Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you guys tired of Greg Williams packages?

boobiemiles

A lot of you are saying that GW would make a good head coach. I do not agree. In Buffalo he had Drew Bledsoe, A good RB, a good O line, and a good defense, no to mention Eric Moulds, and Peerless Price. And he stunk it up. But that is not why I think he'll would not make a good head coach. Belicheck (sp?) became a great head coach after his stint with the Browns, so it's possible. My big problem with GW is he is stubborn and does not do what is neccessary for our team to win. Last year his scheme worked, but people have caught up to it. The last three weeks our defense has embarrassed us. And what has GW done to compensate....nothing. Griff has been hurt, so generating a push up the middle has been hard. I thought GW would address this some how. But I'm still hearing that Lavar comes out of he game on hird downs......why? How does any coach in their right mind take out on of there best players that can play the pass and rush the QB. LA is entering into his prime, and they're holding him back!!???? I don't get it. Maybe LA makes a game changing play in one of the las three games so we don't look like bums every Monday morning. LA is an example of how GW is more concerned with his packages than winning. It's one of the things that I detested about Spurrier. They are to concerned about their own battles and that cost us he war. GW has done this before. He had a top notch D in Buffalo, but he still couldn't hack it. That's my :2cents: . I'm so sick of loosing.

Our defense did not embarras(sorry for the spelling) us last week, nor the week before that. We've held our opponents to a total of 33 points in 2 games throughout 8-quarters(minus the OT). If we would stop trying to run the clock down with 10+minutes left and a measily 7 point lead, we would be fine. GW isn't the problem. It's our OC.

I grew tired of Greg Williams the first game that we didn't do well on defense.

I expect shutouts every week... and the defense to score 40 points. A good coach never loses any games.

:D

Also- Why the uproar over Greg Williams' package? That's his OWN business.

The defense has returned to form the last two weeks. Those are two pretty good offenses that we held down most of the game. The offense is our problem. Not playing Lavar on atleast half of the third down plays, that I don't get. Line him and MW on the same side and run a stunt. GW's play calling hasn't been what it was last year.

GW's play calling hasn't been what it was last year.

Forgive me but, don't you need a healthy defense to do some of the things we did last year? I love the people that think GW just somehow "lost" or "forgot" the ability to coach in the span of a year and completely disregard the fact that we've had to overcome a devistating amount of injury this season.

I thought he had a great game plan going in the first half against the chargers, with all of the blitzing. But then in the second half, he went back to the "prevent", which everyone knows prevents you from winning.

I think we are just getting too predictable, trying to run safe blkitzes, especially with most of our blitzes coming from the edges, instead of up the middle. And we shouldn't show where the blitzes are coming from either. We should appear to be blitzing into one gap with a guy, but stunt into another gap at the last second (element of surprise). And I'd like to jam their receivers at the line and bring 7 or 8 sometimes, or rush 5, then send two more on a delay up the middle. And LaVar is not the one to be substituting for. He's a game changer and wreaks a lot of havoc when he gets in their backfield.

We've got to stay aggressive and unpredictable, not running safe blitzes with coverage all the time. We need to be agressive and unpredictable on offense too, even when we have the lead.

I grew tired of Greg Williams the first game that we didn't do well on defense.

I expect shutouts every week... and the defense to score 40 points. A good coach never loses any games.

Accepting low standards like that is why we aren't 11-0 like everyone else.

I just dont think we should be blitzing when we KNOW we arent getting any pressure on the QB. He's a good coach, but sticks with the blitz too long when its not working.

You guys wanna know something-

We have the worst blitz in the NFL. At least from the teams I have saw.

In the past few weeks I watched (I could be wrong but I seriously doubt it) every single Redskin blitz get picked up without hardly a single glitch. I swear it's like watching people run into a brick wall. And he isn't just sending one blitzer, it's multiple players. They run straight into blockers, it's honestly pathetic. They're not even knocking the QB down let alone pressuring him.

I'm completely disappointed in our blitz rush, and I watched everyone (LA, ST) noone gets pressure.

