Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins need to study the Colts!

IrepDC

Now obviously we don't have the same talent that the Colts have. But if we wanna be great we need to study greatness. The Colts definately know how to win and we definately know how to lose. We need to be more like the Colts.

Example: STUDY THE STEELERS GAME! That is a blueprint for how you win games. On Offense, the Colts NEVER let up, they were trying to score the entire game. And even though they didn't continue to score the entire game, the fact that they were actually trying to score made their drives longer and not 3 and outs. They kept the Steelers' D off balance because EVEN in the 4th qtr they threw in a pass, get this, ON FIRST OR SECOND DOWN from time to time. Another thing I noticed was "Edge". He runs HARD in the 4th qtr, he puts that team on his back when the games on the line. On many of his runs he was hit at the line of scrimmage but he fought and would end up gaining 6 and 7 yards. And don't tell me it was the o-line because he was getting hit in the backfield. He just wanted it more. By now, you should know who I'm comparing James to, our guy Portis. I know that Portis can be great. We need him to step up when the games on the line, like the other RB from the "U". Too many times I have seen Portis simply fall down from an arm tackle in the 4th qtr when he should be running through everything. It sometimes seems like he is expecting the hit so he just gives up, instead of driving his legs he simply falls or dives. He needs to get a pep talk from John Riggins or something. I won't accept people saying he can't fit our running scheme. There are RB's much smaller than Portis that run harder between the tackles. Who you ask, look at little Warrick Dunn in ATL and tell me he doesn't lower his shoulders and drive his legs better than CP does. Again, this is not because CP is a bad RB, he's young and some1 needs to explain these things two him.

Another thing I noticed was the Colts Defense. Again, they NEVER let up. Other than on the D-Line, I'm not sure if they have more talent than us. But they definately play harder than us. They're like a pack a wolves out there. Sometimes I wonder if our D gets tired from hitting most of the weak in practice. Joe Gibbs makes our O and D go full speed A LOT during the week. Maybe they get worn down. Sometimes when you DON'T get to go full speed in practice you get extra hungry for contact on Sundays. Just a thought. And to anyone who said that we shouldn't go after D-lineman like the Colts have because they wouldn't be as good against the run, well I saw something different last night. Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis looked better against the run than Phillup Daniels and Renaldo Wynn have looked. I saw them taking on double teams and holding there ground. It really made me hope that one of those two or even Monte Reagor is let go to FA.

So, Joe Gibbs needs to study the Colts' playcalling when they have a lead. Clinton Portis needs to study how James runs- because I believe they have similar size and style- in the 4th quarter. And our defense needs to be hungrier, with better conditioning(and maybe some new d-linemen). Okay my rambling is over now. :2cents:

First things first, then. We need to suck for like 10 years, consistently draft in the top five, then finally have manna drop from heaven and draft one of the best QB's in NFL history with the #1 pick.

I like the latter part. Not so crazy about the former though. :)

its easy to say let be the colts, patriots, or your favorite winning team. its obvious that everyone has to do a better job from the top down from the coaches to the players to become a winning team.

yea i was impressed that the colts continued to punish the steelers even though they couldn't get anything going on offense. i wish we played like that. there is nothing wrong with dominating a team on the stat sheet and score board.

I said it in a related post and here it is again:

The only thing the colts coaching staff did was get some good defensive players. the true coach of that team is Peyton Manning. He calls the plays. He is smart when audibleing. I;ve seen coach dungy try to bring some players on the feild and i've seen peyton wave those same players right back off the feild. I've also seen peyton wave off the punt and FG teams at times and go for it on 4th down. THat kind of creativity and risk taking are what brings the colts their success. Defenses have no idea what the colts are gonna do next. But im sure they all have a pretty good idea of what we are about to do. That's why we are 5-6 and the colts are 11-0

Guest sith lord
I said it in a related post and here it is again:

The only thing the colts coaching staff did was get some good defensive players. the true coach of that team is Peyton Manning. He calls the plays. He is smart when audibleing. I;ve seen coach dungy try to bring some players on the feild and i've seen peyton wave those same players right back off the feild. I've also seen peyton wave off the punt and FG teams at times and go for it on 4th down. THat kind of creativity and risk taking are what brings the colts their success. Defenses have no idea what the colts are gonna do next. But im sure they all have a pretty good idea of what we are about to do. That's why we are 5-6 and the colts are 11-0

No. The true coach of the Colts is Tony Dungy. He just happens to have the best QB in the league.

So you want Brunell to start calling the plays at the line of scrimmage? There was a whole segment on this before the game: "Why the Colts offense is so good." The Colts always line up there players the same way like 99% of the time, which gives Manning like 35 to 40 seconds to call the play based on how the defense lines up. It also allows him to change the play. They even went as far as to say that Manning studies every defensive position and defensive formation of who they are playing. On top of all of this, Manning has been running virtually the same offense for along time.

How in the world do expect Brunell to pull this off?

