Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are you guys dising cp

Duptgrow

Wow... I can't believe what you guys are writing these things about CP! He is an excellent back...he get yards after contact, he is a great blocker, catches the ball out of the back field and most of all he plays hurt! That is the reason Joe Gibbs & Bugle thank God everyday that he is a redskin. They absolutely love him and the last time i checked they had 3 super bowl rings. So I think they might know little something about running back considering there offensive attack is built around the running game. Further more, when is the last time you saw our o-line create a new line of scrimmage for him? I can’t remember maybe you can. Oh yeah by the way… didn't CP have 1,300 yards last year? How many redskins’ running backs have gotten to that milestone in the last 20 years? Answer that question before you sh#t on CP

yeah i agree portis has been fine. people take off the joe bugel glasses and realize that this line is NOT the second coming of the hogs. Samuels is the most overpaid tackle in the NFL. He's okay, probably the 2nd best lineman on the team with Jansen nursing injuries, but not near worth the Walter Jones money he's making. Randy Thomas seems to be the only Redskins lineman that dominates. My opinion of Rabach was pretty high until Sunday. Dockery is ok, having a good season, but he gets atleast one holding penalty a game. Jansen is getting better but he's been fighting off injuries (knee from last year and both thumbs).

Some others have said it on this board too. Anyone other than LT and maybe Edge would put up the exact same numbers if not worse than Portis because of the blocking.

I like CP.....he's a good back, a team leader and a heck of a blocker (downfield especially).

I think it's just many expect the Portis that played for Denver and frankly, we don't have the scheme or the O-Line to do what Denver does right now.

As for the Portis fumbles, have you ever noticed it's because he keeps fighting for extra yards that leads to hime getting stripped from behind.

I feel bad for CP sometimes b/c he seems to have to fight for every yard, unlike the Chargers where LT seemed to get yards with ease.

Isn't the defense of Joe Gibbs based on his past accomplishments growing a little old? He may have three Superbowl rings, but he is far from a Superbowl coach at this point in time.

Anyway, nobody is questioning Clinton's effort. As you mentioned, he's an exceptional pass blocker and a good receiver out of the backfield. But, his running style does not fit our running scheme, and he is nowhere near worthy of the contract Gibbs gave him or the price it took to acquire him. Whether you choose to admit it or not, Clinton Portis is not a running back suited for a primarily inside running attack at 25+ carries a game. He's a 15 carry per game back that is best out on the edge. If Gibbs wanted a power runner, Corey Dillon, Stephen Jackson, Julius Jones, or Kevin Jones all would have been viable options at much less cost.

Isn't the defense of Joe Gibbs based on his past accomplishments growing a little old? He may have three Superbowl rings, but he is far from a Superbowl coach at this point in time.

Save the harsh words on Gibbs for after he retires. Then say that. You'll change your mind before he's gone.

If Gibbs wanted a power runner, Corey Dillon, Stephen Jackson, Julius Jones, or Kevin Jones all would have been viable options at much less cost.

Yeah, Julius Jones and Kevin Jones are really tearing it up, aren't they?

Portis is running behind a waaay overrated offensive line, and despite that he still has some pretty good numbers.

Are these "yards after contact" the same ones he's getting while he's stumbling in the hole and trying to find a place to softly fall down?

I don't see the same CP I saw in Denver. He doesn't hit the hole hard in DC.... never seems to make a quick decision and simply explode through the hole and into the 2nd level. I often see him prancing around gingerly hitting holes and then beginning the process of getting to the ground.

Sorry...it's just my opinion.... I just don't think he's a good fit for this offense. Sure, some of it is the O-line and they've been taken to task for their inconsistency..... but I also see a RB that almost appears to be shying away from contact and getting down to avoid the big hit.

A leader doesn't drop that TD in the corner of the endzone in which we had to settle for a FG. Brunell escapes pressure and puts it where on Portis can catch it... it bounces off his hands and out of bounds. Leaders.... stars.... featured backs.... I don't think make those mistakes. I'm just not sold on him.... my opinion... thankful to have the freedom to have one.

Yeah, Julius Jones and Kevin Jones are really tearing it up, aren't they?

