Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stats that people throw out during Gibbs 2.0

mcarey032

I heard the other day that Joe Gibbs is 34-14 in the month of december. I would like to believe that the redskins would run the table and make the playoffs, but what I have seen this year does not lead me to that conclusion. Then I heard another stat the redskins were 5-6 one year and then ran the table at the end of the year and went 10-6. All this is fine and well in the past when we were able to do things like have no salary cap and there were consistencies in playing. I just get tired of hearing about how we can make the playoffs due to things we did in the past. I think that last year proved and part of this proved that the redskins of the past are not the redskins of the present. If we finish 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, I would think that would be a great imporvement. Instead, people say we should have made the playoffs this year or have been in the super bowl. I think that we need to be patient and quit drawing comparisons to the past because all it is going to do is drive us crazy. What do you all think about the comparisons of the past>?

That stat includes last year in which we were 3-2 (losing the two games by a total of 6 points). That's part of Gibbs 2.0 right?

(edit: Vikings game was in January, but January has been just as good to Gibbs as Dec.)

December is Gibbs' month, you better believe it.

I saw that 34-14 December record to (in Wilbon's article I think) and immediately I liked our chances. But you are right, winning 5 in a row is extremely hard in this league, unless you have an outstanding team with few weaknesses and that's not us. It does show something though about Joe Gibbs and his teams' ability to finish. It's not always the best teams that get to the playoffs and to the Super Bowl, but the hottest teams at the end of the year.

I heard the other day that Joe Gibbs is 34-14 in the month of december. I would like to believe that the redskins would run the table and make the playoffs, but what I have seen this year does not lead me to that conclusion. Then I heard another stat the redskins were 5-6 one year and then ran the table at the end of the year and went 10-6. All this is fine and well in the past when we were able to do things like have no salary cap and there were consistencies in playing. I just get tired of hearing about how we can make the playoffs due to things we did in the past. I think that last year proved and part of this proved that the redskins of the past are not the redskins of the present. If we finish 7-9, 8-8, 9-7, I would think that would be a great imporvement. Instead, people say we should have made the playoffs this year or have been in the super bowl. I think that we need to be patient and quit drawing comparisons to the past because all it is going to do is drive us crazy. What do you all think about the comparisons of the past>?

I've been staying patient for 15 years......

My statement is that the a lot of fans are trying to relive the past when the team we have now is nowhere near a team of the past. I just am looking for improvement. I think that people are expecting Joe Gibbs to make the playoffs after two years. He hadn't been in football for 15 years and people are expecting miracles. I think that as long as we improve every year, I can live with that. It reminds me when Jordan came back. He was always being compared to his past accomplishments with what he was doing for the wizards. There is no comparison. It just isn't fair to do so.

If there is no room for hope in you why do you bother to pay attention? Stats don't win games, but they do provide hope for many of us that still believe. Anyways what else do you want to read? More doom and gloom? Face it buddy, nothing we write on these boards means spit when it comes down to how our boys play and how Gibbs coaches. This web page is like a support group and I, like many others, am banking on Gibbs in December.

I'm staying optimistic and I believe in Gibbs, but this thread makes perfect sense to me.

People throw out stats from his first tenure, and to me those numbers are irrelevant until he "confirms" them in this stint with the team. I'm not saying they aren't impressive or that we shouldn't trust that he's a great coach, I'm just saying it's not like this is the 1990 season or anything.

Things he's already done in his second tenure tend to invalidate (if that's a word) those stats. For example, his first season in his second stint (2004) was his worst at 6-10. This season seems to buck his November trend. Things like that give me less confidence in the numbers...

But all in all, I think it bodes well for us that a coach with several different types of teams has historically always gotten his best play to end seasons.

Who cares about the past when it's the present. The Raiders were supposed to suck based on their record before we played them, yet, we can't put up more than a measly 13 points and we lose. It's great to get our spirits up that running the table is possible, but we should focus on getting the job done now. I think it's pretty clear by now that Gibbs has a big challenge ahead of him - he gets a lot of respect based on what he has done in the past, but will be judged by us fans by what he does the rest of this season and the seasons to come in D.C.

what else do you go by if not his history.... in 85 he eas 5-6, and after Theisman was injured went 5-0 with backup Jay Schreorder.

it can be done, will it :whoknows:

Yes it can Bubba. You've done your homework my friend. Once the ball gets rollin, a 5 game winning streak is very possible.

I am not gloom and doom and I do believe he can get the job done. I just feel that there are many people out there who want this to be the 80's and this isn't. There is no Bobby Bethard telling Joe Gibbs that these are the players you have and making evaluations on talent. I find it interesting that during his tenure here in washington that Joe Gibbs had only ONE, ONE player in the hall of fame! Obviously that is a ridiculously low amount consdering who we had during that time. We have all kinds of pro bowl players and pro bowl caliber players and what have we got from this free agent schematic? Losing seasons! Hopefully, next year after we finish this year strong we can go back and build for the next seaon with a strong draft and quit worring about names trying to drain this franchise dry by driving up ticket, food and beverages, and merchandise prices. Just get back to the basics and that is winning, not whining.

I'm not saying that past statistics guarantee future results. What I am saying is let people have their statistics, let people have their hope. Right now, at 5-6 hope is the only thing we do have.

Oh yeah and a victory over the cowboys:laugh: I guess its a winning season after all.:cheers: :dallasuck

Thats right. All these stats that i hear are like 20 years old. Look at the entire Redskins organisation. Other than Gibbs, can anyone name one other similarity between then and now? We cant keep drawing on what happened then, just because the same head coach is here now.

Archived