On defense, it is not just a matter of wanting it more. In my opnion, they are more disciplined and healthy than we are at this point.

First things first, then. We need to suck for like 10 years, consistently draft in the top five, then finally have manna drop from heaven and draft one of the best QB's in NFL history with the #1 pick.

Isnt that exactly what has been happening? Aside from a franchice QB falling from heaven :laugh:

Isnt that exactly what has been happening? Aside from a franchice QB falling from heaven :laugh:

Sucking, in this context, is a relative term. :)

But yes, the latter part of your question is the key here. And not just a "franchise" QB, by the way, but one that may well go down in history on the very short list for Best Ever.

Why study the Colts we don't have close to the personell they have:doh:

Exactly, I think the only Redskins who could start on the Colts are Moss over Wayne or Stokley, Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs. We have good linebackers but their system is built on flat out speed.June and those guys are incredibly fast. James is better than Portis, Clark cancels out Cooley. The O-line and D-line goes without saying. QB goes without saying, as does just about every position on special teams. Vanderjagt makes a 53 yarder to win games he doesnt shank it AND come up short. Not to mention their punter actually gives them good field position.

Sucking, in this context, is a relative term. :)

But yes, the latter part of your question is the key here. And not just a "franchise" QB, by the way, but one that may well go down in history on the very short list for Best Ever.

I agree, if he gets some titles under his belt when it is all said and done he might be looked at as the greatest QB to ever play.

I think its unfair to mention the Colts success without mentioning the excellent job they have done rebuilding that defense. Manning, James and Harrison have been constants, but that defense has improved immensely over the last couple of seasons. They have alot of speed on their defense and have some physical players in their secondary. They have done an excellent job in finding gems such as Cato June, Robert Mathis, the safeties Sanders and Doss, in the draft.

Color me impressed.

I think its unfair to mention the Colts success without mentioning the excellent job they have done rebuilding that defense. Manning, James and Harrison have been constants, but that defense has improved immensely over the last couple of seasons. They have alot of speed on their defense and have some physical players in their secondary. They have done an excellent job in finding gems such as Cato June, Robert Mathis, the safeties Sanders and Doss, in the draft.

Color me impressed.

Where did they find this defense?

In the draft too bad our team doesn't believe in that sort of thing:puke:

It starts with ownership. They have a much more patient approach then we do. We make trade after trade and go for the big names meanwhile throwing draft picks away like trash. The Colts build their own team and seldomly court other players from other teams. They let their guys develop and take care of them when contract time rolls around. There is familiarity in the organization. We build teams the wrong way. Hopefully over time gibbs changes this. Look at the bears, you take away that front 4 and they are as mediocre as they come. They have set themselves up for success by improving the right positions.

Where did they find this defense?

In the draft too bad our team doesn't believe in that sort of thing:puke:

What's really impressive is how they have utilized the draft as a means of building their defense, while being a winning football team. They have had only 1 losing season since 1999 and have been drafting late in the first round for the most part. They have done an excellent job of finding players to fit that defense, despite their low draft position.

It starts with ownership. They have a much more patient approach then we do. We make trade after trade and go for the big names meanwhile throwing draft picks away like trash. The Colts build their own team and seldomly court other players from other teams. They let their guys develop and take care of them when contract time rolls around. There is familiarity in the organization. We build teams the wrong way. Hopefully over time gibbs changes this. Look at the bears, you take away that front 4 and they are as mediocre as they come. They have set themselves up for success by improving the right positions.

It all starts up front on both sides of the ball :cheers: Our O line is overrated talent wise and phillosphy wise Buges doesn't looks so great with out a huge innovative size advantage :doh:

You forgot the part about leavng the Metro area for a dome in the Midwest.

I would say management even more than ownership. Colts ownership has been as bad as any ownership ever, buuut they got their hands on Bill Polian who is building another dynasty. Good management can save bad ownership.

I don't think the Colts called the 3rd and 4th quarter much differently than we did on offense. The difference was the yards they were able to gain on the ground to keep drives alive, and that their defense didn't suffer any breakdowns.

We passed aggressively on our long drive in the 3rd quarter that ended with Cartwright's TD putting us up by 10. It sure looked like we were trying to score. The Colts took advantage of Pittsburgh's failed onside kick to score a TD on a short drive to open their 3rd quarter. Their only other score was a FG after they were given another short field late in the 4th.

In the fourth quarter the Colts ran 10 times and passed twice, and those passes were for a grand total of 3 yards. We attempted 7 passes, including one on first down which was one of Royal's drops. But for us, that quarter featured 2.9 yards per rush, two holding calls, a sack, a fumble out of bounds, and 3 punts under 40 yards that eroded our field position.

The Colts are great fun to watch and do a lot of things we need to aspire to. But to say simply that we didn't try to score in the 2nd half is way too simplistic. The play calling was worth questioning in spots, but was in no way as responsible as our poor execution for letting SD back in the game.

Archived