Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why isn't Campbell the starter next year?

Destino

What appeared to be the accepted formula for the QB positions was:

1 - Draft a stud QB

2 - Bench him for a year

3 - Start him year 2 where he will struggle and learn the NFL game

4 - QB ready to produce in year 3

So why isn't Campbell the accepted starter next year? The Bengals did this with Palmer even though their veteran QB was coming off a very good year. They certainly seemed to have benefitted from it.

Am I alone in thinking that Campbell should get the start next year?

The problem is that Palmer came from a Pro Style Offense just as Eli Manning, and Rothsenburger with Pittsburgh. That is why they can do it. Jason Campbell did not even do that well in college and I think he has the physical talent but he still is learning the quaterback position and not trying to just learn the difference between the NFL and College. It will take him a few more years of understudy

Maybe I missed something here, but what makes you think he won't be the starter next year?
Seems to be the general consensus on this board that either Brunell or Ramsey will get the start next season. Gibbs hasn't talked about next season, nor should he, as far as I know.

I don't think we have any idea who will start. The general feeling is that Brunell will start assuming he finishes this season and plays well in the preseason.

I would think if Campbell gets some PT and plays well, he has a shot.

One thing is for sure, I don't think Gibbs will be pronouncing anything until next year this time around.

Seems to be the general consensus on this board that either Brunell or Ramsey will get the start next season. Gibbs hasn't talked about next season, nor should he, as far as I know.
Well, the people that thought that Ramsey was going to be the starter were all caught, restrained, given their medicine and taken back to the big pretty building.

What appeared to be the accepted formula for the QB positions was:

1 - Draft a stud QB

2 - Bench him for a year

3 - Start him year 2 where he will struggle and learn the NFL game

4 - QB ready to produce in year 3

So why isn't Campbell the accepted starter next year? The Bengals did this with Palmer even thought their veteran QB was coming off a very good year. They certainly seemed to have benefitted from it.

Am I alone in thinking that Campbell should get the start next year?

You are not alone Destino. I guess it would just be kind of hard to bench a proven QB like Brunell for a unproven rookie...it's kinda scarey. But like you mentioned...the Bengals did it.

if we finish ther year strong, and have a lot to look forward to, then i think brunell will retire becuase we ended the season on a high note, especially if we make the playoffs. If he does retire, then i think that Jason Campbell will be the starter next season, and Patrick will be traded away, or forced to be backup again. But if we end the season on a sour note, brunell will most likely stay one more year, and probably get switched for Campbell in the middle or begining of next season.

I think it depends on how the team finishes this season. If we finish the year anything 8-8 or above, I expect to see Brunell as the starting qb next season. However, if we continue our losing ways and finish 7-9 or below, it may increase the possibility that Campbell will have a chance to have the job.

I thought it was the general consensus that Ramsey was probably going to be gone after this year. :whoknows:

I think the job will be open next year, but Campbell will have to beat out Brunell. Gibbs just doesn't hand people the job. (As proven this year..)

Jason

Archived