Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Specter of antitrust: Senator says T.O. mistreated (Merged)

SonnyRules

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2240403

Didn't really know where to put this story from ESPN, but the Tailgate seemed the most appropriate because of the political implications.

This is what we really need....the government getting involved with the NFL.

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Sen. Arlen Specter is accusing the National Football League and the Philadelphia Eagles of treating Terrell Owens unfairly.

The Pennsylvania Republican says he might refer the matter to the antitrust subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which he is the chairman.

Specter said at a news conference Monday in Harrisburg it was "vindictive and inappropriate" for the league and the Eagles to forbid the all-pro wide receiver from playing and to prevent other teams from talking to him. He said, "It's a restraint of trade for them to do that" and "it might be a violation of antitrust laws."

Some other legal experts disagree.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch said last week the team's actions were supported by the labor agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association.

The Eagles suspended Owens on Nov. 5 for four games without pay for "conduct detrimental to the team." They deactivated him with pay on Sunday after the suspension ended.

This just in "Peace summit organized between Eagles and Owens by..............Jimmy Carter". Carter said in a statement earlier today "I expect these 2 sides to work hard at achieving nothing and when it's all said and done, I'll get another Nobel Peace Prize."

Why can't this **** about TO stop till the offseason

This just in "Peace summit organized between Eagles and Owens by..............Jimmy Carter". Carter said in a statement earlier today "I expect these 2 sides to work hard at achieving nothing and when it's all said and done, I'll get another Nobel Peace Prize."

LMAO!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

First off, I cannot see any reason to support a cry baby and idiot who can only blame himself for his situation. Second, does Sen. Specter not have anything better to do with his time? I'm sure the Sen will be too busy worrying about Owens to care and I do not live in PA, but I sent him my thoughts that he should be doing more with his time as a member of Congress than worrying about a million dollar cry baby who will sit at home and collect a hefty paycheck.

Nice 1 :laugh:

It was all done in honor of Menachem Begin to boot :D

Specter is just a disgruntled fan with too much power so he wants to rattle some cages:

"I am madder than hell at what he has done in ruining the Eagles' season," the Pennsylvania Republican said. "I think he's in flagrant breach of his contract and I believe the Eagles would be within their rights in not paying him another dime or perhaps even suing him for damages."

From this article: Sen. Specter Defends Terrell Owens

(BTW, I see ESPN is doing minimalistic, shoddy reporting by not including much detail)

Tue Nov 29, 8:56 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA - Sen. Arlen Specter (news, bio, voting record) accused the National Football League and the Philadelphia Eagles of treating Terrell Owens unfairly and said he might refer the matter to the antitrust subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which he chairs

Specter said at a news conference Monday in Harrisburg it was "vindictive and inappropriate" for the league and the Eagles to forbid the all-pro wide receiver from playing and prevent other teams from talking to him.

"It's a restraint of trade for them to do that, and the thought crosses my mind, it might be a violation of antitrust laws," Specter said, though some other legal experts disagreed.

The Eagles suspended Owens on Nov. 5 for four games without pay for "conduct detrimental to the team, and deactivated him with pay on Sunday after the suspension ended.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch said last week the team's actions were supported by the labor agreement between the league and the NFL Players Association.

"The arbitrator's decision is consistent with our collective bargaining agreement, and it simply enforced the terms of the player's contract," Greg Aiello, an NFL spokesman, said Monday.

"To have an antitrust violation, you have to have a contract or conspiracy in restraint of trade," said Robert McCormick, a law professor at Michigan State University.

Matthew J. Mitten, director of the National Sports Law Institute at Marquette University, said, "We're in the labor arena, not antitrust."

Specter emphasized that he was "not a supporter of Terrell Owens."

"I am madder than hell at what he has done in ruining the Eagles' season," the Pennsylvania Republican said. "I think he's in flagrant breach of his contract and I believe the Eagles would be within their rights in not paying him another dime or perhaps even suing him for damages."

But Specter said, "I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him (by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season). He's not committed a crime, he's committed a breach of contract. And what they're doing against him is vindictive."

All the crying is fine but is he right? Would this qualify as "restraint of trade"? I don't know enough about anti-trust laws so if anyone does please feel free to chime in.

Well from the article I posted the experts don't seem to think it qualifies:

"To have an antitrust violation, you have to have a contract or conspiracy in restraint of trade," said Robert McCormick, a law professor at Michigan State University.

Matthew J. Mitten, director of the National Sports Law Institute at Marquette University, said, "We're in the labor arena, not antitrust."

I never liked Specter. He was on the Warren Commission that refused to consider all of the evidence in the Kennedy assasination. He spoke out of both sides of his mouth back then too.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was Specter that came up with the "Magic Bullet Theory" for the Warren Commission.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was Specter that came up with the "Magic Bullet Theory" for the Warren Commission.

I believe your right but not 100% sure. Of course Gerald Ford was on the Warren commission, he is also the only person to hold the presidency after never being elected to anything. Since Agnew resigned and then Nixon, maybe that was his reward for going "along" with the commission. Maybe I should stop writing before this turns into a JFk conspiracy thread.

Specter of antitrust: Senator says T.O. mistreated

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Sen. Arlen Specter has accused the NFL and the Philadelphia Eagles of treating Terrell Owens unfairly, and might refer the matter to the antitrust subcommittee of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Owens

Specter, who chairs the Judiciary Committee, said at a news conference Monday in Harrisburg it was "vindictive and inappropriate" for the league and the Eagles to forbid the star wide receiver from playing and prevent other teams from talking to him.

"It's a restraint of trade for them to do that, and the thought crosses my mind, it might be a violation of antitrust laws," Specter said.

The Eagles suspended Owens on Nov. 5 for four games without pay for "conduct detrimental to the team, and deactivated him with pay on Sunday after the suspension ended.

"The arbitrator's decision is consistent with our collective bargaining agreement, and it simply enforced the terms of the player's contract," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said.

Some legal experts disagreed with Specter's view.

Specter emphasized that he was "not a supporter of Terrell Owens."

But Specter said, "I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him [by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season]. He's not committed a crime, he's committed a breach of contract. And what they're doing against him is vindictive."

Looks like Washington (congress) is rescuing Owens from the scums of the philly franchise....

hopefully Owens will show his gratitude to congress by joining THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS.

He didnt do anything wrong!

i gladly welcome T.O. to D.C. and i will immediatley buy his jersey!

all you old fart "conservative dont care about winning as long as we show class" redskin fans need to wake the hell up and start using your head.

we need some vocal leaders

and just so everyone is aware, T.O. will have in his contract clauses that keep him from saying certain things to the media.

Lets go Danny! you know what to do.

He didnt do anything wrong!

i gladly welcome T.O. to D.C. and i will immediatley buy his jersey!

all you old fart "conservative dont care about winning as long as we show class" redskin fans need to wake the hell up and start using your head.

we need some vocal leaders

and just so everyone is aware, T.O. will have in his contract clauses that keep him from saying certain things to the media.

Lets go Danny! you know what to do.

Your language is offensive.

chillpill.jpg

Specter of antitrust: Senator says T.O. mistreated

But Specter said, "I do not believe, personally, that it is appropriate to punish him [by forcing him to sit out the rest of the season]. He's not committed a crime, he's committed a breach of contract. And what they're doing against him is vindictive."

Yeah, well he's not going to jail, he's just not being allowed to play football, Arlen.

Archived