Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reason to be Hopeful (long).

s0crates

Stick with me guys, this is a bit of a long post. I have thought this out for a while and think its a good analysis. I would love some feedback please.

Last week, The San Diego Chargers humiliated a fairly talented Buffalo team 42-10. The Washington Redskins, coming off two losses, looked hopelessly outmatched as they prepared to face this dominant Chargers team. Could they even muster a fight? The 'skins certainly needed a win, but there was little reason to expect one.

Surprisingly, the Redskins dominated the Chargers for 3 quarters. With the return of Cornelius Griffin came a return to form for the defense. They limited the mighty Chargers offense for most of the day and handing Drew Brees his worst performance of the season. They recorded many sacks, forced turnovers in key situations, and generally looked very good. Alas, the game would end in heartbreak. The Redskins wasted a brilliant effort, letting a 17-7 fourth quarter lead slip away and eventually losing the game in overtime. Their third consecutive loss reduces the team's record to 5-6, effectively eliminating any hope of a post-season birth. Indeed, their playoff chances have been reduced from slim to very slim.

It must be noted, though, that the Redskins delivered a strong performance, giving the playoff-bound Chargers all they could handle. The team was again competitive. They have been consistently so. Throughout the season, they have delivered strong performances week in and week out. Sadly, they have not closed the deal in many close games. The team has played well but has not finished well. In short, they have not yet learned to win. Once they do, the sky will be the limit. For now though, the team and its fans are in the midst of a gut wrenching three game losing streak.

Despite the long November losing streak, many fans still expect a strong finish from the 'skins. Given Coach Joe Gibbs' history of finishing strong, this is not an altogether unreasonable expectation. A look at his first tenure is reassuring. In 1981, the 'skins started 0-5 and went 8-3 down the stretch. They won the Super Bowl the following year. In 1984, the 'skins started 5-4, went 6-1 down the stretch, and won the division. In 1985, the 'skins started 5-5, went 5-1 down the stretch, and finished with a respectable 10-6 record. The 1989 season had the 'skins at 5-6, just as they are now. They then went 5-0 to finish the season 10-6. They won the Super Bowl two years later.

For those that would rather not make assumptions based on historical trends, history is not the only reason to expect a strong finish. This season's trends also give cause for such hope. The Redskins are an impressive 5-2 against conference opponents - including wins over division leaders Dallas, Seattle, and Chicago. Wouldn't you know, the team’s remaining schedule has them facing only conference opponents. The Redskins are 4-2 at home. Luckily, they'll get a shot at both of their division leaders, Dallas and New York, at home. The Redskins are 2-1 against division foes. You guessed it, they play three division games to finish the season.

Given these trends and the team's recent competitive play, there is a cautious optimism among many fans. Indeed, there is still hope that the team could make its first playoff appearance since 1999. Still, the realist admits a sweep of the remaining opponents is unlikely for a team that has been losing lately. The same realist admits that nothing less will end the Redskins' six year playoff drought. The optimists still has reason to hope and adopts a wait and see approach. I, of course, am an optimist.

For you realists out there, there are still plenty of reasons to watch this team. They have a lot left to play for. A 9-7 season is still well within their grasp. This would be a significant achievement for a team that has had only one winning season since Coach Gibbs retired in 1992. Equally exciting is the possibility of sweeping their arch-rival Dallas Cowboys, a feat that would mean the world to longtime Redskins fans. Given that Dallas has dominated the series for years, it would be a monumental accomplishment indeed.

Regardless of what the future holds, Redskins fans have plenty of reasons to be happy at this point in the season. First and foremost, they defeated the Dallas Cowboys, something they had been unable to do for longer than anyone wishes to discuss. It is impossible to overstate the significance of that victory. Suffice it to say, it was the biggest win this team has had in years.

