Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will a sexy cheerleader make you buy drugs?

China

Will a sexy cheerleader make you buy drugs?

Drug makers are giving it the old college try-- they're recruiting cheerleaders. Yes, you heard right! They're reportedly using former college cheerleaders to pitch prescription drugs to physicians.

The New York Times reports demand for cheerleaders is so strong, it has led to the formation of an employment firm named Spirited Sales Leaders, that pairs drug companies with a database of thousands of potential candidates.

At least one doctor questioned the drug companies' hiring priorities, calling the tactic "sexual marketing." He said that there's a saying that 'you'll never meet an ugly drug rep.' But the paper said that drugmakers deny that sex appeal has any bearing on hiring.

My grandmother lives directly behind a professional building (contains doctors, dentists, and optometrists). Every day as I'm eating lunch at her house, I watch the most attractive women go in and out of this office. First, they unload their choice for lunch or direct a caterer into the lounge area. They then unload their cases full of sample drugs and go into the lounge area themsleves. This happens on an almost daily basis. I wouldn't throw rocks at them, thats for sure.

Why should Doctors need salespeople to determine which drug to prescribe to their patients?

If one rep is better looking than another rep, is that the drug that gets prescribed?

If you stop and think about it, you will want to vomit. The pharmaceutical industry needs a bit of monitoring.

If I told you how much those 'sales reps' made, I think most of you would faint. And wake up angry.

I agree it's a shame that the pharmaceutical industry has to stoop to such lows -- but I'm really at a loss as to how else they can differentiate to physicians between competing (usually identical) drugs.

I don't believe they can outright pay them; so it's the "song and dance" of the sale on which they're pinning their hopes.

It's too bad -- but I think that's the reality here.

Why should Doctors need salespeople to determine which drug to prescribe to their patients?

If one rep is better looking than another rep, is that the drug that gets prescribed?

If you stop and think about it, you will want to vomit. The pharmaceutical industry needs a bit of monitoring.

If I told you how much those 'sales reps' made, I think most of you would faint. And wake up angry.

Plus, they push for newer drugs to be prescribed. When Celebrex, Vioxx and Bextra came out on the market.....they were intended for only a certain population to be used (elderly patients at risk for ulcers and patients with a history of ulcers).

Yet, b/c FDA approvals cost mucho dollars and obviously drug companies want to make as much $$$ on the drug before it's patent runs out, these drugs were really pushed to doctors to prescribe to everybody with some pain issue.

Despite that these drugs are really effective for pain management, nobody knew the long term side effects and complications that could occur from taking these medications.

As for Dr.'s, I'm not sure what they get in return for writing for the newer or more pushed medications. I just hope they are doing their homework and trying to write for things that will help the patient. However, sometimes the best therapy is something that been on the market for awhile and is much cheaper than the current popular drug.

Here is what I don't understand: Why the hell do doctors care so much about getting a free lunch? They already make the big $$.

They don't......but it's human nature.

Really good food, meanwhile a discussion (including clinical studies and other info.) on why drug X is the best drug to use for Problem Y.

While you're eating (and in a good mood b/c of a free lunch) it's a good way to get a one-on-one with a Dr. and to talk about your drug.

Easier to convince the Doc's why to use Drug X.

Plus, the doctors usually can get alot of samples of said drug to help patients who struggle with paying for prescriptions.

Archived