A lot of you are saying that GW would make a good head coach. I do not agree. In Buffalo he had Drew Bledsoe, A good RB, a good O line, and a good defense, no to mention Eric Moulds, and Peerless Price. And he stunk it up. But that is not why I think he'll would not make a good head coach. Belicheck (sp?) became a great head coach after his stint with the Browns, so it's possible. My big problem with GW is he is stubborn and does not do what is neccessary for our team to win. Last year his scheme worked, but people have caught up to it. The last three weeks our defense has embarrassed us. And what has GW done to compensate....nothing. Griff has been hurt, so generating a push up the middle has been hard. I thought GW would address this some how. But I'm still hearing that Lavar comes out of he game on hird downs......why? How does any coach in their right mind take out on of there best players that can play the pass and rush the QB. LA is entering into his prime, and they're holding him back!!???? I don't get it. Maybe LA makes a game changing play in one of the las three games so we don't look like bums every Monday morning. LA is an example of how GW is more concerned with his packages than winning. It's one of the things that I detested about Spurrier. They are to concerned about their own battles and that cost us he war. GW has done this before. He had a top notch D in Buffalo, but he still couldn't hack it. That's my :2cents: . I'm so sick of loosing.

Part of the problem falls on the offense when you hold teams to 16 and 17 points in regulation you expect to when had the offense performed better the defense would not be in these situations

I thought he had a great game plan going in the first half against the chargers, with all of the blitzing. But then in the second half, he went back to the "prevent", which everyone knows prevents you from winning.

I think we are just getting too predictable, trying to run safe blkitzes, especially with most of our blitzes coming from the edges, instead of up the middle. And we shouldn't show where the blitzes are coming from either. We should appear to be blitzing into one gap with a guy, but stunt into another gap at the last second (element of surprise). And I'd like to jam their receivers at the line and bring 7 or 8 sometimes, or rush 5, then send two more on a delay up the middle. And LaVar is not the one to be substituting for. He's a game changer and wreaks a lot of havoc when he gets in their backfield.

We've got to stay aggressive and unpredictable, not running safe blitzes with coverage all the time. We need to be agressive and unpredictable on offense too, even when we have the lead.

The only game i know where we truly stopped blitzingwas the cowboys game. With our Blitzes if we had a another stong defensive end or tackle would be more successfull.

Um, do some research next time before you condem a coach. First of all, Buffalo's o-line was under GW and continues to be a piece of crap. Drew Bledsoe looked like a scared kitten in Buffalo with all the pressure he saw. He was competing with David Carr for the most sacked title when he was a Bill. The year that Bledsoe had Moulds and Price his D was in the bottom 10, 25 in rush D. Then he lost Price to the Falcons, but added Takeo Spikes and Sam Adams. The D improved dramtically while the O looked like ours does now with only one legitimate pass threat. When you can triple team one reciever and single everybody else and still not have anyone open, it's going to be hard to move the ball. As far as the last 3 games, the D got burned in Tampa, but in all honesty, Simms made some really good reads and throws that we probably didn't expect he could make. Against Oakland the D played well. I mean, come on, they outscored the offense. When you're D scores a TD, allows only one and you still lose I don't know how you can blame the D. 6 points on offense and it''s the D's fault? Were you expecting to win 3-0? This isn't hockey, it's football, you need more points than that. Finally, against the Chargers I thought our D played awesome. However, if you spend the whole 2nd half going 3 and out on O, you're giving LT way too many chances and he's gonna break one eventually. Look at the run in OT. He shrugged off 2 people in the hole and stiff armed Ryan Clark to the ground. He'd have scored that TD against anyone. That's what the best back since Barry Sanders is supposed to do with the game on the line. To be frank, it's Joe Gibb's offense that isn't getting the job done right now. Don't take that the wrong way, i'm not one of the idiots who thinks we should fire Gibbs and hire Mariucci. As far as I'm concerned Gibbs can stay as long as he wants but, honestly, it's his side of the ball that's losing games right now.

