Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Progress, not Perfection

E-Dog Night

I'll admit I have avoided this site for a few days, because I knew that it would be filled with irrational anger shortly after the latest heartbreak. Perhaps it shouldn't have been surprising to see the foolish malaise linger into midweek, but some of the posts on page one are shocking in their reactive contempt. Instead of falling into the trap of "Can you believe this, Gibbs blew another one because of X, Y & Z", may I humbly suggest that you realize something which should be fairly obvious:

Our beloved Skins are better than last year, better than the year before that, and the year before that. Or did you forget about the Spurrier debacle? Did you forget about Gibbs' ability to turn things around? Did you forget that it hasn’t been two full seasons yet?

I know, after looking at the Colts handle the Steelers to improve to 11-0, you may ask yourself, "Why can't we do that?" Try to remember that Gibbs once pulled the same feat, and that these same Manning-led Colts went 3-13 once.

The Redskins are getting better, fellas. These things take time.

I feel your disappointment; after the 3-0 start and going 4-2 & 5-3, it looked like we could put "The Suck" behind us. But it reared its ugly head again, particularly against the Raiders. Such is life, as can be attested by many a Bengals' fan, or Browns, or Texans, or even these same Chargers, or the Cardinals, the Rams too, the Eagles for an eon or two, the Cowboys for many years here & there, the Bucs for 30 years, the Saints almost every year since their inception, or…you get the picture.

We've tried the quick fix and it didn't work, and 1991 isn't going to come walking through that door. Who among us didn't call for laying a foundation and building slowly on top of it after Danny's "win the SB every year" mentality? That's what is happening now - the kind of team that wins consistently is being built here - the kind of team that we can all respect. And there's no one better to lead such a construction project than Joe Jackson Gibbs.

Our beloved Skins are better than last year, better than the year before that, and the year before that. Or did you forget about the Spurrier debacle?Did you forget about Gibbs' ability to turn things around? Did you forget that it hasn’t been two full seasons yet?

i agree with you.

but it is worth noting that spurrier and gibbs have the same record after 26 games.

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold

I would like to agree with you, but what about the teams that come out of nowhere and not only make the playoffs but get to the Super Bowl?

Carolina in '03

Ravens in '00

Giants in '00

Look at the Chargers just last year- going into the 04 season there was no reason at all to believe they'd finish 12-4.

Why cant that sort of thing happen for the Redskins?

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
i agree with you.

but it is worth noting that spurrier and gibbs have the same record after 26 games.

This is true, however Spurrier lost 4 of his final 5 games in '03, something I STILL will not acknowledge as something this team is capable of.

You can't come in change the system and get all the guys you require for a winning team in less than 2 years...it ain't happening. The team is getting better and that is cause for hope. The thing hurting Gibbs will be the salary cap and draft. If we can't free up anything there it will be a major road block. If we had good draft picks and salary cap status like Philley I would be expecting a playoff team by maybe year 4 but as it stands right now I wouldn't be surprised if Gibbs fails to get this team turned around by the time he retires again.

Dan

I would like to agree with you, but what about the teams that come out of nowhere and not only make the playoffs but get to the Super Bowl?

Carolina in '03

Ravens in '00

Giants in '00

Look at the Chargers just last year- going into the 04 season there was no reason at all to believe they'd finish 12-4.

They are the same teams that did nothing the next year!! They get into a streak and then blow out. Gibbs is putting together a system that will last us at least 10 years of competitiveness. Its somthing he didnt do his first run in Washington. He left it in the wrong hands with Petibon. Now he is building something that takes a little time like Tony Dungy did, like New Englands coach (cant remember his name!!Brain FART!!). This is a system that will last guys. You need a little patience! I posted once before "would it be worth it to go thorugh a couple of hard seasons to get a ring" and I say yes!!:2cents:

Carolina in '03

Ravens in '00

Giants in '00

Those teams played very good defense and each had a stong running game to fall back on...They took advantage of the turnovers their defense gave the offense. As for the Chargers, Drew Brees finally got "IT" and played out of mind...Didn't hurt that he has LT and Gates became an instant phenom. We'll get there. We just have to be patient and have faith in the coach. He knows what he's doing. We just gotta execute and eliminate the mistakes we've been making. I STILL BELIEVE........... :D

I agree 100% with your assessment.

How quickly we forget the horrible shape this team was in before Gibbbs return. He has not only stabilized the organization, but has also made them highly competitive.

Most coaches are given a minimum of three years to turn around a team; there is no reason why this same courtesy shouldn't be extended to a coach who has proved over and over his ability to succeed.

Our beloved Skins are better than last year, better than the year before that, and the year before that. Or did you forget about the Spurrier debacle? Did you forget about Gibbs' ability to turn things around? Did you forget that it hasn’t been two full seasons yet?

Our defense is worse than last year, and minus the Tampa Bay Game, our offense over the last four games is starting to look like the offense of last year.

I wasn't expecting any quick fixes and was expecting things to take time. But that is why some of our personnel decisions have baffled me so much. If this team is not built to win now, just what is the plan for the future?

Signing Mark Brunell for 7 years $43 million and an $8.6 million signing bonus? Does that sound like a wise investment for our FUTURE? Neglecting to draft anyone on our defensive line when Wynn and Daniels are aging, ineffective pass rushers? Is that an investment in the future? Ok, we have Rogers, but Harris and Springs are nearing the end of their careers as well, and are susceptible to injury. what is the plan for depth in the future at CB? And what is the plan at WR?

If we were the Tennessee Titans I could buy your talk of building for the future, but face it, this is not a young team. I had high hopes for this season, and if this team isn't built to win now, then it isn't being very well built to win in the next couple of seasons either.

If we were the Tennessee Titans I could buy your talk of building for the future, but face it, this is not a young team.

It isn't an old team either. Out of the 53 man roster, 15 are over the age of 30. Of those 7 are starters. (And two of them are special teams, John Hall and Ethan Albright.) So, that's 5 players who are regularly on the field who are over the age of 30. As I said, not exactly old.

Jason

They are the same teams that did nothing the next year!! They get into a streak and then blow out. Gibbs is putting together a system that will last us at least 10 years of competitiveness. Its somthing he didnt do his first run in Washington. He left it in the wrong hands with Petibon. Now he is building something that takes a little time like Tony Dungy did, like New Englands coach (cant remember his name!!Brain FART!!). This is a system that will last guys. You need a little patience! I posted once before "would it be worth it to go thorugh a couple of hard seasons to get a ring" and I say yes!!:2cents:

BleedinBurgundyandGold's question is common and understandable, but the gist of your response is the right thinking, IMO. Not to take ANY credit away at all from those teams, but those kind of seasons represent anomalies more than the results of an unusaully brilliant plan.

Take heart, E-Dog, as I have. While there is the flood of BS like you described, there are a number of strong posters, offering good, well-thought-out criticism and also recognition of numerous positives. These are also guys/gals who still support this group of players and coaches overall. There are areas and personnel demanding attention and change, and the familiar heartache of dashed hopes (realistic or not), but they haven't thrown the baby out with the dirty bathwater. Their names continue to become more familiar and appreciated by myself, and others, I'm sure.

Guest sith lord

Sure, we've scored more points than last year and Gibbs is getting the plays in on time, but other than that, where have we improved? Our defense have regressed and our offense is starting to look like last years and we're losing games we shouldn't. And there's still no gaurantee that we will win more games this year than we won last year. Also, who's gonna be the QB next year? No one can answer that.

Archived