Secondly, the team has a built a good nucleus of talent in the short time since Gibbs' return. The Redskins have been rebuilt into a team that can win. They drafted an elite safety last season in Sean Taylor. They got steal in the third round when they took the extremely productive h-back Chris Cooley. Carlos Rogers, this year’s first round pick, showed he is ready to be an NFL star with a superb performance in relief of struggling veteran Walt Harris. The trade for Santana Moss has proven to be among the best decisions of the past off-season; he is easily among the league's top receivers. Clinton Portis has been a great back, turning in consecutive 1000 yard seasons, good pass protection skills, good receiving skills, and a generally high football IQ. Marcus Washington is delivering a second consecutive pro-bowl worthy season. Shawn Springs has proven to be a shut-down corner. Cornelius Griffin has proven to be an all-pro defensive tackle. Mark Brunell has played the best of any Redskins quarterback in years. Given the prudence of the team’s personnel decisions thus far, there is every reason to expect Jason Campbell to be a success when Brunell retires.

They are also making good decisions in hiring coaches. Greg Williams has developed a group of no-name players into one of the leagues most fearsome defenses. Joe Bugel has improved an offensive line that was, until his arrival, among the league’s worst. Bill Musgrave has wisely implemented the shotgun and contributed to Mark Brunell's resurgence. Earnest Byner has overseen an exceptional group of running backs. As a whole, the Redskins have put together one of the league's best coaching staffs. Oh yeah, and their leader is Hall of Famer Joe Gibbs.

Between the coaches and players, the franchise is beginning to resemble one with direction. They are making purposeful and intelligent decisions. They look like a team with good leadership. They are a competitive team making good long-term decisions, and the improvement is starting to show on the field. The rebuilding process is nearing completion. All that remains is to develop some cohesiveness, a team unity that only comes with continuity and time. And for once, the franchise is showing patience by allowing this process to occur. There can be little doubt that it will all pay off in the near future. Redskin’s fans always hope for a better next year, this time they can expect it.:2cents:

I guess you guys see the redskins team in a different light. You always mention how you have played very good and lost close games.

The fact is that good teams have been playing down to you level. Your 3-0 start was actually do to the team overachieving and playing better than they are. The skins first three wins were due to good teams playing bad and a few miracles mixed in.

The redkins are essentially a 2-14 team that got pretty lucky in the beginning of the season. Nothing more, nothing less.

1) Rookie QB throwing INT in endzone, down by 2 points in field goal range

2) Two last minute Hail Marys against a team that dominated them and failed to effectively run the clock out in a low scoring blow out.

3) Missed field goal hitting the upright. (Inches)

Take those three wins and realize the skins are really not much better than the Texans this season, just with a worse draft pick next april.

3)

I guess you guys see the redskins team in a different light. You always mention how you have played very good and lost close games.

The fact is that good teams have been playing down to you level. Your 3-0 start was actually do to the team overachieving and playing better than they are. The skins first three wins were due to good teams playing bad and a few miracles mixed in.

The redkins are essentially a 2-14 team that got pretty lucky in the beginning of the season. Nothing more, nothing less.

2) Two last minute Hail Marys against a team that dominated them and failed to effectively run the clock out in a low scoring blow out.

Take those three wins and realize the skins are really not much better than the Texans this season, just with a worse draft pick next april.

3)

Go to Dallas

3)

Not going to spend much time responding to this quote -- as anyone can plainly see almost every game we lost - as well as the ones in the "W" column -- were all very close and could have went either way. Tampa? Denver? KC? Oakland? SD? Could you not use the exact same logic as this obvious intellectual giant to assume we could just as easily be 10-1? Of course you could. So this argument holds no weight as I promptly discard it from this site.....:kickcan:

On to the original thread --- yes, you have raised a lot of important points which I hope haven't completely escaped Redskin fans at this stage of the season. There are many positives which we can hold on to as proof that the organization is pointed in the right direction. There is no question we have a stability here that we haven't seen since Gibbs' first tenure. There is a feeling of this team starting to come together as a family -- problem players are being shown the door and coach's "core Redskins" are beginning to assume their roles as leaders. I agree that I take a lot more pride in being a Redskin fan than I have in years past.