I just dont think we should be blitzing when we KNOW we arent getting any pressure on the QB. He's a good coach, but sticks with the blitz too long when its not working.

We got there against SD. I think the biggest difference was that Griffin was back in the lineup and he drew a double every play he was in the game. That opened up room for the back 7 blitzers to get there. It's just like on offense. Moss and Griffin draw consistent double teams which opens everything up for everyone else. The difference is, on D we have people who can exploit that and on O we don't.

My big problem with GW is he is stubborn and does not do what is neccessary for our team to win. Last year his scheme worked, but people have caught up to it. The last three weeks our defense has embarrassed us. And what has GW done to compensate....nothing.

....But I'm still hearing that Lavar comes out of he game on hird downs......why? How does any coach in their right mind take out on of there best players that can play the pass and rush the QB. LA is entering into his prime, and they're holding him back!!????

what the hell do YOU know about greg williams being stubborn? why is it that just because he comes across a certain way on camera (which i've never really seen), people deem him as arrogant, stubborn, big-headed in person?...

maybe you aren't on the practice field throughout the week? maybe you don't coordinate with Joe Gibbs every day? gibbs is a man of character, and if he thinks that GW's character needs to be kept in check, he'll do so. until you deal with him every day, don't start this "GW is arrogant" bull.

why is it so hard for people to accept that the defense simply isn't producing because of execution?

not playing lavar on 3rd down is curious at best - perhaps if you play him on 3rd down, the other team pretty much knows you are going to blitz, among a plethora of reasons that i'm sure our head coaches have figured out.

it boils down to what Om said about the front four not getting to the quarterback. anytime, and i mean ANYTIME you let ANY nfl qb have the kind of time that chris simms, kerry collins, drew brees have had in the past 3 weeks, you WILL give up a big pass, or at leats a 1st down. it's a core problem, and it makes everything else look bad.

what the hell do YOU know about greg williams being stubborn? why is it that just because he comes across a certain way on camera (which i've never really seen), people deem him as arrogant, stubborn, big-headed in person?...

maybe you aren't on the practice field throughout the week? maybe you don't coordinate with Joe Gibbs every day? gibbs is a man of character, and if he thinks that GW's character needs to be kept in check, he'll do so. until you deal with him every day, don't start this "GW is arrogant" bull.

why is it so hard for people to accept that the defense simply isn't producing because of execution?

not playing lavar on 3rd down is curious at best - perhaps if you play him on 3rd down, the other team pretty much knows you are going to blitz, among a plethora of reasons that i'm sure our head coaches have figured out.

it boils down to what Om said about the front four not getting to the quarterback. anytime, and i mean ANYTIME you let ANY nfl qb have the kind of time that chris simms, kerry collins, drew brees have had in the past 3 weeks, you WILL give up a big pass, or at leats a 1st down. it's a core problem, and it makes everything else look bad.

I agree, but Brees did get knocked around. He had a horrible day. 50% completion with 3 int and no TD. We held TD in check for 56 min. All we needed was for our offense to help the D just a little in the 2nd half but they vanished without a trace. Had they been able to sustain 1 drive, even if they didn't get any points, it probably would've been enough to keep LT from tying it.

He is doing the best he can with the talent we have. I mean come on Walt Harris wouldn't be on any other team and niether would pierson prilou or however you spell his name. He makes things work. He practically handed the offense a key to winning and they blew it. I can't hang that loss on the d. They were out on the field far too long! Pass the blame game somewhere else!

If the front four isn't getting any pressure, then you have to compensate with the blitz. Don't you think that LaVar is a good enough linebacker to be effective on the blitz. I want the QB to be nervous bout the blitz. LA strikes the fear of God into QB's.

remember in the pre-season field interviews after practice where GW would smuggly talk about the the number of packages they had. "we've got 18 packages....19 packages...24 packages". The way he said it with that I just invented oxygen look on his face, I really thought it was great then. Now I think it sucks and I am sure he wishes he never did that. Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson.

Archived