Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Locking up our younger players....

NoCalMike

Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley come to mind immediately, as two core guys that I think we NEED to lock up long term. Who else comes to mind? (This also will help me decide which jersey to buy next as I really don't want to buy a jersey of a player that will be gone in a few seasons...lol)

Both of those guys need to be Redskins for life! Moss, Washington, Portis, and Arrington are allready locked up for a while longer I believe. Thats a pretty good start.

Also Lemar Marshall deserves an extention in my opinion. I think he's a free agent after this year...

Sean Taylor and Chris Cooley come to mind immediately, as two core guys that I think we NEED to lock up long term. Who else comes to mind?

Taylor signed for 7 years and Cooley for 4 years. Thats long enough to start with. If you were to sign them to a still longer extension and give them another signing bonus, what happens if they go down with a career-ending injury? I'll tell you what happens. The Redskins would be stuck for a humungus cap hit when they had to release them, that's what.

Besides, we have all of our younger players locked up who are any good, at least through 2006, either by contract or they are restricted free agents, which means they aren't going anywhere. The only exception is Rock Cartwright. And after he cost us the Kansas City game with his fumble (a 10-point turnaround at the time), I'm not too enamored with him now.

We should keep these players:

Taylor, Ryan Clark, Washington, Marshall, Rogers, Griffin, Portis, Moss, Cooley.

IMO, everyone else is despensable.

BTW, that includes Arrington even though he's one of the best players on the team. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but I also understand the benefits of cutting him.

BTW, that includes Arrington even though he's one of the best players on the team. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but I also understand the benefits of cutting him.

There is NO benefit in CUTTING Arrington and taking a humungus cap hit. :doh: The Redskins might be able to cut their losses and trade him for someone of value.

Taylor signed for 7 years and Cooley for 4 years. Thats long enough to start with. If you were to sign them to a still longer extension and give them another signing bonus, what happens if they go down with a career-ending injury? I'll tell you what happens. The Redskins would be stuck for a humungus cap hit when they had to release them, that's what.

Inmate -- I thought there was a limit to the length of rookie contracts, like 5 years or something...are you sure Taylor is signed for 7 years? I'm not doubting you, just trying to get my facts straight.

Probably would help to have a list of players who are FA after this season:

7 Ray Brown OG

10 Khary Campbell LB

11 Rock Cartwright RB

12 Ryan Clark S

13 Chris Clemons LB

14 Nic Clemons DE

18 Demetric Evans DE

24 Warrick Holdman LB

27 Ade Jimoh CB

30 Cedric Killings DT

31 Brian Kozlowski TE

44 Robert Royal TE

49 Omar Stoutmire S

Jason

Clemons & Clemons, Evans and Killings are all must-sign, in my opinion. They are all young, home-grown players with the potential to have a huge impact on our defense. Chris Clemons has started to look like he has the makings of becoming a Burgess-like pass rusher. I have a bad feeling that someone will sign him away from us...maybe the Iggles.

Archived