Having said this..........I still believe it is important to try to understand the level of frustration felt by so many fans. I cannot express the feeling of elation that came over me when I found out that coach was coming back. I, as well as many other fans, expected a miracle with Gibbs back at the helm. That is why last yr was so excruciating and this yr has been such a heartbreak. The progress is obvious -- we are no longer a team that other squads look at as an "off week". This is great - except for one thing. Once you get to the point where you are playing competitive football....the fans start to expect the team to win those games. I believe we will get it done and I truly believe coach Gibbs will be the man to restore this program to prominance. It is just so frustrating to see it right in front of our faces and know that it - in all probability - will have to wait until next year. Ending on a positive note....I know alot of people have been complaining that we are ALWAYS saying "wait for next year", and that is so true. Still, can you honestly say that you don't expect this team to continually get better over the next 3-5yrs? I definately expect it -- and that is something I haven't been able to say with a lot of faith for a VERY long time. :2cents: :gaintsuck

sOc, I was thinking of doing a similar deal in a day or two, but you did a great job. It's me POV that while dealing with the angst, anger, and frustration we also should not dismiss the good things as "wasted". It's obvious that if we had been blown out of most games, had indeed lost what the ignorant cowpie azz called the three "lucky" wins, or had any of a dozen other good things that really happened this year go the other direction, we'd really appreciate the difference. Just beating the cowpies and Eagles was big compare to previous years. Seeing that their are parts of this offense that can work damn well is big compared to previous years. Seeing some team cohesion is big compared to previous years. Seeing many of our player aquisitions playing very well is big compared to previous years. Seeing us stand toe-to-toe with the best teams and fithing all the way is big compared to previous yeras. It really is. Our w/l record and not going to the play-offs (as it looks today), and the individual mistakes (coaches and players) are hard to deal with again, even if some of that disapointment is exacerbated by unrealistic expectations based on our part.

You did a good job of making it clear that we of course still have real problems and they must be fixed and not missed or avoided to get over the next hump, and that they hurt and piss us off. But when you take an inventory, you note whats working and has been good as well as what isn't working and needs to be changed. And if you don't feel and acknowledge your successes along with the pain and acceptance of your failures and working to fix them...well, then you should find something healthier to do with your time.

3)

Ok...so we've just happened to catch every single team playing down to our level save for the Giants? You didn't dominate us, the stats were actually pretty even, and the only touchdown you scored was off of a flea flicker. You don't consider that lucky? We also missed a field goal against Seattle, but you ignore that. And the interception with the Bears? Well, then the Cowboys sure were lucky to beat both San Diego and the Eagles. Please stick to your team, since you have no real objective ability to analyze ours.

This has to be my 2nd time reading a very well written detailed post. You made a number of good points commenting on players on both sides of the ball to the coaches, offensive/defensive. No one can argue that the Redskins have improved their staff since Joe Gibbs returned. You've already named the players...so, I won't do that again. However, it is a positive that all Redskins' fan can look to. Furthermore, consider what other player/s may come to us during the off-season and fill a much needed position to help solidify an already decent defense! And, If we add another top receiver to the offense... OMG!

I still believe we can make it to the playoffs, no doubt!

I completely agree with your post. Yeah, it sux that our team has broken our hearts week in and week out, but I'll take heartbreak over blowouts anyday. I think that every Redskin fan expects a loss , but watches every week with the glimmer of hope that we will somehow, someway find the fortitude to close out the games. It will happen. We all know it will. The fact that we don't know when is what pains us. All I can say is hopefully soon.

I agree that they outplayed San Diego for 3 Quarters but the same can be said for road games in KC, Denver, and Tampa and home games against Oakland. Meaning that if they had played as well in the 4th quarter they could reasonably be a top of the conference 9-2 team and maybe even 10-1.

A lot of people are saying that this team is just as likely to be 1-10 as they are 10-1 well the same could have been said of the 1982 SB winning team that won most of its games because it had a good kicker and didn't lose games it was staying close in.

sOcrates,

Congratulations on a very thorough and well-written piece.

I wish I could see things the same way. I see mediocrity with not much hope right now for improvement. Is that pessimistic or realistic? Well, time will tell.

I admire Dan Snyder but every move the man has made has left me saying: "I hope I'm wrong but..."

One of these days, I'm going to be wrong.

I think bringing Joe back was not the best move for the organization but I hope I'm wrong.

I believe that we, as fans, have succumbed to the Dan Snyder media machine. What do you call a team that plays hard against superior teams and loses...LOSERS!

