Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quater Backs after Gibbs!! Look at who we have run out of town

Ynot

Why are we so ready to throw out quaterbacks like Brunell and Ramsey. I still think Ramsey could be a quaterback that would work well in the system. I remember how so many wanted to get rid of Doug Williams (superbowl winner), aother number 11 (Mark Rypien) superbowl winner! We had two quaterbacks that were run out of town and yet started agaisnt each other in superbowls (Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon). Then there is Trent Green who we ran out of town and has been an incredible producer for the Rams and the Chiefs. Hell Even Gus Ferrotte is winning some games in Miami and even beat Oakland in which we coud not.

I do not think Ramsey has been given his fair shake and I would hate to see him on another team winning football games. Neither him nor Brunnell did anything in the preseason and Brunnell did nothing in the beginning of the season, he has gotten better but I do think that maybe his arm strength is getting weaker and has not been a deep ball threat at all other than two against Dallas that we all loved.

I do not think Campbell is ready nor will he be ready he did not come from a pro style offense out of college and he looked it in the preseason. He will need time and I think he has the possible to do great things but he will have to wait his turn as Williams, Rypien did! I still think Ramsey is the quaterback for the next three seasons he just needs time to get with Gibs system just as it took time for all the quaterbacks mentioned that won the superbowl above!!!

Trading Ramsey will leave a void were we do not have a quaterback that knows the system with a 36 year old running the offense. Campbell is not ready and will not ready for 2 years at least. Trading Brunell at his age will not get much and again we will not have a back up ready to assume the roll. As we have seen through out the NFL you have to have a good backup and there are not former Gibbs quaterbacks in the league like Bledsoe was for Parcells!!

So with Gibbs track record in making it to superowls with 3 different quaterbacks, I think it is more the system and executing than the quaterback, Look at what the Ravens, The Bears, Warner has done nothining since leaving the Rams, Elway could not win it on is own, Marino could not win it on his on, Give Gibbs a chance remember he benched Williams and Rypien before they become better quaterbacks and won the superbowl!!!!!

Ramsey + Brunell + Campbell = somebody not getting a fair shake

I hate it.

Agreed. I bet there as much as we do hate it, there are many teams in the league who wish they had the same problem. Ask the Jets, Texans, Browns, and until recently the Steelers how they feel about that.

By the way......it's spelled......."Quarterback"

I agree that Campbell is the future but he will have to wait his turn just as Rypien did, it is ramsey who needs to be starting next week and for the next 2 years. If we trade Ramsey we will be left with a 36 year old who I think will be an incredible back up after this year that way his arm and legs want get tired and Campbell who is a work in progress, they even said in College he was still a work in Progress. Give him 2 more years to learn the quaterback position first, His name is not Manning or Rotheslinberger

Williams "got run out of town" for Rypien.

Do you think it was a mistake?

I sure don't.

Williams had the quarter of his life against Denver, he was our starter in 1988. His age finally began catching up with him and Rypien displayed enough to prove to Coach Gibbs he was ready and became our full time starter in 1989.

Rypien was done when Norv came on board in 1994. I don't think after watching Ryp struggle in 92 and 93, there is any reason to think he would have suddenly turned it around with a bad Norv team in 94 or 95.

Rich Gannon was a scrub QB when we got him. He continued to be a backup for about 5 more seasons after he left us before catching on with the Raiders. I don't see where we made a mistake with him.

Trent Green. Here's where we blew it. We failed to resign him and let the Rams woo him away from us.

Brad Johnson. Great in 99. Bad in 2000. Became a baby and wouldn't resign with us (because that mean old Dan Snyder had the gall to bring in a legit QB to back him up.....poor baby Brad) even if we wanted him and I'm not sure Marty wanted him when he came here anyway.

We've made a few errors but not as many as you suggest. Gibbs wanted Jason Campbell, he wanted him bad. That's good enough for me, until I see otherwise.

A gree with your statements the point is that those quaterbacks got with a good system and teams that beleived in the system and they won, Gannon, Green, Johnson and if you go back and look at the stats for Gannon and Johnson they had better numbers here we had a terrible defense during those years, the system was not in place.

I think Gibbs has a plan for Campbell and it will not be this year or next. I still think Ramsey should be the starter for next year. His game agaisnt the Bears was inspiring if you look at his performance at there defense compared to all the other quarterbacks to face them!!!! If Cooley had caught the ball this could all be moot point.

Well I think we should allow Campbell to start NOW he needs to be in there learning the game. The coaching staff already destroyed this year why not allow him to start and learn. I don't want to here the mathmatical shot at the playoffs. We will not be in the post season and Gibbs can thank himself for his terrible second half play calling. Remember nice guys finish last. Coaches teach mentality and as much as it pains me to say it the skins can't finish teams off because instead of instilling a killer instinct Gibbs would rather blame losses on bad calls by ref's. Remember kill the brain and the body will follow. The one thing I loved about Gibbs before was he was able to look at the players he had and build a system to compliment the rosters stregnths. Somewhere Gibbs has forgotten how to do that and this is why he will further tarnish his hall of fame credentials.

