

No commercials? How about "love that chicken from Popeyes" every five minutes? Or the non-stop Fed-Ex plugs? Or the Papa Johns fan of the game? The entire game is one non-stop commercial. I love our Washington Redskins and nothing can top going to the games, but the commercials are out of hand.

exactly....and don't forget the "Funky 4" brought to you by FedEx and the commercials for the Washington Post dream job,etc.etc. :doh:

Personally I think the whole "we can't get you a replay because the system is analog" is B.S.!!

Many times during the game there was a replay immediately after the play and then during Marty's challenge of Lavar's intereception...no replay....just commercials!! :mad:

I've had my season tickets for two years now, and the one thing that really stands out to me is that nothing changes. It is always the same performance. All the same awful songs in the pregame warm-ups, the cheerleaders always doing the same routine, the band playing the same tunes, the same idiot before the game trying to get the fans ready for the game, and from the looks of it, the same results in another disappointing season. For the money we have to pay to go to the games I feel that there should be some variety in the entertainment. :2cents:

Personally I think the whole "we can't get you a replay because the system is analog" is B.S.!!

Many times during the game there was a replay immediately after the play and then during Marty's challenge of Lavar's intereception...no replay....just commercials!! :mad:

Replay would be nice - instead, we are bombarded with in-house commercials - I may buy a small, handheld tv and start taking it into the game.

I've had my season tickets for two years now, and the one thing that really stands out to me is that nothing changes. It is always the same performance. All the same awful songs in the pregame warm-ups, the cheerleaders always doing the same routine, the band playing the same tunes, the same idiot before the game trying to get the fans ready for the game, and from the looks of it, the same results in another disappointing season. For the money we have to pay to go to the games I feel that there should be some variety in the entertainment. :2cents:

:applause:HEAR HEAR!!!:applause:

Archived