You are searching for a moral victory where none exists. The mark of a good team is that they don't beat themselves, and this team is falling back into the same trap. The personnel here, with a few exceptions, are overpayed and underperforming. and it shows because they lack the focus and drive to finish teams off.

The coaching staff(I love JG but...) lacks the Spurrier mantra of run up the score. Even in his first go-round, JG would build up a little lead and sit on it until the end. You cannot do that in the pass-happy NFL. You have to build up such a lead that it becomes insurmountable. Until they adopt that model, they will lose.

The front office has no clear direction of what they want this team to be. Is it a balanced attack? Pass heavy? Defense heavy? What are the philosophy they are building to? I have never heard anyone from Redskins Park articulate that nugget.

Let's examine the front office for awhile. Vinny Cerrato is a joke for a personnel director. His reputation is for selecting first round talent, but failing to produce in the later rounds. This is one reason why Marty canned him within one week.

DS is a great businessman, but he is no General Manager. Jerry Jones can get away with that title, at least, because he played the game at the collegiate level. DS, however, WATCHED people play the game.

Until DS stops being the little Napolean that he is, and gets peopple in that can protect him from himself, this franchise is doomed, I am sad to say. A friend of mine, although an admitted Broncos fan, said that he feels sorry for Redskins fans because DS is going to own this team for a long time, and I am beginning to believe him.

I am sorry, folks, but DS bringing back JG cannot overcome the above. I hope I am proven wrong.

DS, if your listening, get smart and go after Ron Wolf, pay him whatever he wants, and hire Charlie Wies as your HC, and give them full control over your operation!

3)

After this type of post NO ONE can argue with me that cowboy fans have the lowest football IQ of all homer fans... :laugh: :laugh:

where do I start. The fact that this team is still in the playoff hunt after having a -10 turnover ratio? The fact that the only reason we didn't win the TB, KC, Denver, Oakland, SD, games were down to a play or two and a few iffy at best ref calls? Its funny how the cowgirl fans point out to their lose as a "couple of bombs" when in fact their only TD came on a BS trick play, or how quickly they forget their win at their house last year was on a hailmary pass to Clayton at 4th and forever.

Bottom line is I feel sick just answering you and your BS post pal. :mad:

I believe that we, as fans, have succumbed to the Dan Snyder media machine. What do you call a team that plays hard against superior teams and loses...LOSERS!

You are searching for a moral victory where none exists. The mark of a good team is that they don't beat themselves, and this team is falling back into the same trap. The personnel here, with a few exceptions, are overpayed and underperforming. and it shows because they lack the focus and drive to finish teams off.

The coaching staff(I love JG but...) lacks the Spurrier mantra of run up the score. Even in his first go-round, JG would build up a little lead and sit on it until the end. You cannot do that in the pass-happy NFL. You have to build up such a lead that it becomes insurmountable. Until they adopt that model, they will lose.

The front office has no clear direction of what they want this team to be. Is it a balanced attack? Pass heavy? Defense heavy? What are the philosophy they are building to? I have never heard anyone from Redskins Park articulate that nugget.

Let's examine the front office for awhile. Vinny Cerrato is a joke for a personnel director. His reputation is for selecting first round talent, but failing to produce in the later rounds. This is one reason why Marty canned him within one week.

DS is a great businessman, but he is no General Manager. Jerry Jones can get away with that title, at least, because he played the game at the collegiate level. DS, however, WATCHED people play the game.

Until DS stops being the little Napolean that he is, and gets peopple in that can protect him from himself, this franchise is doomed, I am sad to say. A friend of mine, although an admitted Broncos fan, said that he feels sorry for Redskins fans because DS is going to own this team for a long time, and I am beginning to believe him.

I am sorry, folks, but DS bringing back JG cannot overcome the above. I hope I am proven wrong.

DS, if your listening, get smart and go after Ron Wolf, pay him whatever he wants, and hire Charlie Wies as your HC, and give them full control over your operation!

I agree with everything you said. If JGibbs needs to change something in this new go around is his way of approaching the 4th quarter with a lead. This is afterall the team that can score against Denver in Denver in the closing minutes. I trully believe if Joe takes off the cuffs in the 4th quarter in TB and SD we win. The one game he needed to run the ball was against the Raiders and what did he do? he called for 3 bombs to Jacobs when Jacobs couldn't get ANY seperation on the CB. That one I will never understand. IMO attrocious playcalling has our record to 5-6 instead of 7-4.