Yeah... let's not forget the other great QB's we ran outta here...

John Friesz... Heath Shuler... Gibran Hamdan... Tony Banks... Jeff George...

Shame Mattews...Danny Awefull.........Rob 'Duuuuude' Johnson......

I disagree that we ran Trent Green out of town. He could still be our QB today if not for the fact that his contract ran out at an unfortunate time. Remember Trent wanted to stay here but decided to sign with his hometown Rams because the ownership situation here was unsettled. Remember that Snyder didn't become the owner until after Trent signed with the Rams.

I agree with scruffylooking that Brad would've been here except he did become a baby when he realized he had competiton behind him. He completely folded with J. George standing on the sideline. If Brad had his way we would still have his best friend Casey Weldon as our backup. I think Brad's a decent QB who won't lose games for you but he won't win too many of them for you either. Don't get fooled by the 4-0 as a starter in Minnesota that's a combination of playing bad teams (with the exception of the NYG) and exceptional play form the defense and special teams.

Rypien and Williams were through when we got rid of them and Gannon needed another 5+ seasons of riding the pine before he became a legit player.

Shuler was just a bust (I actauly had an authentic Shuler jersey!)

Friez, Matthews, Banks, Rob Johnson, and Wuerfuel I'm just enbarrased these guys even got to wear the burgundy and gold. (and to think Matthews thought he should be able to wear Sonny's #9 )

I like Ramsey a lot but I think he will probably need a change of scenery for him to reach his potential. It's shame we wasted his talent by letting Spurrier allow defenders to pummell him every Sunday and then had Gibbs just shatter his confidence by trading for Brunnell and signing him to starter's money then giving him the job only to have it yanked away after a half of subpar offense against what would turn out to be the leagues best defense. I hope the skins trade Patrick for a high draft pick and he goes somewhere where he can flourish (hopefully to a team we don't play very often)

Unfortunately, the hand writting is on the wall.

You don't give up what we did to get Campbell to have him sit behind Ramsey. As much as I like Patrick, his days are numbered with the Redskins.

Exactly, this statement pretty much says it all. Also, IMHO Campbell was drafted to replace whoever failed at their chance to start...and we all know who that is. Let Ramsey move on to prosper somewhere else, he deserves it.

What everyone seems to forget, Gibbs does not start Rookies and will not. He drafted Campbell for the future just as he drafted Rypien. Campbell has two more years of study at least. If we trade Ramsey who will we have as a backup!!! At least with Ramsey we have someone who knows the system now and I beleive could do a better job once he is ever gievn the chance with a complete gameplan. I beleive you hang on to Brunnell since he knows the system and he will be a great back up and tutor to Jason Campbell. I believe you will see ramsey as your Starter Next year. I beleive this was Gibbs motive all along. If he dislikes Ramseys as much as people say he would have traded him already. Secondly I can remember when Rypien was benched! Doug Williams was benched in order to better understand the system.

We talked about all these quaterbacks and the whole point of this thread was it is the system and not just the Quaterback under Gibbs. He won three superbowls with 3 different quaterbacks. The quaterback yes is there to make plays and limit his mistakes but Gibbs knows how to groom his quaterbacks and find a way to win. Remember he started 0-5 and the follwoing year went to the Superbowl in a strike shorten year and his offense did not really take off until the third year and got trounced in the superbowl. Gibbs will create an atmosphere and philosphy to win for years if given a chance that is why he drfated Campbell not for now or even next year but fo rthe future. Remember when he was rehired he wanted to bring respect back to the redskins for years to come and not just his tenure. He will have the receivers he wants by next year, he will have his offensive line fixed and will have tihgtends that will catch the ball if thrown to them. I still think his biggest fix is the offensive line, remember his only constant while coaching was his Offensive Line and Defensive lines. You will see them improve or be replaced.

Good Points on Stan humphries also. Just as I have siad it takes a good Quaterback but it does not have to be a great one. If so Marino would have won. It takes a system and a quaterback that fits the system and is willing to play within the system. I think Gibbs knows what he needs but he is not publicaly going to say it. He knows what he needs to do to get the offensive line and the defensive lines better. They two areas were the most consistant is his previous tenure and I think he needs to go back to that for his long term goals.

Does anyone know How many quarterbacks Gibbs cut or traded for the last time he was coach?

the Redskins need to regain some draft choices or there is going to be very little improvement in this team for 2006. Patrick Ramsey has some value on the market and I would be very surprised if the Redskins aren't almost forced to trade him to be able to do some things on Day 1 of the draft.

as far as backups go, there were years where Gibbs DID risk a lot by going with backups like Bob Holly and Chris Hakel behind Joe Theismann.

He didn't always have a veteran. After Doug Williams left, Stan Humphries backed up Rypien until Jeff Rutledge came aboard.

I think you will see Brunell and Campbell back next year.

Archived