Not at the moment. Portis is a much better back than both of those backs; however, we traded a second round pick, a top five cornerback, and on on top of all that, we annointed him the highest paid running back in league history (at the time). Drafting a Jones or Jackson, keeping our second round pick and Bailey, and signing a premier pass-rushing end seems like a better option to me.

Save the harsh words on Gibbs for after he retires. Then say that. You'll change your mind before he's gone.

Yesterday at Joe Gibbs' press conference, when a reporter asked him if he thought his offensive playcalling became more conservative in the fourth quarter, Gibbs responded, "I don't think we do."

If Gibbs can't see the error of his ways after he nearly cost us the Eagles game, and cost us the Bucs', Raiders', and Chargers' games, why do you have so much confidence in the man?

Portis is a back best set for an offense like the Colts with a spread formation and a quarterback that can threaten defenses down the field. That gives him the room to use his speed in space to effect.

He is not at his best running between the tackles in a two tight end formation, although he can still get decent yardage totals in that type of offense.

So, I guess what I am saying is that Portis needs to have the handcuffs taken off of him and be allowed to be the creative athlete we have seen in the past and in glimmers here in DC.

Are these "yards after contact" the same ones he's getting while he's stumbling in the hole and trying to find a place to softly fall down?

I don't see the same CP I saw in Denver. He doesn't hit the hole hard in DC.... never seems to make a quick decision and simply explode through the hole and into the 2nd level. I often see him prancing around gingerly hitting holes and then beginning the process of getting to the ground.

Sorry...it's just my opinion.... I just don't think he's a good fit for this offense. Sure, some of it is the O-line and they've been taken to task for their inconsistency..... but I also see a RB that almost appears to be shying away from contact and getting down to avoid the big hit.

A leader doesn't drop that TD in the corner of the endzone in which we had to settle for a FG. Brunell escapes pressure and puts it where on Portis can catch it... it bounces off his hands and out of bounds. Leaders.... stars.... featured backs.... I don't think make those mistakes. I'm just not sold on him.... my opinion... thankful to have the freedom to have one.

Besides Moss Clinton is most of our offense. He blocks amazingly well, he can run he can catch. He needs a better line and when he gets good holes he will break a big run. You're full of garbage.

Yesterday at Joe Gibbs' press conference, when a reporter asked him if he thought his offensive playcalling became more conservative in the fourth quarter, Gibbs responded, "I don't think we do."

If Gibbs can't see the error of his ways after he nearly cost us the Eagles game, and cost us the Bucs', Raiders', and Chargers' games, why do you have so much confidence in the man?

Obviously you are too young to remember why he was hired back here to begin with. Players need to execute. Rabach doesn't hold, we win the game, Portis gets two yards against Tampa, we win the game, Not turning the ball over against the Raiders, we win the game. Get it? This would then be a moot point

I would respond to your argument but you are picking bits and pieces to back your opinion...instead of looking at it from all angles...for instance (A leader doesn't drop that TD in the corner of the end zone in which we had to settle for a FG. Brunell escapes pressure and puts it where on Portis can catch it... it bounces off his hands and out of bounds.)Did you forget about the pass he caught against TB to keep the drive going, now that was a tough catch, but you don't remember that huh? Another example ( Leaders.... stars.... featured backs.... I don't think make those mistakes ) really leaders don't make mistakes...Wow... So, Joe Montana never threw an interception, Walter Payton never fumbled, Jerry Rice never dropped a pass and Michael Jordan always hit the game winning shot. Saying things like that allows me to know what kind of person I’m dealing with. Have you ever played a sport pass the high school level?

Oh yeah by the way… didn't CP have 1,300 yards last year? How many redskins’ running backs have gotten to that milestone in the last 20 years? Answer that question before you sh#t on CP
Well Ill answer that question for you..even though Im not a CP basher cause I love CP and what he brings to the team. Anyways.. he definately has game..check this out..

http://www.redskins.com/team/history-career.jsp

All time career rushing leader at #5 is Ernest Byner with 3,950 yards that means that Clinton Portis needs at total of 2,635 yards to become the #5 redskin all time career rushing leader, and thats of right now Im not even counting his stats from this season yet. If Portis can get 1,316 for this year and next year he will take over the #5 spot. So what Im trying to say is that Portis is a good back and I hope that we can keep him for a long time especially since hes my favorite player.

Archived