Ok...so we've just happened to catch every single team playing down to our level save for the Giants? You didn't dominate us, the stats were actually pretty even, and the only touchdown you scored was off of a flea flicker. You don't consider that lucky? We also missed a field goal against Seattle, but you ignore that. And the interception with the Bears? Well, then the Cowboys sure were lucky to beat both San Diego and the Eagles. Please stick to your team, since you have no real objective ability to analyze ours.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Its obvious that the bears, Seahawks, and Cowboys are much better teams. Thats just the logical way of explaining your season compared to trying to justify a superbowl caliber team that has lost more games than they have won.

I said at the beggining of the year that the Redskins probably had the 3rd best defense in the NFC east, that is probably true. I figured that would take them to 6-10 or 7-9, that is probably true.

Anyone who can look at the redskins this year and justify the season as a success is kidding themselves. We are late in the season, no one is hiding.

Sometimes the truth hurts. Its obvious that the bears, Seahawks, and Cowboys are much better teams. Thats just the logical way of explaining your season compared to trying to justify a superbowl caliber team that has lost more games than they have won.

I said at the beggining of the year that the Redskins probably had the 3rd best defense in the NFC east, that is probably true. I figured that would take them to 6-10 or 7-9, that is probably true.

Anyone who can look at the redskins this year and justify the season as a success is kidding themselves. We are late in the season, no one is hiding.

We did beat the Bears, Seahawks, and Cowboys. You can't take it away from us. It seems fair to take that as evidence that this is a pretty good team. . . not neccessarily a Super Bowl caliber team. As long as we have Gibbs, though, Super Bowls will be part of the conversation. The man's middle name is Super Bowl.

I'm especially looking forward to playing you guys at FedEx. If we sweep you guys, will you change your tune?

It must be noted, though, that the Redskins delivered a strong performance, giving the playoff-bound Chargers all they could handle. The team was again competitive. They have been consistently so. Throughout the season, they have delivered strong performances week in and week out. Sadly, they have not closed the deal in many close games. The team has played well but has not finished well. In short, they have not yet learned to win. Once they do, the sky will be the limit. For now though, the team and its fans are in the midst of a gut wrenching three game losing streak

I like the post, but the paragraph I quoted could have been written in most of the last 10 years.

So...they are much better teams simply because you say so? We have had the hardest schedule in the NFL, and yet we still managed to beat the above three teams that are all supposedly vastly superior. You also didn't explain to me the Cowboys lucky wins. The season has been a success, for the most part, so far. The team has obviously progressed. And while this board does have its share of homers, I think the collective base would argue against this season being a failure. Realistically, you have not explained at any point why this is a 2-14 team....(which also means you assume that we WILL lose to the Rams and Cards, which are both unlikely). I could argue the exact same thing about the 'Boys, and use the same basic faulty logic to argue that they have only had three games they truly deserved to win (Eagles, Lions, Cards). It doesn't make it true, but other than that they haven't looked overly impressive their other wins, and have had some luck in winning all the other games, meaning that, by your logic, its true. And you're right, we're late in the season and noone is hiding. That's why, in the last three weeks, you have eeked out a win against Eagles on a pretty much fluke interception, beat a lackluster Lions team, and lost to Denver, just like we did. Back to drawing board....

3)

hey i got a quick question for you.

Did You Guys Beat Seattle? NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Did You guys beat us? Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Now STFU, and go back to your dallas cowboys forum.

BTW, We have played 8 teams w/ records over.500, and Beat 3 division leaders ( Seattle,Pokes,Bears)

You guys have only beaten 2 teams w/ winning records! out of 7, and your opp. winning % is near the bottom of the nfl, while our opp. winning % is 2nd best in the nfl. We have the 2nd hardest schedule in the league behind the texans! Now get your facts straight before you say anything stupid, and go back to your board until you beat us. OK little boy!

Just remeber 14-13 :dallasuck

3)

A 2-14 team? LOL! We won our first 3, plain and simple. We beat you guys. We lost to Tampa b/c of bad officiating and have lost a couple of close games.

Archived